BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Lightbulb 2019 X5 Suspension option comparison

new 2019 x5 comes with several suspension options, which is really confusing to a newbie like me. local dealership is very helpful and provide explanation ( see below )

=========

Suspension and Handling: More agility, comfort and enhanced off-road capabilities.

The newly developed suspension, various control systems and a number of suspension options turn the new BMW X5 into an SAV that establishes a new benchmark for all-around ability in its class. Equipped with a double-wishbone front suspension, five-link rear suspension and Dynamic Damper Control as standard, the chassis of the X5 can be additionally configured to maximize its dynamic ability, comfort or off-road capability.

Standard Dynamic Damper Control

The basic X5 suspension set-up is designed to yield an ideal mix of outstanding driving dynamics, steering precision, agility and comfort. The SAV now comes as standard with the Dynamic Damper Control system, whose electronically controlled dampers sharpen the X5’s handling dynamics at the same time as increasing ride and suspension comfort.

Two-Axle Air Suspension

The optional self-levelling two-axle air suspension maximizes ride comfort. The suspension’s air supply is controlled individually for each wheel using an electrically driven compressor with pressure reservoir, enabling it to balance out an unevenly loaded vehicle. Since the air suspension works in tandem with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system, the vehicle load registered by its sensors can be factored into braking calculations. Above 86 mph and in Sport mode, the suspension is automatically lowered by about 0.8 inches; in off-road terrain, it can be raised by up to around 1.6 inches. For loading it can be lowered by around 1.6 inches at the touch of a button. Overall, this means that ride height can be varied by up to approximately 3.2 inches.

xOffroad Package (xLine only)

Another new feature for the BMW X5 is the Off-road package with off-road-specific xDrive adaptation and off-road experience control. The package’s specification includes rugged underbody protection at the front and rear of the vehicle, along with the two-axle air suspension and electronically controlled rear differential lock. The differential lock balances the rotational speed of the rear wheels when they encounter varying friction coefficients in off-road terrain. The xSand, xRock, xGravel and xSnow modes can be selected at the push of a button and automatically adjust the vehicle’s ground clearance, xDrive set-up, DSC, accelerator response and transmission set-up to match the current properties of the terrain or road surface.

Available Integral Active Steering

The Integral Active Steering, available for the first time for the BMW X5, makes the over 16 foot long SAV as maneuverable and easy to direct around hairpin bends as a compact car, in addition to significantly increasing stability at higher speeds, especially when executing a fast lane change. This feature turns the rear wheels in either opposing or the same direction when steering, which significantly improves both maneuverability at low speeds and agility at high speeds.

Adaptive M Suspension (included in M Sport Package)

Adaptive M Suspension (2VF) is now included with M Sport Package for all models. This suspension enhances the standard suspension by providing variable suspension and damping characteristics which can be adjusted through the driving experience control switch.

Dynamic Handling Package - Adaptive M Suspension Professional (X5 xDrive50i with M Sport Package only)

The X5 xDrive50i can become even more agile to drive with the Adaptive M Suspension Professional, which complements Integral Active Steering with anti-roll stabilization to reduce body roll in bends, enabling both more dynamic and more comfortable cornering. The roll stabilization system employs electric swivel motors to enable remarkably swift and precise compensation of body roll under dynamic cornering. This increases agility and directional stability when turning into corners and helps optimize traction when accelerating out. The system has the additional effect of increasing straight-line driving comfort by actively countering the vibrations triggered by bumps on one side of the road.

Comfort Handling Package - Two-Axle Air Suspension + Integral Active Steering (M Sport Package only)

Starting with December 2018 SOP, vehicles equipped with M Sport Package can now add the Comfort Handling Package. This package combines the features of the optional self-levelling two-axle air suspension and the Integral Active Steering for a more comfortable and agile ride. At speeds above 86 mph and in Sport mode, the suspension is automatically lowered by about 0.8 inches, allowing for increased aerodynamics and a more sporty look. Please note, this package cannot be combined with the Dynamic Handling Package, and removes the Adaptive M Suspension that comes standard in the M Sport Package.

========

air suspension seems a better choice, I hesitate when consider maintenance cost.
does anyone know if BMW air suspension reliable in general? and how long it can last?
Appreciate 6
TechCTU764.50
mcsa65.00
mocad39.00
Xtabi1698.50
      11-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

I have the rear air suspension in my 2014 X5, which I've owned for 4 1/2 years and 68k miles -- no issues. I realize that's just one data point, but at least it's a positive one. I'm looking forward to the 2-axle air suspension in my new X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
'better choice' depends on what you're wanting from the X5. If you prefer the smoothest ride an air suspension will be the choice. On the other hand for sportiness the DHP is a must because of the anti roll stabilization and active dampers.

Audi had both an air suspension + active dampers which gives a nice ride but no anti-roll bars meant it still had some roll in the corners.

