BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2020, 01:35 AM   #1
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Less than 3 weeks of ownership and already in the service department.

Just purchased a lovely 2020 x5 less than 3 weeks ago and have a few issues that will require then to order parts and leave me without my car for at least a week!

Granted, I have done some research on these forums to make sure I'm not missing anything in the iDrive settings. Anyway, my issues include:

1) air conditioning is finicky - while driving (not at a stop) sometimes it's just the fan that blows, no cold air. They just diagnosed this as needing a new condenser and compressor?

2) windshield wiper "shutters" on the return swing. - easy fix, just replace. Strange that it's happening on a brand new car though that did not sit in the showroom very long.

3) M- button doesn't give me the special M-heads up display. I've seen it on YouTube and this is my second M car. They can't seem to figure this one out?

So, my question is what has your dealership done to make it up to you, if at all? What should I or can I be pushing for? I'm not typically one to complain but dealing with the sales associates have left a sour taste in my mouth. Not to mention, I received NO DEAL during COVID19.
      05-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

sorry your first few weeks have been problematic. Frustrating, I know with a brand new car. There was another thread here about a new car that needed ac part replaced. You said you checked settings as that has also come up as a reason for not blowing cold air.

wipers are an easy fix, don't know about the M display you're talking about.

Other than fix the issues under warranty, not sure what you're looking for, or expecting them to do for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

He has a X5M. The heads up display can show the tach but must be selected in the iDrive to do so.
I wouldn’t expect your dealer to do anything other than warranty fix your car. What would you think you are entitled to other than a loaner car? The dealer didn’t scratch or dent your car while in service so it’s not really their fault. Your problems are on the minor side of what is reporting with hi-tech luxury/performance vehicles especially in the first production run of the very first year of a new model. I know this doesn’t temper your frustration but being first in line for a brand new high performance model has its negatives and it’s exclusivities.

On the plus side, problems/defects like yours tend to pop up within the first month of ownership so you are getting yours out of the way.

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-28-2020 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      05-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

The wipers are a constant battle for me. I had tried everything...had them replaced twice by the dealership...clay bars, cleaners, and everything in between. The response from my service department...it's a known issue as told to them by BMW. They know it's bullshit, as do I...but, I have it documented just in case it becomes a bigger issue and they try to give me a hard time.

It's a pain in the ass, but also really sucks when you get a good rain. I almost feel like it starts streaking at a certain point, making it even more difficult to see when driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Knock on wood, haven't had wiper issues. only had a car a few months and was in shop for most of that time though so we'll see I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
He has a X5M. The heads up display can show the tach but must be selected in the iDrive to do so.
I wouldn't expect your dealer to do anything other than warranty fix your car. What would you think you are entitled to other than a loaner car? The dealer didn't scratch or dent your car while in service so it's not really their fault. Your problems are on the minor side of what is reporting with hi-tech luxury/performance vehicles especially in the first production run of the very first year of a new model. I know this doesn't temper your frustration but being first in line for a brand new high performance model has its negatives and it's exclusivities.

On the plus side, problems/defects like yours tend to pop up within the first month of ownership so you are getting yours out of the way.
Hopefully no other problems or defects on a $120k+car.
      05-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
The wipers are a constant battle for me. I had tried everything...had them replaced twice by the dealership...clay bars, cleaners, and everything in between. The response from my service department...it's a known issue as told to them by BMW. They know it's bullshit, as do I...but, I have it documented just in case it becomes a bigger issue and they try to give me a hard time.

It's a pain in the ass, but also really sucks when you get a good rain. I almost feel like it starts streaking at a certain point, making it even more difficult to see when driving.
That's very frustrating. I wonder what the differences are between the X5 and X7 wipers. My 2020 X7 wipers have been perfect since day one. Actually, they are the best wipers I've had on any vehicle past or present.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains damn near every other day and all day and night during the winter. I got the car in November of 2019 and have 8700 miles on the original wiper blades. They're still working like new.

Does anyone know if they've made a change since the 2019 model year? Maybe that's why I don't have a problem and you and others with the 2019 models do.

I learned my lesson over 30 years ago to never by a first production year vehicle because of all the bugs. Although, I've also bought the last production model year also and have had problems but not nearly as bad as first model year production vehicles.

As many problems as you've had I would have pursued your states Lemon Law or tried to get BMW to facilitate a buy back/replacement vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mines is 2020
      05-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

I had a similar issue. On my X3, I had it fully loaded but on the 2nd day, the dynamic cruise control failed with a bunch of errors. Had to take it back to dealer and after diagnosis they said the front sensor is faulty and had to replace. It took 4days and was on a loaner that time.
If anything it was BMW's poor inspection in the assembly plant and no fault of the dealer. But to make it good and I didnt ask, but they gave me a gift certificate for $500 to use in their lifestyle store.

I used it to buy their car care products - shampoo, leather conditioner etc etc, all weather floor mats etc. I appreciated the gesture and their efforts.
They won my business when I upgraded X3->X5 early this year. Ofcourse there were other reasons too like best of all offers etc.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      05-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
007bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
Just purchased a lovely 2020 x5 less than 3 weeks ago and have a few issues that will require then to order parts and leave me without my car for at least a week!

