BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
skindoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Chipped clear coat

Anyone have recommendations on how to fix a small chip in the clear coat? It is about 2x2mm and does not go down to the body paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 09:18 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Let's see a pic.
Appreciate 1
I2P20.00
      09-18-2022, 07:52 AM   #3
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Let's see a pic.
It's hard to get a good photo because it's so small. But it does not seem to go through the clearcoat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

The clear coat is the very final layer of your paint. That looks like it did go through the clear coat. If your finger can catch it, it's likely too deep the polish it out but you can certainly make the marks below look better. Personally, I'd buy some OEM touch up paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
The clear coat is the very final layer of your paint. That looks like it did go through the clear coat. If your finger can catch it, it's likely too deep the polish it out but you can certainly make the marks below look better. Personally, I'd buy some OEM touch up paint.
Yeah I have the touch up but my concern is the texture once I fill it in. Btw the photos make it look white but it's only because of the lighting. From all other angles it is virtually invisible. Fingernail def catches so I agree
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoc View Post
Yeah I have the touch up but my concern is the texture once I fill it in. Btw the photos make it look white but it's only because of the lighting. From all other angles it is virtually invisible. Fingernail def catches so I agree
I always suggest using the least aggressive method first. That would be trying to polish the spots out as much as possible. Won't remove them, but might make them better to the point where you're OK leaving them as-is. Next step would be touching them up. If you're still not satisfied, then perhaps some wetstanding is in order.

If you're going to try touching it up, use a toothpick.
Appreciate 1
skindoc23.50
      09-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's available in the US but I can recommend Chipex, you get everything you need in the kit, including the polish to finish off with. The colour match for my Phytonic Blue X5 was spot on.
Appreciate 1
skindoc23.50
      11-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
I'm not sure if it's available in the US but I can recommend Chipex, you get everything you need in the kit, including the polish to finish off with. The colour match for my Phytonic Blue X5 was spot on.

I purchased Chipex and it works, but I feel like someone more experienced would do a better job. Do you know of any places in NYC to help? I do not want to respray the entire door just for a tiny chip that is practically unnoticeable. I could live with it if no other option to respraying.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:

I purchased Chipex and it works, but I feel like someone more experienced would do a better job. Do you know of any places in NYC to help? I do not want to respray the entire door just for a tiny chip that is practically unnoticeable. I could live with it if no other option to respraying.
Just curious if you tried a good polish after the fix. I've had excellent results applying touch up then using a very fine polish to finish.

I backed into a metal post once in a white x5 and swore the bumper needed to be painted afterwards. Some quality polish took 95% of the damage away within 2 minutes.
Appreciate 1
skindoc23.50
      11-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #10
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just curious if you tried a good polish after the fix. I've had excellent results applying touch up then using a very fine polish to finish.

I backed into a metal post once in a white x5 and swore the bumper needed to be painted afterwards. Some quality polish took 95% of the damage away within 2 minutes.
No I haven't. Do you have any recommendations for products?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #11
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkymcpeterson View Post
Quote:
Quote:

No I haven't. Do you have any recommendations for products?
Any fine swirl remover should be good enough if going by hand. There should be multiple options at any auto parts store.
Appreciate 0