05-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxed View Post
Yikes!! That would be a bummer..

I do sense a hint of uncertainty in your words though.
I think I would rather live in the denial and hope that you would be wrong..

PS:
Everyone who wants ID8.5, grab your lucky penny and start looking for a wishing well
Not uncertain at all, it is impossible for all 8.0 to be updated since the hardware can’t handle it from what we have seen. At least that is the thinking given BMW’s press releases. I didn’t watch the video so can’t say for sure what his thinking is.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 03:15 PM   #24
kapsjt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

I am considering canceling, or more likely, postponing my week 21 50e order. I drove an X5 from 2013 to 2017 and switched to Tesla in 2017 partially due to BMW's lack of any OTA software improvement capability.

After reading about the 50e I have been very excited for the LCI and looking forward to the vehicle since placing the order in mid March.

However, it is very frustrating that BMW would do an X5 LCI and ship the first three months of production with soon to be replaced head unit hardware and operating system/software. Especially if idrive 8.0 is essentially the "old" system when these LCI's start shipping. And what is with the ambiguity regarding the possible OTA update? Why not disclose what vehicles will get the OTA update?

I know Tesla and BMW are very different companies on many levels, but Tesla releases software updates on a continuous basis. Some are minor bug fixes and updates. Some are considerable updates with improved screen layouts, functions and options. Are the BMW OTA updates all just minor bug improvements and behind the scenes changes? If so I can't believe that BMW does not offer more advanced updates and improvements to it's vehicles. Seems like that should be the industry standard in 2023.

It's not that 8.5 is such a vast improvement over 8.0, but on an $85,000 car it would be nice to get the current generation of software and hardware, or at very least be able to update the software.

I really want to take delivery of this vehicle in a few weeks, but something is telling me I should temper my excitement and wait until later in the summer when 8.5 is shipping. Please reassure me that taking delivery in May will be ok!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 03:38 PM   #25
AloneAlien
Private
Rep
Drives: Buick Enclave, Volvo XC 40

I am having my 50e coming. I am absolutely sure it will get the update.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #26
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneAlien View Post
I am having my 50e coming. I am absolutely sure it will get the update.
And gap control buttons on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 2
volodp198.00
      05-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #27
AloneAlien
Private
Rep
Drives: Buick Enclave, Volvo XC 40

The gap controls are on the steering wheel (left side). Please check related videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:51 PM   #28
RetSurfer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneAlien View Post
The gap controls are on the steering wheel (left side). Please check related videos.
They are not on mine if you mean distance control...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:55 PM   #29
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapsjt View Post
However, it is very frustrating that BMW would do an X5 LCI and ship the first three months of production with soon to be replaced head unit hardware and operating system/software. ...
I know Tesla and BMW are very different companies on many levels, but Tesla releases software updates on a continuous basis.... Are the BMW OTA updates all just minor bug improvements and behind the scenes changes? If so I can't believe that BMW does not offer more advanced updates and improvements to it's vehicles. Seems like that should be the industry standard in 2023.
No, it is not the industry standard, and you should not expect BMW to follow Tesla.

For BMW, you buy the car which has every feature fully operational and functional. There is no promise of any new features down the road other than those orderable via ConnectedDrive store. Basically, what-you-see-is-what-you-get. OTA is mainly for improvements and bug fix. If you do get new features with a software update, that's a bonus.

For Tesla, they sell the car based on future updates promises. One example is the deletion of ultrasonic sensors, and they sell cars with non-functional parking assist, non-functional autopark, and non-functional summon. They will only work on a Tesla Vision updates, which unfortunately cannot match ultrasonic sensors in accuracy and function. Tesla can also remove features without your consent like disabling radar and transition to Tesla Vision. And they make software update promises which will never be fulfilled like your $$$$$ FSD add-on.

For the general public outside this forum, many actually don't like UI changes in the car. They don't like the need to re-learn things to operate the car. Majority of the buyers would go into a dealership, see what's in the inventory, test drive and buy the car without knowing what iDrive versions, and without any expectation of future upgrades. So for the majority of the buying public, a sudden change to an iDrive 8.5 UI would be likely generate a lot of phone calls flooding the support line.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 05:52 PM   #30
kapsjt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
No, it is not the industry standard, and you should not expect BMW to follow Tesla.

For BMW, you buy the car which has every feature fully operational and functional. There is no promise of any new features down the road other than those orderable via ConnectedDrive store. Basically, what-you-see-is-what-you-get. OTA is mainly for improvements and bug fix. If you do get new features with a software update, that's a bonus.

For Tesla, they sell the car based on future updates promises. One example is the deletion of ultrasonic sensors, and they sell cars with non-functional parking assist, non-functional autopark, and non-functional summon. They will only work on a Tesla Vision updates, which unfortunately cannot match ultrasonic sensors in accuracy and function. Tesla can also remove features without your consent like disabling radar and transition to Tesla Vision. And they make software update promises which will never be fulfilled like your $$$$$ FSD add-on.

For the general public outside this forum, many actually don't like UI changes in the car. They don't like the need to re-learn things to operate the car. Majority of the buyers would go into a dealership, see what's in the inventory, test drive and buy the car without knowing what iDrive versions, and without any expectation of future upgrades. So for the majority of the buying public, a sudden change to an iDrive 8.5 UI would be likely generate a lot of phone calls flooding the support line.

Yes, I understand all of that and I agree with you. I am not saying the way Tesla does it is ideal by any standard. However, the capability for some basic UI updates/refreshes from time to time would make sense. Or make it an option and charge for UI updates/improvements every year or so. Customers can decide if they want it or not. Especially if they are going to ship older software on a new LCI.

