Drives: 2020 X5 MSport, 2018 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparnel1 View Post
Factory hitch. Transmits a lot of noise into car interior and fit of the receiver and hitch drawbar was loose enough that every bump sounded like trailer was coming loose.

Hitch tightener is only about 20 bucks
Yes, the factory hitch seems/sounds like it’s integral to the frame, transmitting a lot of noise. That’s nice in one respect, it’s well attached !
I ordered the hitch tightener, so we’ll see how that plays.
Polychromatic....I also have noticed the noisy hitches. Had the optional BMW tow pack on my F15 and I ordered my G05 with to tow my enclosed MC trailer. The sloppy fit kind of comes with the territory....not all of my hitches (my past trucks included here) have been sloppy but not all have been a good fit either.

I am sure you've seen these cushioned hitches but they seem to help with noise abatement....

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...all/AMSC6.html
      03-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #68
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Execuhitch/Invisihitch went out of business December 2018, although they still have a website...strange. They were good new, but the flaw was using steel parts in the mechanism. Stealth hitch is basically the same design, but uses a stainless mechanism. this is a better idea with no corrosion in the mechanism. I still have the Execuhitch and regularly keep it lubricated and hit it with some Fluid Film during winter and long periods when I am not using it. I plan on getting a Stealth hitch when I order my X6MC since there is no factory tow option in North America. I will still maintain the stainless mechanism with lubrication and Fluid Film to keep it working well.
Thanks denaliman (or should I say X6Man !

Good to know! I would have contacted them around that time to figure out how to get this hitch removed.

I guess I could spray some wd 40 and see if it will come off, but lease is almost up this summer so I will probably just turn it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #69
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post
Polychromatic....I also have noticed the noisy hitches. Had the optional BMW tow pack on my F15 and I ordered my G05 with to tow my enclosed MC trailer. The sloppy fit kind of comes with the territory....not all of my hitches (my past trucks included here) have been sloppy but not all have been a good fit either.

I am sure you've seen these cushioned hitches but they seem to help with noise abatement....

Thanks, I never noticed the noise on my 4Runner, but then it is a ladder frame truck chassis and I’m starting to think it’s the uni-body construction (no body/frame isolation).

I’m waiting on the hitch tightener to see how that works. Cushioned hitch I’ve never seen before. Interesting, but it wouldn’t take up the slop. My bike rack is a 1up and it has a clever cinch system that takes out all the slop. Wished they made a ball hitch!

Last edited by polychromatic; 03-10-2020 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #70
cesimeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 MSport, 2018 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesimeone View Post

Thanks, I never noticed the noise on my 4Runner, but then it is a ladder frame truck chassis and I'm starting to think it's the uni-body construction (no body/frame isolation).

I'm waiting on the hitch tightener to see how that works. Cushioned hitch I've never seen before. Interesting, but it wouldn't take up the slop. My bike rack is a 1up and it has a clever cinch system that takes out all the slop. Wished they made a ball hitch!
Ah yea the cushion hitch won't take up the slop. I've just dealt with it.....annoying as hell though.
      03-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #71
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

The hitch tightener worked great at taking out the slop and quietening things down. Still notice more noise through the chassis than on my 4Runner, but I don’t think it’s that bad, and I don’t think there’s much one can do about it anyway.
BTW, this is what I bought.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #72
abcd4321
Rep
Drives: Uber

Silly question but does anyone know if the ball mount is included with this package?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #73
anotherguitarplayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Garage List
2021 BMW M550  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd4321 View Post
Silly question but does anyone know if the ball mount is included with this package?
No, it is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #74
abcd4321
Rep
Drives: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguitarplayer View Post
No, it is not.
Thanks.

Damn guess I gotta get some balls.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #75
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcd4321 View Post

Damn guess I gotta get some balls.
You already have two. No?
      10-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #76
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

This forum is frequented by members all over the world. Factory options do vary based on the country. In the USA and I think Canada, the factory hitches are a 2" square receiver. Fits a typical US bike rack directly. To tow a trailer, it requires an (optional) ball adapter that fits inside the square receiver. The US does not get the hidden, and motorized in the most case, gooseneck hitch used elsewhere. This is a more expensive option, and can hold a bike rack, but an entirely different system that fits over the gooseneck ball, and clamps it to obtain stability.

