BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
jesperd
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

PHEV (45e) issues

Hi all,

New to the forum, but I thought I'd share some less good news about my 3 week old xDrive45e.

After a couple of weeks, I noticed a lot of condensation - I mean a lot - inside the left tail lamp. It wasn't like in the front where it goes away after a little while.

I noticed a little crack in the plastic, without any visible impact from any foreign object. Dealer replaced it without any questions. A week later, on my way to the dealer to have it replaced, second issue, which turned out a bit more serious: Drivetrain fault.

The dealer ran the diagnostic, and it turned out to be related to the high voltage battery. After discussing with engineers in Germany, they called me and told me that they were asked to take out the battery to check each individual cell and its connections.

Apparently, not a lot of mechanics are certified to work on the high voltage battery, so the dealer only had one mechanic who could do it. It is - according the the dealer - quite a lot of work to take out the battery pack, and check each individual cell. They don't stock the parts locally, it being a new model, so any parts will need to be shipped from the German warehouse.

So here I am, with a brand new xDrive45e that I have driven for 3 weeks (2,000 km) that now will sit at the dealer for the next 2 weeks. That sucks!

Obviously I am happy they take it serious, and the dealer has acted very professional. But I can't help think, what's next. 2 issues requiring going to the dealership in just 3 weeks. Not the best statistics.

I hope you guys have a better statistic that indicate that this is not a general quality issue. I need happy thoughts

I am visiting the dealer friday, where I will get a progress update (and also to replace the X2 loaner with a 5-series for the weekend).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Poodle64.50
      03-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

That is really annoying for you. I hope it gets solved.

To answer your question and happy thoughts:
I have mine for 3 months and I am really happy. Took it on a trip to the alps and it works really well in the snow. The combination with electric drive in the city and lower speeds and the power of needed with the ICE is great.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I’ve got 800 km on my 45e now. Only issue is the center console leds which don’t work. Another more common problem is that my iphone is getting way to hot on the wireless charger. I’m happy with the car. I still haven’t pumped gas since I have a lot of small trips which can be done fully electric.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I’ve got 800 km on my 45e now. Only issue is the center console leds which don’t work. Another more common problem is that my iphone is getting way to hot on the wireless charger. I’m happy with the car. I still haven’t pumped gas since I have a lot of small trips which can be done fully electric.
Yes true. I also have the hot iPhone issue. Now charging it with the usb c in the middle console.

I did a lot of my initial drives full electric during the first 2000 km. I waited until after a long road trip of 900 km on ICE before the first real full throttle. It was hard to resist.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:14 AM   #5
jesperd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yes true. I also have the hot iPhone issue. Now charging it with the usb c in the middle console.
My iPhone gets hot too, but nothing that makes it not work. And I haven't felt it got any hotter than any other wireless charger.

And thanks for the happy thoughts

Did any of you have problems with the Drive Recorder App not being installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:23 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Quote:
My iPhone gets hot too, but nothing that makes it not work. And I haven't felt it got any hotter than any other wireless charger.

And thanks for the happy thoughts

Did any of you have problems with the Drive Recorder App not being installed?
drive recorder works fine. From factory.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Sorry to hear about your trouble, jesperd. I have some 5000 km on my soon 3 months old 45e and I've been very happy, no major annoyances or trips to the dealer. The drivetrain is superb in all driving situations I have met and the air suspension is really comfortable on uneven roads. Good electric range combined with the excellent performance of the B58 gas engine is a great combination. I am hoping you will soon get back to the fun part of getting a new car!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:43 AM   #8
jesperd
Rep

Quote:
drive recorder works fine. From factory.
Thanks.

I just got a message from the Swedish distributor, that my car doesn't have the SA6DR equipment code., which is why I don't have it in the apps. When I configured the car, I was never given the option. Oh well, another talk with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:44 AM   #9
jesperd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble, jesperd. I have some 5000 km on my soon 3 months old 45e and I've been very happy, no major annoyances or trips to the dealer. The drivetrain is superb in all driving situations I have met and the air suspension is really comfortable on uneven roads. Good electric range combined with the excellent performance of the B58 gas engine is a great combination. I am hoping you will soon get back to the fun part of getting a new car!
Good to hear. This gives me comfort that it isn't a general quality issue with the mode. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
Bancroft
Private
Rep

I have about 3000 km on my 2 month old X5 45e. Driving mostly electric during the weekdays and gas over the weekends on longer trips. No serious issues. I've had 1 visit to my dealer so far because my sunroof and Sky Lounge stopped working. Next week I have another appointment with my dealer to further investigate and hopefully fix it. Good luck with your car jesperd!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
Sqz
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Had mine for two months.
No problems whatsoever.