I guess my frustration boils down to why BMW would do a mid-cycle refresh and ship the first three months of orders with the older hardware and software. Why not wait 3 months to release the 2024? I am sure there are good reasons, but as a customer with a May delivery scheduled it is irritating.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 06:00 PM   #31
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
They are not on mine if you mean distance control...
Just ignore him, he knows they are not there but he just likes to try and cause controversy and confusion. Thankfully I put him on my Ignore List and only see his crap when someone quotes it.
      05-03-2023, 06:19 PM   #32
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2024 X1 28i

Everyone who reads the posts on this forum knows that it is very possible that the first three months of the LCI production will not be updated to 8.5.

So with that knowledge, those of us who choose to purchase an X5 LCI during this period should be willing to accept the consequences. It does no good to blame BMW. It is what it is.

As was suggested in a previous post, the vast majority of BMW customers don't know the difference between iDrives and probably could care less.

Last edited by RNorb; 05-03-2023 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 07:56 PM   #33
kapsjt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
Everyone who reads the posts on this forum knows that it is very possible that the first three months of the LCI production will not be updated to 8.5.

So with that knowledge, those of us who choose to purchase an X5 LCI during this period should be willing to accept the consequences. It does no good to blame BMW. It is what it is.

As was suggested in a previous post, the vast majority of BMW customers don't know the difference between iDrives and probably could care less.
Yes, I agree that everyone on this forum knows they may not get 8.5 if they ordered in the first three months. I was not aware of that when I placed my order but was informed soon after reading this forum.

My question/concern is why BMW would ship an older technology on a new LCI for three months. Why not wait on the 24's? I am just frustrated that we are getting a new LCI that will be delivered with older hardware and software. I know if I am not happy about that I can wait. Everything else about the LCI models looks amazing.

That is all.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 08:07 PM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
My question/concern is why BMW would ship an older technology on a new LCI for three months. Why not wait on the 24's? I am just frustrated that we are getting a new LCI that will be delivered with older hardware and software. I know if I am not happy about that I can wait. Everything else about the LCI models looks amazing.

That is all.
Because the LCI was scheduled for April for quite a few years and Highway Assist was one of the features that was going to be offered from the beginning. In order to do that they needed to upgrade the head unit (MGU4+ is being used) but the head unit they wanted to use (MGU5) was not available until later. These are 24's so waiting for the 25's, another year + really wasn't feasible.
volodp198.00
      05-04-2023, 01:18 AM   #35
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
And what is with the ambiguity regarding the possible OTA update? Why not disclose what vehicles will get the OTA update?
There is a BMW press release doing just that. It's just that certain people seem to interpret the word "certain" other than others. The discussion revolves around whether the word "certain" in "certain vehicles will get the update" is referring to the very list of vehicles that will get the update (while some OS 8.0 vehicles are missing on that list.) or if it means that only certain vehicles of that specific list will get it.

After BMW Germany officially confirmed that the G05 will get the update even if it was produced in April the discussion then moved on to whether BMW NA would also provide this update.

Personally I see this probability close to 100% but others on here feel different about it.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2023, 07:45 AM   #36
coolcat0304
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda civic

My source says yes, X5 LCI produced before August 2023 will receive an OTA update to 8.5.

I think the main concern for owners before August production is:

1) How do the hardware specifications differ between the head units?
2) Will pre-August 2023 owners miss out on certain features due to potential changes in hardware specifications? For example, the availability of 3D navigation.
3) How future proof is the older head unit? Again, this question is linked to the one above.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #37
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

so is it safe to order an X5 LCI for July mfg week and expect it to get iDrive 8.5 via update or that is not certain yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #38
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
so is it safe to order an X5 LCI for July mfg week and expect it to get iDrive 8.5 via update or that is not certain yet?
From everything we have seen, it would be safe to assume it would get 8.5 either in production or by OTA.
mattsrs625.50
CJ2018110.00
      06-04-2023, 07:44 AM   #39
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Any new developments on this issue in the last few weeks?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #40
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin58 View Post
Any new developments on this issue in the last few weeks?
it is now confirmed that all 24 LCIs will get 8.5 via OTA but when, TBD. If I were to guess, we are talking Fall or Winter
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #41
niehms
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: F15

This info hopefully ends the discussion on OS 8.0 vs. OS 8.5, the necessary hardware and the software implementation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Heavyd865.00
mattsrs625.50
realdah57.00
      06-04-2023, 08:34 AM   #42
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by niehms View Post
This info hopefully ends the discussion on OS 8.0 vs. OS 8.5, the necessary hardware and the software implementation.
Thank you for sharing, but I have no idea how to interpret this chart. Can you please tell me what I’m looking at. Or even better, let me know what it means for an LCI X6. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #43
niehms
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: F15

Of course I‘ll translate the info, sorry for my thoughtlessness:

a) the first column refers to the model
b) the second column states the used OS (7), the head unit used (MGU 18) and (in case of the x5, x6, x7) until which date the mentioned OS + head unit have been used
c) the third column refers to b) for the other models (OS 8, MGU 21
d) the fourth column states the starting month for models equipped with the new head units, that are needed for an upgrade to OS 8.5
e) the fifth column states the month from which the models will be delivered with MGU 22 + OS 8.5
f) the sixth column states the month from which the OTA update will be performed for models already equipped with MGU 22 (see column 4)

To sum it up: models equipped with either MGU 18 or MGU 21 are NOT upgradable to OS 8.5, models equipped with MGU 22 are upgradable, either by OTA beginning in 7/2023 or at the factory depending on the production month (column 5)

Hope this clarifies things even more.

Cheers
Appreciate 5
mojoJJ263.50
volodp198.00
      07-16-2023, 08:46 PM   #44
platini
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xdrive40i (A8)

Einfuhrungstermine = Introduction dates
bis = until