So, you need to be attentive about where you are, and the advice given, as the hitch might be an entirely different entity.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:41 AM   #77
Actualizer
Actualizer
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 488 Spyder, X6M on or

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
This is BS if true as BMW says nowhere that adding the hitch removes any option or functionality (except it removes prewiring as it is fully wired)

1 - Adding the factory tow hitch seems to disable the option to use your foot to open the trunk
I agree! There's more ! I was adding the BMW Performance Steering and the Performance Wheel to my G06 M50i....but was informed that I would loose my Lane Change and Driver Assistance Pro functioning if I went ahead. That is not mentioned anywhere either. Now why would BMW engineers design options which disable other options. Doesn't make sense !
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #78
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

WIth some exceptions, BMW does not prewire for options not originally installed in the vehicle...IOW, it's not one harness that may end up with lots of unused connectors on a 'base' optioned vehicle. That can make retrofitting some things quite expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:21 AM   #79
R3D3V1L
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I've just had the BMW OEM (WESTFALIA) removable hitch towbar system installed on my M-sport 30d, and its absolutely awesome. Its a clean installation; no cutouts on any horizontal / visible panels, and you cant even tell the car has a towbar when its not installed. The trailer connector swings upwards, so absolutely nothing visible.

Towing capacity is only around 6000lbs (2700Kgs); what I tow is no more than 1500-1600 Kgs (~3500Lbs) - so not an issue for me.

I know the retrofit (after factory) removable tow hitch is more expensive; cost me about $3k (Aussie dollars), but I'm willing to pay a little more to not have the cutout in the rear diffuser, or have the thing visible when I'm not towing - which is like 99% of the time.

I can post up some pics if anyone is interested....
Sending you a pm
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 03:54 AM   #80
jlec
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 MSport G05 2020

Quote:
This is BS if true as BMW says nowhere that adding the hitch removes any option or functionality (except it removes prewiring as it is fully wired)

1 - Adding the factory tow hitch seems to disable the option to use your foot to open the trunk
Hi Rob

I think it disables the driver assistance features including cruise control (which im not happy about!)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:34 AM   #81
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlec View Post
Quote:

Hi Rob

I think it disables the driver assistance features including cruise control (which im not happy about!)
It disables Driver Assistance, but not Cruise Control, which continues to function but with distance control only.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #82
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
BMW disables lane tracking assist, lane change assist, blind spot assist, and rear parking sensors if you have a trailer attached.

ACC still works in non-lane tracking mode, driver needs to steer. It appears to be designed purposely to prevent trailer related accidents.

Things hanging near the hitch ball could set off the rear tailgate opening sensor, perhaps this is why designers decided to remove it.
      02-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #83
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

YEs, the safety chains could swing in just the right motion to trigger the hatch from opening, depending on how long they were and what you were doing. I think the opening of the hatch is disabled when in drive, but haven't checked, but regardless, while loading and unloading, you could do some real damage if the hatch opened, depending on what was back there (bikes on a rack, maybe the propane bottle, the trailer jack, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #84
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I think the opening of the hatch is disabled when in drive.
Correct, opening from the drivers door switch or remote fob is disabled and you can only open via the button under the door lip.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #85
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I think the opening of the hatch is disabled when in drive.
Correct, opening from the drivers door switch or remote fob is disabled and you can only open via the button under the door lip.
When the trailer is attached to the hitch and the vehicle is stationary (but engine is on), is the door switch inside and the tailgate button on the remote fob still disabled?
      02-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #86
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
When the trailer is attached to the hitch and the vehicle is stationary (but engine is on), is the door switch inside and the tailgate button on the remote fob still disabled?
Yes. As long as the trailer is attached to the hitch, including the trailer lights plug - its disabled.

In fact, once I connect & plug the trailer to thecar, I don't need to select "Towing mode", the car automatically goes into that mode. While in that mode, remote opening/closing of the tailgate is disabled - which I agree with from a safety perspective, even though the tailgate has plenty of clearance from my trailer.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #87
RXT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 e70

Can someone confirm to me if the entire electric tow ball system can be installed at the dealer?
I asked for my X5 without a ball and now I regret it because I have realized that it would be very useful to have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:52 AM   #88
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Yes. As long as the trailer is attached to the hitch, including the trailer lights plug - its disabled.

In fact, once I connect & plug the trailer to thecar, I don't need to select "Towing mode", the car automatically goes into that mode. While in that mode, remote opening/closing of the tailgate is disabled - which I agree with from a safety perspective, even though the tailgate has plenty of clearance from my trailer.
Here's one thing I'm trying to figure out. Let's say I have a tow hitch-mounted bike rack with its own brake light bar. Attaching it would probably trigger the "Trailer mode" which is fine from the tailgate opening perspective but also disables Driver Assistant features which, as far as I can tell, doesn't make too much sense if it's a bike rack, not a trailer that's attached to the car. Can the Trailer mode be manually deactivated in the menu? Or the only way to work around this would be to get a bike rack without brake lights?
Appreciate 0