BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Locked In

Hey try this leave someone in the car walk away with the key and let it lock. See if they can get out.

Where is the unlock button for inside*
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
...Where is the unlock button for inside*
Ummm behind the door release handle...

Name:  2020-02-22 15.06.32.jpeg
Views: 3940
Size:  205.1 KB

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
...Where is the unlock button for inside*
Ummm behind the door release handle...

Attachment 2324745
Yep. That is an obvious answer. But does not unlock the doors. There must be a setting in the system.

Try and let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. That is an obvious answer. But does not unlock the doors. There must be a setting in the system.

Try and let me know.
There's a owner's manual - online or provided, suggest you read it.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Try and let me know.
Lol true.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol true.
Name:  Screenshot 2020-05-29 20.58.15.png
Views: 2509
Size:  216.4 KB

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Hey try this leave someone in the car walk away with the key and let it lock. See if they can get out.

Do this and wait a little longer and the alarm goes off. Your wife sitting in the car while your paying for gas will be really happy with you.

She will probably make you remember not to this a second time.

Edit. Just reviewed the app: the car recognizes a person in the passenger seat. If the seat belt is attached it won't activate the alarm and it won't lock the flap to the fuel inlet in automatic lock. Good thinking BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Try and let me know.
The BMW Drivers guide app even works even better. Put it on your phone. Enter your VIN and it only show your specific options. Search function works really well.
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      05-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Do this and wait a little longer and the alarm goes off. Your wife sitting in the car while your paying for gas will be really happy with you.

Edit. Just reviewed the app: the car recognizes a person in the passenger seat. If the seat belt is attached it won't activate the alarm and it won't lock the flap to the fuel inlet in automatic lock. Good thinking BMW.
Is that only for the front passenger seat? Because if you have passengers in the back seat and you lock the vehicle with the remote (or exterior comfort access)...this will probably arm the alarm system...thus after approx 30 seconds...if anything moves inside the car...the alarm goes off. And if they don’t know the procedure for unlocking the doors (varies by market)...they will be stuck in the car until you come back with the remote to unlock the vehicle.

Prior to the 2000 model year...if you locked anyone inside a BMW...there was no out at all. The interior door handles would be in “double-lock” mode...won’t open from the outside or inside...which made car thieves that break the glass to get in...would have to crawl through the broken glass because the doors aren’t going to open no matter what.

Then BMW changed things in 2000 and made an out by designing an “out” (but most people including owners never read it in the owners manual)...but if you would press the central lock/unlock button...you could then do TWO pulls on the interior handles and the door would unlock and then be opened.

As more technology evolved and CAS & CA (car access system & comfort access) came along...some markets got “outs” some may not have...as mentioned already...READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

You can see in the BMW info below the procedure for getting out of the car when it is double locked...see FROM 2000 MY:

The info below discusses the central locking system’s “states” aka single-lock or double-lock. But this was BEFORE the new gen BMW’s CAS/CA systems when the lock/unlock command came from the GM (general module). But although the control module may have changed since then...the single-lock & double-lock feature is still part of the vehicles central locking design:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-30-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:

Edit. Just reviewed the app:[COLOR="DarkRed"] the car recognizes a person in the passenger seat. If the seat belt is attached it won't activate the alarm [/COLOR]and it won't lock the flap to the fuel inlet in automatic lock. Good thinking BMW.
Is that only for the front passenger seat? Because if you have passengers in the back seat and you lock the vehicle with the remote (or exterior comfort access)...this will probably arm the alarm system...thus after approx 30 seconds...if anything moves inside the car...the alarm goes off. And if they don't know the procedure for unlocking the doors (varies by market)...they will be stuck in the car until you come back with the remote to unlock the vehicle.

Prior to the 2000 model year...if you locked anyone inside a BMW...there was no out at all. The interior door handles would be in "double-lock" mode...won't open from the outside or inside...which made car thieves that break the glass to get in...would have to crawl through the broken glass because the doors aren't going to open no matter what.

