BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Insurance claim and rental coverage question

Hi everyone, so our X5 was involved in a hit and run recently and I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with the rental coverage specifically.

In regards to the accident, we were able to get a plate, but later found out the driver is uninsured. Additionally, I did not have uninsured property damage coverage (it's not required in our state but I now realize I should have been paying for this because it would guarantee that our premiums do not increase in this situation). Lesson learned.

So now I'm left filing a standard collision claim with Amica. The process has been fine so far, but a bit slow overall (which I'm guessing is normal). I opted for the higher rental coverage, but now that I'm filing a collision claim, should I rent the cheapest car possible? Meaning, will the cost of my rental go towards my claim and potentially increase my rates even more if I get a more expensive rental car?

I'm unsure if this accident will increase my rates since it was a hit and run, though I'm guessing they will. I know underwriting is a difficult thing to predict, but I haven't filed a single claim in > 15 years, though I recently switched to Amica about a year ago.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Your policy more than likely has a daily limit as well as overall limit for rental coverage. I think many use $30/$900 as the standard but you could have opted for something different.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

I opted for a higher limit which is why I made the original post.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth03 View Post
I opted for a higher limit which is why I made the original post.
Using under your limit probably would have no effect on future rates.

If uninsured property damage insurance was offered in your state, a claim to it would likely not be any different than a claim covered by collision in regards to future rates. Of course each state can set their own rules so that could be different.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Using under your daily limit means you will have longer rental coverage (as all rental coverage has a max it will pay out, usually the max is the rate you purchased x 30 days). It may help with all the parts delays that have been discussed. As far as it affecting your rates, that is something an underwriter (or underwriting program) will decide. Odds are that it won't, if it is your first claim in a long time. Your company should still pursue subrogation against the uninsured party, if they do you will eventually get your deductible back.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0