BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #1387
rugbyguytx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Oof! Now in rich people territory. Way to go GM!
Exactly! They took it out of reach for a lot of us that may have been comfortable at the 60-80 range.
Appreciate 2
See5449.00
      03-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #1388
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Before you call someone a liar you better make damn sure you’re correct and you're not, the C8 did indeed best the brand new 992 at the Ring and that’s fact. The numbers are right here, enjoy your crow dinner.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...eife_lap_times

Breaking the 7 minute mark in a 992 basically base model, that just insane talk.
I was looking at the Turbo S times, since you specifically listed Turbo in the name, and that's how Porsche trim levels work (with Turbo and Turbo S being at the top). Another user pointed out that you were referring to a base model 911, since they are all turbocharged nowadays. I've never heard of anyone referring to a base Carrera as turbo before, but I digress. The 7 minute barrier I mentioned is rumored to be broken by the new 992 Turbo S...

I stand by my previous point, lap times mean jack shit to 99.99% of people. Pro drivers have more driving talent in their fingernails than most people have in their entire bodies. Not to mention the fact that it is literally impossible to have all the track / tire / weather / whatever other variables the same for 2 cars, unless they are out on the track at the exact same time on the same day. I've seen C7's get smoked on a track day by Miata's, and those same Miata's have been smoked by a FWD Civic... All of the tuning manufacturers do on the track definitely doesn't translate to it being a better street car.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #1389
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyguytx View Post
Exactly! They took it out of reach for a lot of us that may have been comfortable at the 60-80 range.
The quote on my C8 is 78k....within the range you listed. It's definitely price competitive with a M2CS since it starts over $80k. Plus, you can truly get a fairly well equipped base model for $60k that will make an M2C cry. you want a back seat? Plus, wait a couple years and you will be able to get a C8 discounted. However, GM traditionally raises the price in the second year, so it may all be a wash.
Appreciate 3
      03-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #1390
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I was looking at the Turbo S times, since you specifically listed Turbo in the name, and that's how Porsche trim levels work (with Turbo and Turbo S being at the top). Another user pointed out that you were referring to a base model 911, since they are all turbocharged nowadays. I've never heard of anyone referring to a base Carrera as turbo before, but I digress. The 7 minute barrier I mentioned is rumored to be broken by the new 992 Turbo S...

I stand by my previous point, lap times mean jack shit to 99.99% of people. Pro drivers have more driving talent in their fingernails than most people have in their entire bodies. Not to mention the fact that it is literally impossible to have all the track / tire / weather / whatever other variables the same for 2 cars, unless they are out on the track at the exact same time on the same day. I've seen C7's get smoked on a track day by Miata's, and those same Miata's have been smoked by a FWD Civic... All of the tuning manufacturers do on the track definitely doesn't translate to it being a better street car.
Sums it up. Most of us will only drive our cars on the street. I took the Hellcat to the drag strip once just to see what it did & make sure the car was not a dud.

I would love to hit some road courses w/the Miata, but that requires $ & time + I have no one to go with so whatever, street it is for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #1391
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

If we're talking behavior on the street, everything I've read puts the C8 as one of the best riding/lowest NVH sportscars outside of the active suspension McLarens.

Now you can make a case against it for everyday practicality I guess(no back seat), but not many, if any sportscars are touching it at its price even in that category.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #1392
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
The bolded section is a lie. The C8 ran a 7:28. The 991.2 (the OLD Turbo S), ran a a 7:17, the new 992 is expected to break the 7 minute mark. The C8 is not even on the same level as the Pcar, NEVER will be. I've been in many Vettes (C5 and up), while the quality is slowly improving, it's still a mass produced American car.

