BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2020, 06:55 AM   #23
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Rodrick I think you are correct. I found a bunch of articles saying that you don't need to use conditioner on modern leather seats but looking into the details a bit more that seems to apply to the lesser leathers and not Nappa and Merino. I found a couple of BMWBlog articles that specifically state that Merino should be conditioned.

I'm going to update my previous post.
I'm even more satisfied now with my choice of the standard "lesser leather" that can be maintained with a wet rag and not requiring a bunch of fancy schmancy cleaners and conditioners. Of course I'll have to try and get by with out the sumptuous, soft, silky smooth to the touch feel of the high level interior coverings.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #24
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrick View Post
Any thoughts on Swissvax? Worth the price for their stuff?
I've heard really good things about Swissvax. They've been out of stock for a while and they don't have an ETA yet on when it will become available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
Quote:
Any thoughts on Swissvax? Worth the price for their stuff?
I've heard really good things about Swissvax. They've been out of stock for a while and they don't have an ETA yet on when it will become available.

Can check obsessed garage. I have found that most everything he recommends is nothing less than outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #25
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 40i (M Sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puraj83 View Post
Can check obsessed garage. I have found that most everything he recommends is nothing less than outstanding.
I ordered the Swissvax leather care kit from them. Only applied it once so far. The instructional videos on that site are exceptional, I find.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #26
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puraj83 View Post
I ordered the Swissvax leather care kit from them. Only applied it once so far. The instructional videos on that site are exceptional, I find.
Yup for those of us obsessed, his process is close to flawless. His YouTube channel is addicting. Ha
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #27
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Here you go. Some earlier threads on the topic. For those that dont know my background: I am a PCA concourse judge as well as multiple show winner at Hershey, etc... I have been competing and teaching club detailing clinics for the last 25 years.
I am also sponsored by several detailing product companies with my vehicles used in their advertising. I have seen almost everything and know my way around paint, leather, alcantara, plastic, glass and rubber. I will not promote products on the forums but will share what I "like to use" for different applications.

There are many levels of detailing but most wont have the time or experience to go show level. You dont have to go crazy ocd to have the nicest looking vehicle in the parking lot. The detailing discussion has been brought up a time or two on the BMW forum so the search engine will be your friend.
example:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570670

In short, Merino is a very high premium leather. Merino is a notch higher than Nappa leather. You DO need to clean and occasionally treat the leather if you want it to look and feel its best. Even mid grade and lower level finished leather will respond well to a cleaning and conditioning though only about 10% of the conditioner applied will soak in. Let it sit for a few hours and take a dry microfiber cloth and wipe off the conditioner. You will get that satin finish even on the lower level of top coated leather. Merino will feel like butter and will glow. Never ever use a silicon product on any hide that once was breathing. We treat organic materials different. Only plastic simulated leather requires no treatment but will need cleaned with a different product than actual leather care. Lexol Vinylex is what you use for this and anything rubber. Forget that tire dressing if you want to win a show or not look like a detailing rookie. Use only Vinylex on your tires for that perfect satin protective shine that doesnt sling off or gets brown. This is a particular weak area the novice gets points deducted at concourse events. Too shiny of a tire is not desirable.
Vinylex is what you use for any textured plastic like Jeep bumpers, classic 911 black bumpers, Targa tops, etc... This stuff is fantastic and can be used under the hood on engine covers, hoses, etc.. Throw your Armorall in the trash.

To keep this simple, for new leather the BMW leather products are respectable and I have tested and recommend them for Merino as does BMW. I also really like Sonax leather cleaner and conditioner. Great product at a reasonable price point.
Lexol cleaner will get out most stains and dye transfers from any color and leather including ivory. If you have ivory leather, spot clean as soon as you see the stain.

I sometimes use ceramic on my wheels and other parts of the car for durability but will get a higher paint shine with a quality wax. I have developed a wax system depending on the type of paint and color. Both Ceramic and Wax have their advantages and disadvantages.

Without sounding like I am endorsing any one product, if you really want your paint to "pop" at its highest level with a product that is easy to apply and not fussy.......P21 wax and P21 paint cleaner. I wont say anymore. FYI....S100 is in the same family as P21 but marketed to the motorcycle industry but at a lower price point and can be found at any Harley Davidson dealer. Am I saying it might be the same product??? Lets just say S100 Detailing spray is in my show bag.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #28
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

^^^^^^+2 on S100 products. Their S100 Carnauba Wax sold at HD dealers and found on Amazon is a phenomenal wax and is only like $17. I am no expert or show car judge but have been taking meticulous care of my cars, motorcycles, and boats for decades. You learn what your favorites are quickly if you are willing to try various products at different price points.
Appreciate 0