BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Chromatix
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi Gran Coupe

Frozen DARK Grey VS Frozen DEEP Grey

I managed to screenshot these from BMW's website. I don't know if Deep vs Dark were just some kind of "typos"...but they definitely look different to me.

Which one do you prefer?

Top (M3) being Frozen Dark Grey Metallic (Z08)

Bottom (M4) being Frozen Deep Grey Metallic (ZZS)
Attached Images

Last edited by Chromatix; 11-25-2020 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
X5Buell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M sport

Is one a Matt finish?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
Chromatix
Canada
Rep

Both are. They are "Frozen" finishes.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

They appear to be different colours, and the different paint codes confirm that. The M3 appears to be a blue-based black and the M4 a brown-based black. I think the preference is going to come down to whether you want a bit of a blue shine in the sun or a bit of a brown/grey shine. Personally, I like the M4 colour better in the pictures, but I would need to see them both in the flesh to be sure. Seeing as I would never get an M4 but would love an M3, it is obviously the M4 colour that I would end up preferring... that's the way my luck goes!

Note: the matte finishes look amazing, but I would steer clear of them if you actually plan on driving the car. Maintaining and repairing it is... difficult. Someone on this forum got a "frozen" effect on their truck by wrapping it in matte PPF. For my money, that's the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Chromatix
Canada
Rep

Oh and just noticed those from the Individual Manufaktur Visualizer.

Same order:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Frozen paints are a pain to maintain since you can't rub or polish the paint or else is starts to take on a gloss on that spot.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:10 AM   #7
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Frozen paints are a pain to maintain since you can't rub or polish the paint or else is starts to take on a gloss on that spot.
That's a common misunderstanding in my opinion. Yes you don't polish it because it's a satin colour (it's not really matte). However, cleaning it is much easier compared to a metallic paint. You just need to buy the right products. I owned a frozen grey 4 series and I loved the colour and the maintenance. The only disadvantage of the frozen paint is the inability to do spot repair. It's basically all or
nothing (the whole part). So you better not scratch it really. That being said, if you're careful with your car it's not a big problem. It looks amazing so I think it's worth it.

My X5 g05 is now Tanzanite Blue II Individual and it's much harder to clean. It's a difficult colour to maintain properly and although it looks nice when the sun lights it up and creates some colour shift on it, I would have gone for a frozen paint job if it was available when I ordered - it was impossible at that time.

I would go for the dark frozen grey based on the images but it's best you try to find pictures of cars that have the colour - frozen dark grey has been around and was put on m4 gts I believe so you can look up pictures / videos to get a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #8
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
That's a common misunderstanding in my opinion. Yes you don't polish it because it's a satin colour (it's not really matte). However, cleaning it is much easier compared to a metallic paint. You just need to buy the right products. I owned a frozen grey 4 series and I loved the colour and the maintenance. The only disadvantage of the frozen paint is the inability to do spot repair. It's basically all or
nothing (the whole part). So you better not scratch it really. That being said, if you're careful with your car it's not a big problem. It looks amazing so I think it's worth it.

My X5 g05 is now Tanzanite Blue II Individual and it's much harder to clean. It's a difficult colour to maintain properly and although it looks nice when the sun lights it up and creates some colour shift on it, I would have gone for a frozen paint job if it was available when I ordered - it was impossible at that time.

I would go for the dark frozen grey based on the images but it's best you try to find pictures of cars that have the colour - frozen dark grey has been around and was put on m4 gts I believe so you can look up pictures / videos to get a better idea.
So you saying I can wash a frozen paint in any 5$ gas station car wash same as my metallic paints?

These frozen colors are definitely more maintenance as regular paints.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Quote:

So you saying I can wash a frozen paint in any 5$ gas station car wash same as my metallic paints?

I wouldn't even do that with a car with metallic paint. That being said, a friend of mine owned a frozen black 7 series and he always put it through the car wash and his paint still looked good. I always hand wash my cars. So from my POV lower maintenance on frozen paint. I thought car lovers hand wash their car my bad ...

Hand washing it is basically the same, you just use product that doesn't contain wax (opace matte shampoo), that's the only difference really and you don't have to polish anything ofcourse, while not worrying about stripes and drying up too fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:40 AM   #10
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't even do that with a car with metallic paint. That being said, a friend of mine owned a frozen black 7 series and he always put it through the car wash and his paint still looked good. I always hand wash my cars. So from my POV lower maintenance on frozen paint. I thought car lovers hand wash their car my bad ...

Hand washing it is basically the same, you just use product that doesn't contain wax (opace matte shampoo), that's the only difference really and you don't have to polish anything ofcourse, while not worrying about stripes and drying up too fast.
BMW will strongly advise against car wash for frozen paint but I guess that's because they don't want to get into law suites ... I could barely see any difference on my friends frozen paint - perhaps it was a tiny little bit more shiny after years and years but it still looked frozen really

I think even BMW locally themselves pull frozen paint job cars that they own themselves through their car wash
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:54 AM   #11
DBV
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G20 330d, Brabus Smart

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.75]
2018 Brabus Smart  [0.00]
2021 BMW 330d  [0.00]
Quote:

Yep. But if you're washing at a $5 gas station wash, you're not going to get great results on any paint, and may be doing more harm than good.

That said, I have a matte finish on my Smart ForTwo. I take it through the automated wash regularly and haven't noticed any difference to when it was new. As long as you're more careful of WHERE you get the car washed, it should be fine. But, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 04:56 AM   #12
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromatix View Post
I managed to screenshot these from BMW's website. I don't know if Deep vs Dark were just some kind of "typos"...but they definitely look different to me.

Which one do you prefer?

They are different colours, no typo there
We have just recieved the samples of these colours, the Deep Grey is darker or more black-ish, if you will, than Dark Grey IRL.

Also they are model specific colours. Which means Deep Grey only for G82 and Dark Grey for G80.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post
Yep. But if you're washing at a $5 gas station wash, you're not going to get great results on any paint, and may be doing more harm than good.

That said, I have a matte finish on my Smart ForTwo. I take it through the automated wash regularly and haven't noticed any difference to when it was new. As long as you're more careful of WHERE you get the car washed, it should be fine. But, to each their own.
Well...I own 7 cars... Can't wash them all by hand...

One reason why 4 of my cars are silver and still looks like new.

The issue with car wash are the products they use such as wax etc. on matte finish.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #14
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV View Post

Well...I own 7 cars... Can't wash them all by hand...

One reason why 4 of my cars are silver and still looks like new.

The issue with car wash are the products they use such as wax etc. on matte finish.
if you own seven cars you can most likely afford to hire someone that will wash your car with the right products

i've been experiencing some issues over the past weeks with my x5 45e, might opt to get rid of it and get a new order going to get a frozen paint job instead
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:37 PM   #15
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Difficult based on a drawing but I prefer the darker color on the M3. That said I would buy a two door and probably pick a different color M4.

Though I really like all frozen colors.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
or wrap it in matte ppf and be without the 'headaches' of frozen paint
Attached Images

Appreciate 1