American cars in general are always "best bang for your buck." But look at what the least reliable vehicles are, in the US, for 2019. Pretty much across the board, the number 1 and number 2 LEAST reliable are GM vehicles. I'm not saying that a SS 1LE Camaro won't smoke my M2C on track, or even a C5Z, but I couldn't care less about lap times (only reason I listed them above is because that statement was 100% false). If you're after the fastest "new" car for the least amount of money, by all means spend your dollars where you want and if that's the C8, HAVE FUN, after all that's why we buy these things.

Given my stance, which should be pretty obvious in my posts, on American cars, I'll be a liar if I said I didn't cross shop a 2020 2SS 1LE and a GT350 with the M2C, but ultimately you can see what I went with. I'm not trying to say that that they're shit cars, they just aren't for me.
The 992 was pretty recently released as was the new C8. I’m not comparing a a current Corvette to the last model top tier model 991. In fact I stated that it already beats the new 992 not that it will beat yet unreleased models of 992, I wasn’t speculating on what might be nor would be. I was just making a point the new base Corvette beat the new base 992, comparing apples v apples as it always should be. I used the word turbo to demonstrate that the C8 base NA car was able to beat the new edition of 911 which is turbo powered and the Corvette is quite a bunch less expensive. I do see and understand the confusion it posed.
When we get to the ZO6 and maybe ZR1 then we can compare the upper levels of the Porsche’s and see how they shake out.

I compare lap times because that’s what sports cars do, kind of their #1 job. Some say they don’t care about track times but often it’s only when data doesn’t coincide with their opinion or cars they favor. When their fav wins out they love to talk about them but if not, track times are irrelevant. Not talking about you because I don’t know what you’ve been saying. I’m not one of those guys that dismissed performance numbers in high performance sports cars and rather talk about colors i think are ugly, chrome vs powder coat wheels, how much trunk space or back seats, how it fits in at the country club.....
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #1393
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I'm expecting the Z06 to be around 140-150 and the ZR1 to be 180+.
Yeah, your pricing is way too high. Wrong just like everyone that said the mid-engine Vette would be $100k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
They'd sell six. The Z06 will remain safely under $100k (base) and the ZR1 will likely be around $125k.

I can't think of any car that seen a 50% increase in price. Especially when we already know that the base model barely increased in price.
Z06 will remain well under $100k msrp. It will get a similar price bump to the base car.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #1394
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sums it up. Most of us will only drive our cars on the street. I took the Hellcat to the drag strip once just to see what it did & make sure the car was not a dud.

I would love to hit some road courses w/the Miata, but that requires $ & time + I have no one to go with so whatever, street it is for me!
Well, if you move to Charlotte, we can be Miata buddies and hit up a track together. Or we can go to Zmax and see who can run the better 1/4 mile time lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #1395
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I never used the configurator, but I guess 95 would be damn near maxed. Either way, not maxing it, my build was approaching $80,000 with only 2-3 boxes checked.
You are not maxing out, but certainly building a 3LT Z51 which is the highest current level C8($76,900). Plus some other options your are speccing.

The majority will be getting 2LT. C8 2LT w/ Z51 is $72,295. A C7 2LT w/ Z51 is $68,455. So hardly a price jump for dct and mid engine layout.

