BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Bumper parts

I was rear ended a month ago. It has been in the collision shop since then awaiting for an Msport bumper. Just got a call that it may take another month to get it from Germany as it has to be made to order.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

the BMW dealer they are ordering the parts from most likely doesn't have any of those in stock or in the regional parts warehouse so they have to order it from BMW. X5 parts however would come from US I would think and not Germany but I could be wrong I dont know.

shoot Brit who runs our parts dept PARTS@STBMW an email at brit@bmwpartspros.com and see if our warehouse in our region may have access to one and if not she can also tell you about lead times on parts im sure. she knows all about these types of topics and is a great source of knowledge with anything BMW OEM parts wise

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      10-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

A month has between 30 and 31 days this time of the year.
Appreciate 1
Noneya251.50
      10-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
the BMW dealer they are ordering the parts from most likely doesn't have any of those in stock or in the regional parts warehouse so they have to order it from BMW. X5 parts however would come from US I would think and not Germany but I could be wrong I dont know.

shoot Brit who runs our parts dept PARTS@STBMW an email at brit@bmwpartspros.com and see if our warehouse in our region may have access to one and if not she can also tell you about lead times on parts im sure. she knows all about these types of topics and is a great source of knowledge with anything BMW OEM parts wise
I just did thanks.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10716.50
      10-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bad news, it is truly back ordered and will probably take a month to get the parts. For those of you that have this situation happened to you, what are my options? Should I leave my X5 at the collision shop for a month or more?
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10716.50
      10-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

I know that you work for a BMW dealer and have been around bimmers for a long while so have a lot of experience, but your assumption is incorrect. At least to this point in time, this forum has clearly established the fact that G05 X5 replacement parts (at least those unique to G05) are not stocked in North America regardless that X5 is manufactured in SC. While there are obviously a tonne of X5 parts at the factory, BMW has either maliciously or incompetently chosen to have around zero X5 replacement parts inventory in North America. It's weird, but a fact, at least to this point in time. The impact is dissatisfied customers, increased costs for everyone involved including dealers, customers, and insurance as well as erosion of the brand — yet it persists.

If you have any influence with BMW or know anyone that actually does, this issue is now 1.5-2 years overdue for being solved.
      10-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I know that you work for a BMW dealer and have been around bimmers for a long while so have a lot of experience, but your assumption is incorrect. At least to this point in time, this forum has clearly established the fact that G05 X5 replacement parts (at least those unique to G05) are not stocked in North America regardless that X5 is manufactured in SC. While there are obviously a tonne of X5 parts at the factory, BMW has either maliciously or incompetently chosen to have around zero X5 replacement parts inventory in North America. It's weird, but a fact, at least to this point in time. The impact is dissatisfied customers, increased costs for everyone involved including dealers, customers, and insurance as well as erosion of the brand — yet it persists.

If you have any influence with BMW or know anyone that actually does, this issue is now 1.5-2 years overdue for being solved.
I dont follow the parts stuff TBH hence why I request Brit (who runs our part dept for us) to chime in but we do have a large warehouse where we get parts from as well as the port (oxnard and san berdino) right near us so its was worth a try who knows what is in there. As far as the issues of not having any parts in NA I didn't know, I was just stating she would be a good reference since she deals with parts all day long and also sells more parts all over US then most through our parts website bmwpartspros.com

as far as influence goes, I would think that any issues that are problem most likely are known and are made with some sort of economic reasoning as Im sure you will agree. ill have to see what sort of impact it has been to us next time I chat with Brit Anything i find out ill def report back for sure

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
as far as influence goes, I would think that any issues that are problem most likely are known and are made with some sort of economic reasoning as Im sure you will agree.
It's never as simple as straight logic like that with large organizations. Considering that all X5 manufacturing parts are already flowing into SC, it would have been pretty cost effective to structure some % excess inventory for replacement/repair parts stock, yet that's not the case. All large organizations have communication problems and siloed departmentalizations ("not my problem"), but BMW NA and BMW AG have to contend with built-in arrogance as well.
      10-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Be aware that I have an interior light module on order for 7 months now. BMW NA said they can do nothing about it. I opened a case with BBB and the attorney general recently.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50I

Hate to say this, but a month sounds about right. I backed my one month old M50i into my driveway gate back in December (Long story not worth getting into) and the bumper was backordered then, too. The shop in Bay Area was able to get another bumper which was the same thing, but had a different part number, a little faster. The original repair took about 3-4 weeks. (But then they botched the paint job and tried to say a huge sag in the paint wasn't there, then somehow scratched a roof rail, and then messed up a bunch of interior panels when the pulled the ceiling panel down to replace the rails, so the entire process took like 6 months and 4 trips in the shop because of backordered parts and Covid. This was an authorized BMW repair shop, too!!)

