BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #23
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Care to share what the fix was incase another member runs into the same issue?
Posted in post #10 above

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
...situations like this where the ECU is corrupted and needs to be recovered with the "Detect CAF for SWE" feature in ESYS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
It would be as follows:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      11-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #24
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
replied.

In my long-term coding experience (began in 2009 with F01 7er), I have become very comfortable and experienced using ESYS. I bought the BimmerCode and BimmerLink apps and related Bluetooth adapter when they came on the scene ... but really only used it for iDrive 5/6 Video in Motion when ESYS coding had limited that to 40 mph. I've been "lazy" a few times over the years and wanted to make a quick coding tweaks so i resorted to BimmerCode instead of getting my coding setup on my laptop booted up

I've found that why Bimmercode is unreliable is due to the interface. The Bluetooth is unreliable for ECUs with large data ... ie. BDC and will often crash leaving situations like this where the ECU is corrupted and needs to be recovered with the "Detect CAF for SWE" feature in ESYS ... similar to what is done for brand new parts which I've retrofitted over the years to various vehicles ... or helped people with coding "donor" parts to their cars. It's a pretty reliable fix 99% of the time can recover these situations caused by the Bluetooth interface used with ESYS

Stephen has provided an update in Bimmercode I'm guessing about 1 year ago now and you can use a traditional ENET Cable with your iOS or Android device. I have used this recently and I am impressed at how quick and reliable BimmerCode is with using this interface. It's the ONLY way I will ever user BimmerCode/BimmerLink moving forward.

My iPad PRO has a USB-C connector and first tried there. Bought an Ethernet to lightning adapter for my iPhone ... results are the same. Long story short, if you insist on using BimmerCode instead of ESYS, then get yourself a ENET Cable and appropriate adapter cable for your device to add an Ethernet port and use it in this manner.... never use one of the wireless interfaces again, and you should not experience these issues moving forward.
What about using WiFi instead of Bluetooth? I've used the following adapter with Bimmercode and it's lightning fast and I have had no issues coding with it using WiFi. https://burgertuning.com/products/mh...30318091141235. I use it with an Android phone but it's compatible with IOS as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
What about using WiFi instead of Bluetooth? I've used the following adapter with Bimmercode and it's lightning fast and I have had no issues coding with it using WiFi. https://burgertuning.com/products/mh...30318091141235. I use it with an Android phone but it's compatible with IOS as well.
My experience with the wifi and bluetooth dongles compatible with bimmercode are less than perfect. They are slow and unreliable as I have had multiple incidents of "larger" ECUs crashing during coding. I personally recommend a hard-wired approved adapter. Do as you wish, but i'll never use the wireless ones again
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #26
liquidneon
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ix 6MT

Same thing happened to me and im in a tough spot

"instrument panel malfunction" showing in the car after using Bimmercode and backup/recovery did not work. It keeps failing and now "coding data is invalid" in Bimmercode. Can I get some help please? I'm having the same issue... i have several error codes popping up in the car and no way to recover the codes for Instrument Panel. Any help would be much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #27
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidneon View Post
Same thing happened to me and im in a tough spot

"instrument panel malfunction" showing in the car after using Bimmercode and backup/recovery did not work. It keeps failing and now "coding data is invalid" in Bimmercode. Can I get some help please? I'm having the same issue... i have several error codes popping up in the car and no way to recover the codes for Instrument Panel. Any help would be much appreciated!!
Hopefully you've tried PMing CaboM4 ... were you using a cable or wifi/bt?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #28
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Glad it worked out for you OP! This is why I only do very few things. Not a good position to be in. Nice cabo. What should we do with CABO?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #29
liquidneon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Hopefully you've tried PMing CaboM4 ... were you using a cable or wifi/bt?
Will message Cabo now.

I was using Wifi connection and VGate adapter. Probably had a few too many things be coded at once. AFTER the issue, I learned it's best to do one coding at a time
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #30
liquidneon
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Will message Cabo now.

I was using Wifi connection and VGate adapter. Probably had a few too many things be coded at once. AFTER the issue, I learned it's best to do one coding at a time
Update - I tried the recovery from backup again (probably the 6th time I tried) and it miraculously worked! She's back and error free... lesson learned. 1 code at a time going forward!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #31
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
No worries ... happy to help (took all of 2 mins! )
That's like me an Excel or PowerPoint...takes someone 2 min...takes me 2 hours.