Building a C8 Vette is no different than the C7. You can add stupid options like Porsche to your hearts content. You can go crazy with a base C7 and build one over $90k.
Appreciate 3
      03-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #1396
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
The quote on my C8 is 78k....within the range you listed. It's definitely price competitive with a M2CS since it starts over $80k.
i don't see anyone going for a M2CS over a C8 unless they are die hard BMW fans. there's no comparison here. the C8 makes any "sport" car models BMW makes overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #1397
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:
The quote on my C8 is 78k....within the range you listed. It's definitely price competitive with a M2CS since it starts over $80k.
i don't see anyone going for a M2CS over a C8 unless they are die hard BMW fans. there's no comparison here. the C8 makes any "sport" car models BMW makes overpriced.
You must be new here, this place is filled with exactly those people.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #1398
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
I think if you’re wanting a poor mans 911, the M2 could be an option but then you could also buy a pretty nice used 911 instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #1399
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think if you’re wanting a poor mans 911, the M2 could be an option but then you could also buy a pretty nice used 911 instead.
I'm not saying it's not a nice car, I've considered one a few times. But a Corvette is a truly different level of performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #1400
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Try and broaden your imagination. Im not going to get into listing shit... but just the fact that the M2C has 4 seats might be enough for someone to find the M2C more appealing.
      03-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #1401
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Try and broaden your imagination. Im not going to get into listing shit... but just the fact that the M2C has 4 seats might be enough for someone to find the M2C more appealing.
I assume he was talking about someone who would consider both. Clearly if you need a backseat, the C8 won't even be in consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:50 AM   #1402
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I assume he was talking about someone who would consider both. Clearly if you need a backseat, the C8 won't even be in consideration.
Perhaps. But I've considered both an M2C and a C8 and decided that the C8's pure sports car form factor is just too difficult to fit into my lifestyle and usage pattern. The M2C's 2+2 would work except I demand Active Cruise Control, and it isn't offered in this generation. Too bad it appears as though the next M3 is going to be so hideous; I expect ACC to be offered there.
      03-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #1403
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps. But I've considered both an M2C and a C8 and decided that the C8's pure sports car form factor is just too difficult to fit into my lifestyle and usage pattern. The M2C's 2+2 would work except I demand Active Cruise Control, and it isn't offered in this generation. Too bad it appears as though the next M3 is going to be so hideous; I expect ACC to be offered there.
I get it, I ruled out the M2 because I want rear windows that open. Obviously that kills the C8 for me too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #1404
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Only thing an M2 has over the C8 is the backseat, but if someone truly needs backseat room, they are not looking at an M2...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #1405
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Only thing an M2 has over the C8 is the backseat, but if someone truly needs backseat room, they are not looking at an M2...
Manual, turbski's, FR layout...? Those are some actual criteria I used when buying the M. Turbski's weren't mandatory, but it's much more headroom for tuning.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #1406
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Why not? Plus it's a fold-down rear seat that would let someone put, say a pair of skis, or a lay a pair of small tower speakers through the trunk. Admittedly this is a personal example of mine, but it shows the flaw in your absolutist statement.

I should add that I think the M2C has better ground clearance for snowy conditions. When we're talking about someone's only car, the M2C is decidedly more utilitarian.
      03-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #1407
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Why not? Plus it's a fold-down rear seat that would let someone put, say a pair of skis, or a lay a pair of small tower speakers through the trunk. Admittedly this is a personal example of mine, but it shows the flaw in your absolutist statement.

I should add that I think the M2C has better ground clearance for snowy conditions. When we're talking about someone's only car, the M2C is decidedly more utilitarian.
Given the size of the 2, I think this is going to be more of a stretch than the 3/4. As in the skis would be into the front seats. I would agree the M2 is more practical for sure. Seats like that aren't usually very practical for anything but kids, but it's far more storage area. Kind of like what drives people to a Camaro 1SS or 2SS 1LE, amazing chassis that is arguably better than C7, but far more storage/volume for situations, like shopping, etc. Heck, I fit the side-skirts I bought into the interior by putting the rear seats down, try that with any Corvette...nope.
      03-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #1408
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Given the size of the 2, I think this is going to be more of a stretch than the 3/4. As in the skis would be into the front seats. I would agree the M2 is more practical for sure. Seats like that aren't usually very practical for anything but kids, but it's far more storage area. Kind of like what drives people to a Camaro 1SS or 2SS 1LE, amazing chassis that is arguably better than C7, but far more storage/volume for situations, like shopping, etc. Heck, I fit the side-skirts I bought into the interior by putting the rear seats down, try that with any Corvette...nope.
Actually, you are wrong. You can try, and do it, with a C4, C5 or C6.
Appreciate 0