Then BMW changed things in 2000 and made an out by designing an "out" (but most people including owners never read it in the owners manual)...but if you would press the central lock/unlock button...you could then do TWO pulls on the interior handles and the door would unlock and then be opened.

As more technology evolved and CAS & CA (car access system & comfort access) came along...some markets got "outs" some may not have...as mentioned already...READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

You can see in the BMW info below the procedure for getting out of the car when it is double locked...see FROM 2000 MY:

The info below discusses the central locking system's "states" aka single-lock or double-lock. But this was BEFORE the new gen BMW's CAS/CA systems when the lock/unlock command came from the GM (general module). But although the control module may have changed since then...the single-lock & double-lock feature is still part of the vehicles central locking design:

It says in "the" passenger seat in the manual. Not a. So I presume it is just the front passenger seat. Maybe I should give it a try.

I couldn't find the unlocking technique you describe did you get this for the G05?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It says in "the" passenger seat in the manual. Not a. So I presume it is just the front passenger seat. Maybe I should give it a try.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e
I couldn't find the unlocking technique you describe did you get this for the G05?
No...that was just historical info about the central locking system that shows the “no-way out” double locking prior to 2000 model year...to the “a-way-out” after that. As well as the definition of single & double lock for those that may be unfamiliar with the terminology.

These new gen BMWs may not work the same way...they have so many electrical nannies (like the front passenger occupation sensor detecting passengers for locking as well as air bag deployment).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #12
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Follow up

Quote:

Dropped X5 at dealer this morning for steering column fix. I told the guy to sit in the car and get out after i walk away with the key and it locks. After trying a number of things was frantically waving at me "cannot get out"

I believe the US models may have an alarm of some sort.

This could have serious consequences as i left my parter rest in the car the other day as i went to do something both thinking she could get out. I returned 30min later and she, lucky it is winter and not 45 Deg C

The dealer wrote down to investigate.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This could have serious consequences as i left my parter rest in the car the other day as i went to do something both thinking she could get out. I returned 30min later and she, lucky it is winter and not 45 Deg C

As intimated in my post above...BMW has had a double-lock feature for decades where the interior door handles are disabled when the vehicle is locked from the exterior (either the driver's exterior door lock cylinder or by using the remote).

Is there anything in the G05 owners manual that give this type of warning? I ask because my f06 BMW owners manual does give a warning just like my other manuals in regards to locking passengers inside the vehicle. The "special knowledge" required to unlock the doors when they've been double-locked may be what's written in the BMW tech info above about the central locking system. Back in 2000 when they designed an "out"...you were to press on the central locking button, then pull twice on the door handle. Since the g05 doesn't have the single central lock/unlock button...but know has lock/unlock buttons on each door...try those instead...then pull twice on the door handle to see if that will let locked in passengers escape.

See some example below of the warning not to lock passengers inside the car...1st pic is from my f06 BMW owners manual...2nd pic is taken from a G05 X5 owners manual I just googled today...and it has the same warning as BMWs from the past about not locking passengers in the car from outside the vehicle:
Attached Images

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-11-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      06-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

^^^ Yes, same warning exists in the G05 manual.
      06-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

So the same scenario continues...if you’re going to leave passengers in the car...have them LOCK the car from inside if they are going to remain with the vehicle. This will then not make them a prisoner inside the cabin...where the IMS (interior motion sensor) won’t go off after approx 30 seconds when they make a move...and the passengers (or your pet) is stuck inside with the alarm blaring and lights flashing.

Appreciate 1
timmahh480.00
      06-12-2020, 01:19 AM   #16
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:

So the same scenario continues...if you're going to leave passengers in the car...have them LOCK the car from inside if they are going to remain with the vehicle. This will then not make them a prisoner inside the cabin...where the IMS (interior motion sensor) won't go off after approx 30 seconds when they make a move...and the passengers (or your pet) is stuck inside with the alarm blaring and lights flashing.
When my partner was in the car there was no alarm or anything after 30min
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 01:27 AM   #17
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As intimated in my post above...BMW has had a double-lock feature for decades where the interior door handles are disabled when the vehicle is locked from the exterior (either the driver's exterior door lock cylinder or by using the remote).