Since the X5 is heavier with a higher CoG it still want to lean more. I prefer whatever trivial agility I can get in an SAV for when you want things to be more fun.

I drove an X5 on air and is rode smoothy, body roll was still noticable but much better than the other older F15. Based on this I assume the DHP will be great (none were available for me to test) therefore that's what I got.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1698.50
      11-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
I have the rear air suspension in my 2014 X5, which I've owned for 4 1/2 years and 68k miles -- no issues. I realize that's just one data point, but at least it's a positive one. I'm looking forward to the 2-axle air suspension in my new X5.
good to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
'better choice' depends on what you're wanting from the X5. If you prefer the smoothest ride an air suspension will be the choice. On the other hand for sportiness the DHP is a must because of the anti roll stabilization and active dampers.

Audi had both an air suspension + active dampers which gives a nice ride but no anti-roll bars meant it still had some roll in the corners.

Since the X5 is heavier with a higher CoG it still want to lean more. I prefer whatever trivial agility I can get in an SAV for when you want things to be more fun.

I drove an X5 on air and is rode smoothy, body roll was still noticable but much better than the other older F15. Based on this I assume the DHP will be great (none were available for me to test) therefore that's what I got.
I'm sure you will be happy. The DHP on my F15 really helps it to corner flatter, but unfortunately, there is no DHP available on the 40i. Hopefully my choices (2 axle air, IAS, MSport) will get me as close as possible. Probably would be even better without the 2 axle air, but I wanted the ability to raise and lower the vehicle. Every choice involves compromise . . . .
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure you will be happy. The DHP on my F15 really helps it to corner flatter, but unfortunately, there is no DHP available on the 40i. Hopefully my choices (2 axle air, IAS, MSport) will get me as close as possible. Probably would be even better without the 2 axle air, but I wanted the ability to raise and lower the vehicle. Every choice involves compromise . . . .
Exactly, choices, choices.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #7
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly, choices, choices.
I got the 40i with air suspension and yes it is comfortable but not amazing in corners!
I tried to lower it but as soon as I drive it, it goes back to the normal level, is there a way I can adjust the settings to have the suspension close to DHP feeling? Would a sport or sport plus mode do it? Is there anyway I can stay on comfort mode but my suspension is a bit tighter for cornering? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #8
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrera View Post
I got the 40i with air suspension and yes it is comfortable but not amazing in corners!
I tried to lower it but as soon as I drive it, it goes back to the normal level, is there a way I can adjust the settings to have the suspension close to DHP feeling? Would a sport or sport plus mode do it? Is there anyway I can stay on comfort mode but my suspension is a bit tighter for cornering? Any help will be greatly appreciated
Sport mode will tighten up the suspension and lower the vehicle one level. It will also tighten up the steering and have the shift points run higher into the rpms.

If you go into car > settings > Drive Mode there should be an options to setup “Sport Individual” and "Eco Individual". For each, you can set the suspension, steering, transmission to your liking. Then just press the Sport button repeatedly to cycle through “Sport”, “Sport Plus” and “Sport Individual”. Sport Individual will use your defined settings and will lower the vehicle height one setting.

I’ve got my Sport Individual setup with "Sport Suspension" and all other settings on "Comfort" - which let’s me use a tighter suspension when I want it but not at the expense of comfort mode elsewhere.

Extra benefit, Sport Individual disables A.S.S.

Last edited by lumpydog; 01-11-2019 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 1
Forrera24.50
      01-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
Forrera
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrera View Post
Sport mode will tighten up the suspension and lower the vehicle one level. It will also tighten up the steering and have the shift points run higher into the rpms.

If you go into car > settings > Drive Mode there should be an options to setup "Sport Individual" and "Eco Individual". For each, you can set the suspension, steering, transmission to your liking. Then just press the Sport button repeatedly to cycle through "Sport", "Sport Plus" and "Sport Individual". Sport Individual will use your defined settings and will lower the vehicle height one setting.

I've got my Sport Individual setup with "Sport Suspension" and all other settings on "Comfort" - which let's me use a tighter suspension when I want it but not at the expense of comfort mode elsewhere.

Thank you so much for the suggestion and advise, I will try it and hope it will feel better. I appreciate your help
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
Johnmcp73
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M50d

Any upgrade retrofit options for air set up?

Having a 7 seat x50d GO5 meant I had to have the AS and IAS options but I truly hate how soft it is and cornering is woeful at any sort of speed.

I’m hoping therefore someone will be able to upgrade and stiffen the sport + setting - if not i’m Going to have to swap out of mine and get the sq8 when it finally lands. Have asked Hamann and Schnitzer but still waiting on a response.

All ideas or suggestions welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post

If you go into car > settings > Drive Mode there should be an options to setup “Sport Individual” and "Eco Individual". For each, you can set the suspension, steering, transmission to your liking. Then just press the Sport button repeatedly to cycle through “Sport”, “Sport Plus” and “Sport Individual”. Sport Individual will use your defined settings and will lower the vehicle height one setting.