I also just had to have my master cylinder replaced under warranty, and that took 10 days total because it was also backordered.

If they gave you a loaner, like they did me, I'd say let them keep it. But if you need it, then go pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmak76 View Post
Hate to say this, but a month sounds about right. I backed my one month old M50i into my driveway gate back in December (Long story not worth getting into) and the bumper was backordered then, too. The shop in Bay Area was able to get another bumper which was the same thing, but had a different part number, a little faster. The original repair took about 3-4 weeks. (But then they botched the paint job and tried to say a huge sag in the paint wasn't there, then somehow scratched a roof rail, and then messed up a bunch of interior panels when the pulled the ceiling panel down to replace the rails, so the entire process took like 6 months and 4 trips in the shop because of backordered parts and Covid. This was an authorized BMW repair shop, too!!)

I also just had to have my master cylinder replaced under warranty, and that took 10 days total because it was also backordered.

If they gave you a loaner, like they did me, I'd say let them keep it. But if you need it, then go pick it up.
It's a Camry rental from insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Did the bumper parts come in? How long was the car in the shop total time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Y'all, my car was taken into the collision center mid-August and I have YET to get it back. First it was the exhaust, then the rear bumper and now bumper trim pieces. From what i'm told, the part numbers that are being pulled up from my VIN are arriving a month later and a handful of those part are not fitting or completely different parts. The tow hitch that was ordered from my VIN was not even a US spec hitch, from my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotno View Post
Y'all, my car was taken into the collision center mid-August and I have YET to get it back. First it was the exhaust, then the rear bumper and now bumper trim pieces. From what i'm told, the part numbers that are being pulled up from my VIN are arriving a month later and a handful of those part are not fitting or completely different parts. The tow hitch that was ordered from my VIN was not even a US spec hitch, from my understanding.
Interesting. So you're still in the rental car since the incident. I wonder what the situation will be to get the parts needed to repair my 2020.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #15
Leotno
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
Interesting. So you're still in the rental car since the incident. I wonder what the situation will be to get the parts needed to repair my 2020.
Im in a BMW dealership base X2 loaner.

Ive gone through two insurance company rentals but maxed out for everything. So BMW "graciously" let me use a X2. Which I was thankful for, but after three months. Its getting annoying as hell.

So far my rental count is
1 Dodge Journey
2 Nissan Rouges
1 Mercedes GLA
1 Range Rover Velar (paid extra out of pocket for this, otherwise would have been a Nissan Rouge)
Currently in a X2.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
NavyGimp
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotno View Post
Im in a BMW dealership base X2 loaner.

Ive gone through two insurance company rentals but maxed out for everything. So BMW "graciously" let me use a X2. Which I was thankful for, but after three months. Its getting annoying as hell.

So far my rental count is
1 Dodge Journey
2 Nissan Rouges
1 Mercedes GLA
1 Range Rover Velar (paid extra out of pocket for this, otherwise would have been a Nissan Rouge)
Currently in a X2.
Yikes, what a nightmare! I better check to see if I have rental insurance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #17
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:

+1 ... Nothing new with the G05/F95 platform. Hit a deer about a year and a half ago in my F85. Needed all sorts of parts, front bumper, fender, headlight, hood, grilles, intercooler, etc. Most of this stuff had to come from Germany despite being built in Spartanburg. Was at the body shop sitting waiting for parts for 6 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:42 AM   #18
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's never as simple as straight logic like that with large organizations. Considering that all X5 manufacturing parts are already flowing into SC, it would have been pretty cost effective to structure some % excess inventory for replacement/repair parts stock, yet that's not the case. All large organizations have communication problems and siloed departmentalizations ("not my problem"), but BMW NA and BMW AG have to contend with built-in arrogance as well.
I am thinking maybe BMW NA doesn't want to keep inventory on their book.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #19
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Definitely is not consumer friendly if you can't get parts for a $75,000 vehicle that is one or two years old.
Appreciate 0