Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
My dealer has a Hunter Quick check system. They check alignments right in the service drive. I've not been charged the one time it was used on my previous car. And my alignment was fine, nothing needed.

OP, I'd ask dealer to show you the BMW service schedule recommending an alignment. Maybe air suspension equipped X cars? I'm not sure and wouldn't want to guess. But my hunch is they're over selling.
Asked SA when picked the car. The answer is that it's recommended by BMW.
If they can't show it to you on official BMW service schedule for your model, I'd say you should be wary of other recommendations from this stealership.
      09-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #24
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

I sure had given incorrect info as I was replying with my recollection of my dealer's email. I re-read it again, see below. Wheel alignment wasn't actually recommended but provided as additional info for replacing tires. See captured email below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #25
SnailBums
Banned
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
True but not at <5K miles or 10K miles or 20K miles or 30K miles, etc. There are no 2019 X5's wearing suspension out yet.
yes but 2019 shouldn't be due until 2021
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #26
SnailBums
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If they can't show it to you on official BMW service schedule for your model, I'd say you should be wary of other recommendations from this stealership.
It is a industry standard. Go to Firestone, Midas, Merlins, Goodyear, ect and they all recommend alignment every 2 years no matter what make or model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Recommended by whom? It’s not listed as part of the BMW recommended maintenance services on my F15 X5 and I don’t ever remember it being part of the schedule on any of my other BMWs. Is it now recommended by BMW on the G05?
Recommended by the auto industry. Every 2 years. I don't understand why that is such a big deal. If you don't like the price Firestone has lifetime alignments for $200 and then then are free after that.

Since I've started in this career back in high school every place i worked at always recommended alignment every 2 years. It's like the whole oil change debate. It's a recommendation, every 3 months or 3k miles, not mandatory. BMW says longer, people have their own opinions. Make your own decision.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #27
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
8ull$hit.

Alignments won't harm the car. It's like a colonoscopy. Frequent visits for one are preventative but frequently unnecessary unless you're of a certain age or are experiencing problems.

Every two years seems too frequent unless you drive on washboard roads frequently or see uneven tire wear.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #28
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailBums View Post
Quote:
It is a industry standard. Go to Firestone, Midas, Merlins, Goodyear, ect and they all recommend alignment every 2 years no matter what make or model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Recommended by whom? It’s not listed as part of the BMW recommended maintenance services on my F15 X5 and I don’t ever remember it being part of the schedule on any of my other BMWs. Is it now recommended by BMW on the G05?
Recommended by the auto industry. Every 2 years. I don't understand why that is such a big deal. If you don't like the price Firestone has lifetime alignments for $200 and then then are free after that.

Since I've started in this career back in high school every place i worked at always recommended alignment every 2 years. It's like the whole oil change debate. It's a recommendation, every 3 months or 3k miles, not mandatory. BMW says longer, people have their own opinions. Make your own decision.

Mike
OP car is 2019 G05. It's no older than 12 months at this point....

Alignment only needs to be done if cars is pulling, not tracking right or tires wearing improperly. Otherwise the tire industry can stick their 2 years......

Half the time tire shops will make your alignment worse than when you brought it in to them. Lack of training, lack of maintenance to their equipment, poor equipment, etc... Don't do things that aren't necessary. Unless you like causing problems for yourself.
      09-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #29
SnailBums
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
8ull$hit.

Alignments won't harm the car. It's like a colonoscopy. Frequent visits for one are preventative but frequently unnecessary unless you're of a certain age or are experiencing problems.

Every two years seems too frequent unless you drive on washboard roads frequently or see uneven tire wear.
Have you ever driven in Chicago?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #30
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

"Regular Service" may not have been the right positioning; however, that said, it's really not that big of a stretch as an optional consideration. Consider that 15K is also about the life of tires. That coupled with the concept that most people protect the $1,200 cost for replacement tires with an alignment checkup.

Alignment will shift over time...especially over miles. Subtle shifts will pre-wear the tires. So, I'm not in the camp of this being a "fleece" as much as it might have been good intentions wrapped around poor positioning.

Finally, I'll add that I just picked up a 2020 X5 and the front wheels look to have positive camber. Its translating into hyper response to my steering inputs - pretty sure that it wasn't aligned correctly from the factory. I woudn't want to burn through a new set of 22" Conti Tires without having that check. In this case, it would be a service issue though...
Appreciate 0