BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535gt

X5 buttons issue: B C buttons, camera button, etc

Hi all, I was wondering if this is a design issue or just my car(in which case I will need to bring it to the dealer which usually not leads to good experience).
Start with the B C button on the steeling column. Sometimes it stops working and I searched the forum to found out it is somewhat common, and restart can fix it. Fine.
Then I start to have more issues with "auto start/stop" button. It just can not be activated from time to time, especially when car just started. This issue wides to the camera buttons sometime. It feels you just can not push it down. Maybe there is a mechanism which prevents using these functions at certain time?(does not make sense to me but the buttons do feel "locked" at times).
I guess this could be a case where BMW just over-engineering things. There used to be physically isolated individual buttons for these same functions on my F07 as in the G05, which works flawlessly. Now I even having hard time to figure out if the buttons actually pressed or not.
BTW, my X5 only 3000miles, and I still have my E90 in the garage which I changed from brake-fluid to transmission fluid, and basic coding, so I am not car-stupid.

Any suggestions or feedbacks are appreciated here! Hoping I do not have to spend time at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Have you tried resetting iDrive yet to see if that solves all your issues? That seems to be the magic button for a lot of ppl.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have not. I will look into this.
But just now as I was driving, I was push the auto start-stop button so many times(because it was not working), I must have accidentally pressed the traction control button, and on a u-turn, I thought I heard the tires were squeaking. I noticed the traction control was off a moment later, but CAN NOT push the button to activate it! This can lead to real danger.
I think this BMW new button thing not just frustrating but can make some real risk in the driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535gtxenon View Post
Hi all, I was wondering if this is a design issue or just my car(in which case I will need to bring it to the dealer which usually not leads to good experience).
Start with the B C button on the steeling column. Sometimes it stops working and I searched the forum to found out it is somewhat common, and restart can fix it. Fine.
Then I start to have more issues with "auto start/stop" button. It just can not be activated from time to time, especially when car just started. This issue wides to the camera buttons sometime. It feels you just can not push it down. Maybe there is a mechanism which prevents using these functions at certain time?(does not make sense to me but the buttons do feel "locked" at times).
I guess this could be a case where BMW just over-engineering things. There used to be physically isolated individual buttons for these same functions on my F07 as in the G05, which works flawlessly. Now I even having hard time to figure out if the buttons actually pressed or not.
BTW, my X5 only 3000miles, and I still have my E90 in the garage which I changed from brake-fluid to transmission fluid, and basic coding, so I am not car-stupid.

Any suggestions or feedbacks are appreciated here! Hoping I do not have to spend time at the dealership.
The panel relies on haptic feedback to simulate a button pressing in and out. This way of simulating buttons has some drawbacks, and I know that sometimes it may not register a button press well, like if you are making contact with the panel at several spots at the same time.

You may just have a defective panel.

I'd suggest regularly testing the buttons when you are stopped to try and see if a deliberate "perfect" press of a button fails regularly or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
The panel relies on haptic feedback to simulate a button pressing in and out. This way of simulating buttons has some drawbacks, and I know that sometimes it may not register a button press well, like if you are making contact with the panel at several spots at the same time.

You may just have a defective panel.

I'd suggest regularly testing the buttons when you are stopped to try and see if a deliberate "perfect" press of a button fails regularly or not.
Thanks!
I thought about these buttons may response to touch(because I notice my G10's "quick registable buttons" response to touch which is over engineering in my opinion) instead of physical "button". But I also feel sometimes I can push it "down".
I will try the idrive restart and be more careful when press them.
Overall, such issue really should be happening. Give me individual mechanical buttons; they would work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Won't help with the problems with the other buttons, but are you driving in a mode other than comfort? Other than comfort, the mode affects how the start/stop function works (i.e, in Sport it's always off and in EcoPro it's always on).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Won't help with the problems with the other buttons, but are you driving in a mode other than comfort? Other than comfort, the mode affects how the start/stop function works (i.e, in Sport it's always off and in EcoPro it's always on).
Thanks for the input. I was driving in comfort and adaptive. At some point I might just as well Dremel the auto stop/start panel into 4 individual buttons.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I was driving in comfort and adaptive. At some point I might just as well Dremel the auto stop/start panel into 4 individual buttons.
Seems like we might all need to take a Dremel approach to this car at some point. Best of luck solving the problem. I hope it's nothing that requires them pulling apart the console.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I hope this was TIC
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Seems like we might all need to take a Dremel approach to this car at some point. Best of luck solving the problem. I hope it's nothing that requires them pulling apart the console.
Thanks!
I like the techs in this car in general. even it is just a couple of years newer than my G10, I see the auto-driving has a vast improvement, so does the voice command, very convenient for GPS addresses for example.
But when come to the buttons, I really want the engineers driving this car and let them suffer. Besides the panels, the cruise control and auto driving buttons lay out is so anti-common sense. I guess they just have to make some changes to previous year. The same cruise/auto driving buttons on G10 so convenient compared to this X5.
Since on this topic, I also dislike the auto wiper button canceled....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
The functionality of the BC button freezes about a couple of times a week and defaults to the Drive option. I'm having to reboot the iDrive while driving to regain the ability to pick and choose the functions on the display. It's annoying. The X5 is going in for a seat cover replacement next week and will ask them but I'm sure it's just needing the latest major software update to be release OTA...so they tell me. My software version is 03/2019.45.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just an update: so far the button on the left side to the gear changer works 1/3 of the time I drive the car. So basically majority of the time they do not work!
I tried to restart the i-drive, cleaning up the panel, good crispy touch on single button, none works. In the meanwhile, the buttons around i-drive always work. B C button works more often than these panel buttons. I think I have to visit the dealer sooner than I thought.
Anyone knows if there is a software update soon? Do not want to stop buy the dealer without being able to fix it. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:32 AM   #13
ttbb99
Rep
Drives: Corsa

Hi all.

Just wanted to pick up on this topic to see if anyone else has had this issue fixed?

The four button, start stop, camera, drive record and traction control are very tight. You have to press it incredible hard to get them to work.

I have tried an Idrive reset and that did not work.

Has anyone had this issue fixed?

I am scared to take this to a dealer with the damage they may cause to fix it.

Thoughts are most appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #14
POTIOS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

HI ALL,

I am facing the same problem with my X5 G05 the bottom are not pressing even by pushing hard, thank god that it's sill under warranty.

I am taking it to the dealership on Monday to fix it. I'll keep you posted man!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 03:14 AM   #15
EV77
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Same problem here. All four buttons can not be pushed anymore. I took it to the dealer and they are changing the whole panel which is not the best thing you want to hear. I have the car for just a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #16
smoky28
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV77 View Post
Same problem here. All four buttons can not be pushed anymore. I took it to the dealer and they are changing the whole panel which is not the best thing you want to hear. I have the car for just a year.
So, they changed the whole panel? I am having the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 07:46 AM   #17
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Same issue here. All 4 buttons cannot be pressed and i have to really jam on it to sometimes get the PDC button on. Traction control, camera, pdc, and auto stop start cannot be controlled.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it? Do i need to buy an entire new shift panel?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:29 PM   #18
SirPsychoMD
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '20 G05 X5, '17 X3

BUMP - any resolution?

I am also having the same issues on my 2020 G05 X5...was thinking I need to remove the panel and clean it?
Appreciate 0