Is there anything in the G05 owners manual that give this type of warning? I ask because my f06 BMW owners manual does give a warning just like my other manuals in regards to locking passengers inside the vehicle. The "special knowledge" required to unlock the doors when they've been double-locked may be what's written in the BMW tech info above about the central locking system. Back in 2000 when they designed an "out"...you were to press on the central locking button, then pull twice on the door handle. Since the g05 doesn't have the single central lock/unlock button...but know has lock/unlock buttons on each door...try those instead...then pull twice on the door handle to see if that will let locked in passengers escape.

See some example below of the warning not to lock passengers inside the car...1st pic is from my f06 BMW owners manual...2nd pic is taken from a G05 X5 owners manual I just googled today...and it has the same warning as BMWs from the past about not locking passengers in the car from outside the vehicle:
Yeah i checked with dealer to change it. Their response was it was potentially incorporated to stop theft if windows are partially open a they get access to door handle in dome way.

My issue i do 18 hour drives only stopping for diesel and eat and breaks. My senario is my partner is sleeping and want to stay sleeping either when we arrive at the farm or in a town along the way while i do other thing and she gets out when she wants and stays with the car.

This is the only car i have had that she will now be locked in. I just need to make sure the spare key is always in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So the same scenario continues...if you're going to leave passengers in the car...have them LOCK the car from inside if they are going to remain with the vehicle. This will then not make them a prisoner inside the cabin...where the IMS (interior motion sensor) won't go off after approx 30 seconds when they make a move...and the passengers (or your pet) is stuck inside with the alarm blaring and lights flashing.
When my partner was in the car there was no alarm or anything after 30min
The car recognizes a person in the passenger seat. If the seat belt is attached it won't activate the alarm and it won't lock the flap to the fuel inlet in automatic lock. Good thinking BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car recognizes a person in the passenger seat. If the seat belt is attached it won't activate the alarm and it won't lock the flap to the fuel inlet in automatic lock. Good thinking BMW.
That's a great improvement in how the technology works (IMS is cancelled if passenger is detected in the front seat)...but can they unlock the door or are they still a prisoner stuck inside until you come back with the key?

If the interior handles are still disabled (double-locked)...perhaps pressing the lock/unlock button on the door (1st) then pulling on the interior door handles will release from double-lock.

Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      06-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #20
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a great improvement in how the technology works (IMS is cancelled if passenger is detected in the front seat)...but can they unlock the door or are they still a prisoner stuck inside until you come back with the key?

If the interior handles are still disabled (double-locked)...perhaps pressing the lock/unlock button on the door (1st) then pulling on the interior door handles will release from double-lock.
Yeah i tried it. Didn't work. The manual says can open with special knowledge. What i want to know what it is. Why not say?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 06:17 AM   #21
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Careful if you have Comfort Access, as the car will lock /anyway/ when you walk away, even if thre's someone in the passenger seat.

This occured to be a couple days ago; I walked away from the car with my wife inside, it locked itself (and folded the mirror) and she was locked in *even tho she has her one key for the car!) and she had to use her own key to unlock and walk out.

I think the comfort access is a bloody nuisance; they actually never thoguth thru what to do if 2 people have a key each, it's so irritating to walk to the driver door, open, she see the seat moves itself back to /her/ position just because she arrived at the passenger door 10ms quicker than I did. You then have to tell her to walk away, re-lock the car, re-unlock the car and watch the seat move back. So much for "comfort"!
      06-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #22
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I turned off the auto lock when walking away as it was such a nuisance locking and unlocking when working around the vehicle. Now I just tap the outside door handle when exiting the car.
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00