BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
2020x5m50i
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 m50i

Bavsound Subwoofer install on g05 2020 x5 m50i

Hey everyone, this post is a picture tutorial of how to install Bavsound subwoofers in a 2020 g05.

I contacted Bavsound, and Justin was prompt to respond. While an exact product for the g05 doesnt exist, he said the 2020 3-series was close.

Quote:
Thanks for your interest. It may be a while before we get a sub woofer housing solution made for the G05.

Our sub woofers plug in and work perfectly in the G05 and we have sold a few to G05 owners that have followed the install instructions linked below and had great success.

Our dilemma is the G05 we installed in used a lot of adhesive and we couldn't get it out without breaking the housing. We don't want our customers to damage their new vehicle and blame us and ask for a replacement housing. The replacements are $500 from BMW and it may be a while before we get a cost effective sub woofer housing solution made.

However, if you are handy guy comfortable with the install process and really want to give it a try, you can purchase the 2020 3 series with the same audio system as your G05 to get the same sub woofer kit that works for the G05.

Thank you so much for considering Bavsound for your audio needs. We truly appreciate it, and we're committed to making sure you get great sound in your vehicle. Please let me know if you have ANY further questions or I can help with anything else.
I'd figure I would give it a try.

---

Tools Required:
Torx T20 Socket
Torx T50 Socket
Torque Wrench
Heat Gun
Flathead Screwdriver

---

I rate the difficulty to be beginner-to-intermediate level. The steps are fairly simple within the car, but working on the speaker enclosure with the heat gun can result in irreversible mistakes if you are not familiar with using these tools. I also recommend using a torque wrench to torque the seat bolts to proper spec (45ft-lb).

The first speaker took me about 2 hours and the second took less than 1 hour.

( I started posting this on bimmerpost directly, but its a pain to try and resize photos, so i just posted it all on imgur, please see the link below for the picture tutorial )

---

I'm happy with the improvement in sound. It is both louder in overall low-end volume as well as clearer/less muddy. I think it is a worth while upgrade if you are comfortable with the work involved. My car had the harman kardon system in it.

Any questions, please let me know !
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      08-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
2020x5m50i
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 m50i

When I finished this project, my car would not start. It kept showing an error about the vehicle key not found; hold it up to the steering console. This did not work, neither did my key card nor remote start via app. I also could not open/close windows, but all other electronics worked. Both of my wireless keyfobs did not function at all (no response from the car). I checked every fuse (all OK).

I get frustrated, close the car and go inside for an hour. Come back it all works fine. What happened?

I'm curious if I somehow tripped some fault/vehicle alarm and that prevented starting it; but this is just a guess

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020x5m50i View Post
When I finished this project, my car would not start. It kept showing an error about the vehicle key not found; hold it up to the steering console. This did not work, neither did my key card nor remote start via app. I also could not open/close windows, but all other electronics worked. Both of my wireless keyfobs did not function at all (no response from the car). I checked every fuse (all OK).

I get frustrated, close the car and go inside for an hour. Come back it all works fine. What happened?

I'm curious if I somehow tripped some fault/vehicle alarm and that prevented starting it; but this is just a guess

thanks,
Well thats scary/interesting. But glad it just figured itself out. LoL

Thank you for providing the pics and the write up. Its very helpful.

I'm confident I can follow your steps and get this installed.

But, my concern is it appears that you've completely destroyed your factory speaker. Is my understanding correct that it will not be able to be reinstalled if needed at trade in?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
wall_nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 x45e

Anyone attempt this on the base HiFi system?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:27 AM   #5
capitalst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

It's the same thing but easier. Less speakers to install. The Bavsound speakers are amazing btw. Well worth the upgrade. The subs are so clean and hit hard.
      07-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
wall_nut
Private
Rep

I guess I'm just concerned that without the HK amp to push them that it might not be worth the price and effort to upgrade that part. Haven't found anyone yet that has pulled the trigger with the base HiFi setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall_nut View Post
I guess I'm just concerned that without the HK amp to push them that it might not be worth the price and effort to upgrade that part. Haven't found anyone yet that has pulled the trigger with the base HiFi setup.
FYI.. .. I was going back and forth with Bavsound yesterday, they are developing a complete system including an amp to replace the standard HiFi audio system in the G05 but are not done yet. They would not give a date for release so its gonna be a while but at least they are working on it.
Yes you can order their speakers today but if you can live with what you have until they release the complete system, who knows, maybe they will find out they need to tweak the speakers as well once they are done with their testing and then offer a revised speaker.
Appreciate 2
taek292.50
leightos188.50
      07-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
wall_nut
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
FYI.. .. I was going back and forth with Bavsound yesterday, they are developing a complete system including an amp to replace the standard HiFi audio system in the G05 but are not done yet. They would not give a date for release so its gonna be a while but at least they are working on it.
Yes you can order their speakers today but if you can live with what you have until they release the complete system, who knows, maybe they will find out they need to tweak the speakers as well once they are done with their testing and then offer a revised speaker.
Interesting. That does seem concerning as I think I would probably go for the amp as well and who knows which impedence the amp would be rated for.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:38 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Interesting. That does seem concerning as I think I would probably go for the amp as well and who knows which impedence the amp would be rated for.
I've not heard what the Bavsound "speaker only" upgrade sounds like but I do know what the standard HiFi system sounds like and for me, its got a loooong way to go before I would like the sound. While the "speaker only" upgrade may indeed give improvement, and who knows, for some that might just be good enough but I know my taste and I'd rather wait for the entire Bavsound system to be finished and then buy the "matched" kit which would include the tweeters, mid, sub and amp.
Appreciate 0