Wishing you the best, sending happy thoughts your way
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #12
jesperd
Rep

Update after 6 weeks at the dealer

Had another meeting with the dealer Wednesday. They had just received the battery cell control module from Germany, which apparently had been 5 weeks back ordered (!). BMW sent out a mail a couple of weeks ago assuring that the COVID-19 situation have no impact on the parts supply chain.

So yesterday and today have been spent on putting the drive shaft and exhaust system back in place after refitting the battery. It sounds it is a major work to take out the battery pack.

So, I had the car for 4 weeks, the dealer have had it for 6. With a little luck I will get it next week.

Have a great weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #13
jesperd
Rep

Battery cell control unit replaced

Yup. Finally got it back, last Monday. No issues so far. They replaced a battery cell control unit - and some cables. Not sure which ones though.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #14
JORGEOS1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45E

This is happening to me too

Hi Jesperd, i have a 2020 x5 45e. 1 month ago i was driving and suddenly got the high voltage battery error and drive train error. I took it to the dealer ship and they told me they will have to swap 2 interna modules and some switches, was this the same thing that happened to you? Have the dealer resolve the issue? My car have 2000 km
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:55 AM   #15
jesperd
Rep

Yes, that seems to be the same issue. They replaced a battery control module, and it has been working great since then (April 20th). I drive and charge it pretty much every day. It is interesting that you had the problem after 2,000 km as well.

I had the tail lamp replaced twice (I am on the third now) under warranty. I have had no cracks in the plastic the last 4 months.

Sorry for the late reply. Have you had it fixed by now?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
SSergey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

Hi All,

New to this forum and new to PHEV as well. Really like the car and the way electric motor performs but it looks I have a problem.
Wanted to check if anybody has experienced problem with the capacity of the battery. The manual says it’s up to 50+ miles - the reality is quite different. When the car arrived- July 2020 it was 46 miles at max but now with a full charge it is only 36 miles. Car has just 2500 on the clock.
Thank you in advance for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #17
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSergey View Post
Hi All,

New to this forum and new to PHEV as well. Really like the car and the way electric motor performs but it looks I have a problem.
Wanted to check if anybody has experienced problem with the capacity of the battery. The manual says it’s up to 50+ miles - the reality is quite different. When the car arrived- July 2020 it was 46 miles at max but now with a full charge it is only 36 miles. Car has just 2500 on the clock.
It depends; are you driving it on the highway at 120km/h in electric mode? Then it’s expected that you won’t get near 50 miles on a full charge.
All comes down on what your driving conditions are like. Temperature also has an effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSergey View Post
Hi All,

Wanted to check if anybody has experienced problem with the capacity of the battery. The manual says it's up to 50+ miles - the reality is quite different. When the car arrived- July 2020 it was 46 miles at max but now with a full charge it is only 36 miles. Car has just 2500 on the clock.
It depends; are you driving it on the highway at 120km/h in electric mode? Then it's expected that you won't get near 50 miles on a full charge.
All comes down on what your driving conditions are like. Temperature also has an effect.
For my when driving 120 km/h on the highway the range is around 60 km (37,5 miles).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #19
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

THe test cycle is different in different countries, so what you might see in one, may not be true elsewhere, and, very few people actually drive their vehicle exactly like the test cycle, so their results will differ. BMW, and everyone else, advertise the scripted test results so you can compare, but few will actually get the same values because their speeds are different, their acceleration is not the same, the weather is different, and the elevation changes could be as well. How much stop and go can affect it considerably, as the vehicle is quite heavy and you'll never recover as much energy in regeneration as you expend in getting to speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
For my when driving 120 km/h on the highway the range is around 60 km (37,5 miles).
For me this only happens with no traffic so no acceleration/deceleration cylces. In heavier traffic I am happy to reach 50km on the highway...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
Quote:
For me this only happens with no traffic so no acceleration/deceleration cylces. In heavier traffic I am happy to reach 50km on the highway...
Absolutely, correct.

This was last wekend Saturday morning 125 km/ h on CC with very little speed variability.

I try to react earlier than the ACC would to decrease useless braking and speed changes.

ACC actually isn't so good for economy because it brakes quite abruptly and late where I would have released throttle earlier. And this more speed changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #22
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely, correct.

This was last wekend Saturday morning 125 km/ h on CC with very little speed variability.

I try to react earlier than the ACC would to decrease useless braking and speed changes.

ACC actually isn't so good for economy because it brakes quite abruptly and late where I would have released throttle earlier. And this more speed changes.
I am happy you say this, I have exactly the same feeling, I also want to release the throttle earlier, it would make the ride more relaxing.

Also, I tend to start accelerating earlier, the ACC waits till the car in front is completely on the other lane where I typically would start accelerating a bit earlier

Also happy you reach about the same conclusion on the range on highway, I am sometimes a bit dissapointed about the effective reach in full electric but it seems like it is normal and not a flaw in my particular car.
Appreciate 0