BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #1
Virginflyer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05

Display Key . . . NOT !

So disconnected the key from charging usb this morning and nothing will display ! No matter which buttons I hold and press. If I reconnect it to usb charger it does light up to show its connected but get nothing otherwise. Anyone had this problem ? I can use the car and the vehicle recognises the key as it displays my profile. Only a year old so presume still under warrenty.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Are you sure the battery actually charged? The key has a separate battery for the display part vs. the key part, so it can function as a key with an empty screen battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:02 AM   #3
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My display key went into the key draw when I got the car and hasn't been taken out since. Totally pointless
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Try plugging it into a micro USB cable to ensure it is charging. The position in the charging tray can make a difference as to whether it actually charges. The display key must also be inserted in the tray in the middle with the display facing up and no other metal objects in there.

The manual says it will turn the display off once the battery discharges to a certain point, but will continue to function until the battery is fully discharged (obviously, without a display, it won't do all that much, but you can open the door and start the vehicle).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 05:42 AM   #5
Virginflyer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05

Thumbs up

Ok thanks for the responses, I have found the reason, and it was simpley that I had switched it off. Daft as it sounds the flap you pull out to charge the key has another soft button next to it, the on off. In my defence for the year I have had the car I have never switched it off intentionally as I didn't knew it was there ! must have done it somehow when recharging. Good to know I can come on here and get advice
Appreciate 1
Havy294.00