That was my worst fear when I 'coded' the first time (w/IPad and ENET cable)....now I know who to go to IF I get into a jam.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 04:06 AM   #32
Ykbeema
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i F33

Help @CaboM4

Quote:
I hate Bimmercode for this reason, and why I use ESYS. DO you have a windows computer and ENET Cable? If so i can help you recover it
Hi, I'm having a similar issue as the op but with a/c control unit in my case. I was really hoping if you could help me out as well.. I would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:34 AM   #33
liquidneon
Canada
Rep

as an FYI - I tried 2 or 3 times the first day, and again the next day and it managed to restore defaults. So keep trying. The app is meant to do that, but I tried it a few different ways and eventually it worked. I can't remember what I did exactly, but the "failed" message eventually didn't pop up and car was back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #34
Ykbeema
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i F33

Quote:
as an FYI - I tried 2 or 3 times the first day, and again the next day and it managed to restore defaults. So keep trying. The app is meant to do that, but I tried it a few different ways and eventually it worked. I can't remember what I did exactly, but the "failed" message eventually didn't pop up and car was back to normal.

I tried doing it next day after failing to do so 4-5 times on my first day. I have let my car go completely asleep then tried again. Tried restarting my phone (as guided in bimmercode support) nothing worked so far. I just got my hands on the cable but I'm having trouble navigating through esys
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #35
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ykbeema View Post
I tried doing it next day after failing to do so 4-5 times on my first day. I have let my car go completely asleep then tried again. Tried restarting my phone (as guided in bimmercode support) nothing worked so far. I just got my hands on the cable but I'm having trouble navigating through esys
shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll figure out a time to connect and help you out
Appreciate 2
floop20.00
Sample57.00
      07-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #36
Mrpandahead
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Cooper SE

Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me out. I have a 2023 Mini Cooper SE (electric) which I bought 2 weeks ago.

I used Bimmercode with my Android phone Samsung S21 and a Veepeak BLE adapter successfully to change settings in the car over the last week. A few days ago I changed a setting in the AC (automatic climate control) ECU section and got an error. The app would not let me restore the setting. It just shows unable to recover just like it shows on OP post. I have contacted the Bimmercode app developer and they said to use a enet cable which I ordered and is coming tomorrow.

The strange thing is that I can still change other ECU sections such as Headunit or body domain controller with the app and veepeak. So I'm not sure the problem is with the veepeak. Since the error the defrost button blinks continually with the car on or off, the AC does not work at all(fans blow warm air), and the underhood car fan blows very loudly for hours while car is charging . I have disconnected the 12v battery to try to reset but it did nothing. I tried pulling various fuses to see if that would reset the AC ECU unit with no success.

If anyone can help me restore the AC/automatic air control part I would be really grateful.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #37
Mrpandahead
Registered
Rep

Sorry I'm new here but have been posting under Joe C at insideevs Cooper SE section, apparently I can't PM for a week and after certain number of verifiable posts? Cabom4, if you're reading this I can create an email address just to communicate. Getting desperate..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 03:46 PM   #38
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I would recommend posting on a MINI Cooper forum but perhaps someone on this forum can help you. Wish you good luck.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #39
Mrpandahead
Registered
Rep

I already posted in the mini Cooper forum and they advised me to post here to specifically reach out to CaboM4 given that it's Bimmercode, very similar situation with bimmercode bricking the automatic air conditioning, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 04:13 AM   #40
Mrpandahead
Registered
Rep

Fixed! Stephan from Bimmercode replied back once I got the enet cable and offered to remote into my windows laptop. He had me download esys but once everything was setup he was able to fix it in 2 minutes! Basically restored the automatic AC ECU back to stock. Everything back to normal! Whew!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 06:29 AM   #41
E91toG05
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I am taking from this post that anyone coding needs to have a windows PC and enet cable on standby at all times as a safety backup.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 10:01 AM   #42
CygnusX101
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘23 Mini Cooper S

Similar issue

Just got bit by what seems to be a similar issue using BimmerCode..

‘23 Mini Cooper, attempted to make a few minor tweaks and it failed while finishing coding…

Where I am now is that I can connect (VLinker BM+ and IPhone 13 Pro), read everything and the Headunit section has a red dot next to it. When I enter, it gives the option to restore from backup however no backups are listed (usually). After a few tries, I’ve gotten the backup to show, but when I attempt to restore, it gets through the process to the tail end then throws an error.

More times than not connecting, I can’t even see the backups listed (though I can see them in the BimmerCode/backups folder on the phone.

Net / net is right now the head unit / iDrive will not boot up. Grrrr.

Downloaded and set-up E-sys (properly, I “think”) and now waiting on the cable to show up (should be Friday).

Not the outcome I was hoping for on the new ride with 200 miles on the clock…

Any insight into anything I may be able to try while waiting for the cable then hoping to coordinate schedules with Stephan from Bimmercode (Germany) would be greatly appreciated..

Not trying to be the new guy abusing the vets, but @CaboM4, any thoughts by chance?

Last edited by CygnusX101; 07-20-2022 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0