I’ve got my Sport Individual setup with "Sport Suspension" and all other settings on "Comfort" - which let’s me use a tighter suspension when I want it but not at the expense of comfort mode elsewhere.

I did the exact same setup. Comfort suspension is a little too soft for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
Jorgetav
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

When starting the car, does the drive mode remember your last setting or return to the default? Same question for auto stop/start.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgetav View Post
When starting the car, does the drive mode remember your last setting or return to the default? Same question for auto stop/start.
Drive mode defaults to Comfort upon restart. Suspension setting remembers last setting (at least it will remember if you were in Sport suspension setting, -20mm ride height). Auto stop/start defaults to 'on' (you can program to change this to remember last setting using, for example, Bimmercode).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
yans
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d MSport Phytonic Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Drive mode defaults to Comfort upon restart. Suspension setting remembers last setting (at least it will remember if you were in Sport suspension setting, -20mm ride height). Auto stop/start defaults to 'on' (you can program to change this to remember last setting using, for example, Bimmercode).
Hi there,
When you select sport mode does it automatically lower the car by 20mm or does it only lower it above a certain speed ??

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
twinturbomann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i, 2022 X6 X40i

I have a 50i MSport w/22’s and even in sport + mode the car leans wayyy too much around the turns. It’s a constant reminder that i missed the boat getting the DHP option on my 50i.

Please, if you like to have fun around the turns without putting people in the x5 in danger. Spend the extra $ and get the DHP... i regret it everytime a curvy road is approaching.

I typically get the wife looking over and saying this isn’t a sports car and i instantly think of that damn option i should have sprung for.... true story.
Appreciate 2
scotchy210.00
Xtabi1698.50
      09-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Hi there,
When you select sport mode does it automatically lower the car by 20mm or does it only lower it above a certain speed ??

Thank you
It immediately starts to lower by -20mm after you select Sport mode or toggle the air suspension switch.

SPORT level
1. Activation via SPORT button: 0 up to maximum speed
2. Automatic lowering without button actuation: 200 km/h (124 mph) up to maximum speed

DYNAMIC level
If you leave it at normal and cruise at 87-124, it will automatically lower to Dynamic height or -10mm.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
yans
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
It immediately starts to lower by -20mm after you select Sport mode or toggle the air suspension switch.

SPORT level
1. Activation via SPORT button: 0 up to maximum speed
2. Automatic lowering without button actuation: 200 km/h (124 mph) up to maximum speed

DYNAMIC level
If you leave it at normal and cruise at 87-124, it will automatically lower to Dynamic height or -10mm.
Perfect thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #18
yans
Private
Rep

Would there be anything to stop you driving around constantly with it lowered by 20mm ??
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I really like the air suspension on mine, but I WISH I had taken the Active Steering 4 wheel steering option as well, as it makes an incredible difference in handling on small roads and roudabouts, and for manoeuvring.

I had a BOAT of a 840 series at a loaner with that, and it felt I was driving a small hatchback at the way it was dealing with that sort of things, it was really borderline spooky.

As far as rising/lowering the car, I also like that a lot -- I do some pretty rough tracks with the car and I really like being able to raise it; while the tailgate button to lower the car to it's lowest setting is very handy to load/unload stuff...

I haven't really tried to drive the wheels of the car as yet, as it's still breaking in period, but so far it's a LOT nicer than the Discovery I tried with air suspension, which felt like a river barge in comparison.
      09-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #20
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Would there be anything to stop you driving around constantly with it lowered by 20mm ??
Not really, you'll just need to set it SPORT mode every time you get in the vehicle or code it (not sure other members could chime in)

But these are other factors where you're unable to adjust the 2-axle ride height - not necessarily relevant to your question.

11.4.2. Control inhibitors
The following vehicle conditions prevent a change in ride height:
• Brake test stand
• Transport mode
• Stored speed thresholds
• Increased lateral or longitudinal dynamics
• Flat tire
• Non-availability due to component protection (component temperatures or pneumatic
pressures exceeded)
• Low vehicle voltage in the residing condition (protection against starter operation if insufficient
energy is available)
• Doors open
• Electrical connector of trailer tow hitch inserted.

The control inhibitors prevent damage to the vehicle, among other things, due to incorrect operation.

At higher payloads with air suspension strut pressures of more than 9 bar, the high level is not available due to component protection.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #21
TAL2GK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, 2017 911

My current tow rig, a Grand Cherokee, has air suspension and it tows like a dream. Is the air suspension to blame? I barely Notice the 21’ boat behind me. I’m hoping for the same arrangement and since I’m custom ordering my bmw, I can choose whatever’s best. Advice for towing?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #22
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I saw a YouTube video of someone doing just that, not sure if that's from the factory or he coded it.

Appreciate 0