Granted, I have done some research on these forums to make sure I'm not missing anything in the iDrive settings. Anyway, my issues include:

1) air conditioning is finicky - while driving (not at a stop) sometimes it's just the fan that blows, no cold air. They just diagnosed this as needing a new condenser and compressor?

2) windshield wiper "shutters" on the return swing. - easy fix, just replace. Strange that it's happening on a brand new car though that did not sit in the showroom very long.

3) M- button doesn't give me the special M-heads up display. I've seen it on YouTube and this is my second M car. They can't seem to figure this one out?

So, my question is what has your dealership done to make it up to you, if at all? What should I or can I be pushing for? I'm not typically one to complain but dealing with the sales associates have left a sour taste in my mouth. Not to mention, I received NO DEAL during COVID19.
If you financed or leased with BMW I would call into BMW corporate and complain and see if maybe then can credit you for a months payment. The issue is with the manufacturer not the dealer.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      05-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #11
desirusso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 SG

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I had to have the full digital dash replaced, the BC button didn't work since day 1... come to find out the whole dash was defective.... then the ac compressor was overfilled so they assumed that would fix the problem... now replacing the whole compressor.... I'm hoping that's all the issues... have yet to try the windshield wipers... maybe I need to do that too. My previous X5 was a 2019 that got lemoned out and I've only had the M50 less than 2 months.... hoping not a repeat.
      06-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So we are going on week 2 of being in the shop. Talked to BMWFS which then told me to call BMW customer relations. They said, they will not compensate in any way even though I've had the car for about 3 weeks before it has been in the shop for a week to 2 weeks.

You would think spending $123k on a car, they would care more.
      06-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #13
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
I had a similar issue. On my X3, I had it fully loaded but on the 2nd day, the dynamic cruise control failed with a bunch of errors. Had to take it back to dealer and after diagnosis they said the front sensor is faulty and had to replace. It took 4days and was on a loaner that time.
If anything it was BMW's poor inspection in the assembly plant and no fault of the dealer. But to make it good and I didnt ask, but they gave me a gift certificate for $500 to use in their lifestyle store.

I used it to buy their car care products - shampoo, leather conditioner etc etc, all weather floor mats etc. I appreciated the gesture and their efforts.
They won my business when I upgraded X3->X5 early this year. Ofcourse there were other reasons too like best of all offers etc.
I'm curios which of those front sensors was faulty in your car: was it the radar in the front bumper or the KAFAS unit at the top of the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So we are going on week 2 of being in the shop. Talked to BMWFS which then told me to call BMW customer relations. They said, they will not compensate in any way even though I've had the car for about 3 weeks before it has been in the shop for a week to 2 weeks.

Check your states Lemon Law. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law.

I believe that you can demand a replacement vehicle from BMW based on them having the car for 30 days or more. Those 30 days DO NOT have to be consecutive days either.

I would tell BMW they have two choices. Facilitate a vehicle exchange through BMW or tell BMW you are pursuing the Texas Lemon Law claim.

If the dealer hasn't had the vehicle for a total of 30 days (combined) you might just want to lay low until that 30 day time period arrives. Then give them the two options.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      06-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:

Did they say what needs to be replaced or fixed? I would imagine the compressor is the only fix needed....

What was your cars build date?

Alan
      06-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
YYCG05
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 50i

My AC wasn't working from the get-go either. First time it was warm enough to turn it on, it was blowing warm air and the compressor had to be replaced.

I also have the same issue with the wipers which is rather annoying.

Only other issue I have is that the buttons to change drive mode (ie sport/sport plus, etc) doesn't work. This seems to happen sporadically maybe 25% of the time and I have yet to take it in to get fixed.

Past - 14 BMW X5 35i, 11 BMW 550xi, 08 BMW 550i, 09 BMW 335i, 06 BMW 330i, 04 G35 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:59 AM   #17
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCG05 View Post
My AC wasn't working from the get-go either. First time it was warm enough to turn it on, it was blowing warm air and the compressor had to be replaced.

Only other issue I have is that the buttons to change drive mode (ie sport/sport plus, etc) doesn't work. This seems to happen sporadically maybe 25% of the time and I have yet to take it in to get fixed.
Oh wow. That's crazy!

Apparently, the parts to fix my car won't come until the end of the month. Anyone wanna help me with lemoning this?
      06-04-2020, 01:12 AM   #18
007bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCG05 View Post

Oh wow. That's crazy!

Apparently, the parts to fix my car won't come until the end of the month. Anyone wanna help me with lemoning this?
Check out Lemon Law Group Partners. I used them on a previous car and was happy.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      06-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #19
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I may have spoken too soon about not having any issues with wipers. was in some rain yesterday and noticed that the bottom part of the blade really does shutter on the return. really kind of flapping around. doesn't streak and gets the job done but doesn't look like something that's very solidly attached/designed.

I do have my windshield ceramic coated and a lot of the rain just flies off so i can actually use them less than if it wasn't coated. just wanted to mention i get what others have said.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      06-05-2020, 02:07 AM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
I may have spoken too soon about not having any issues with wipers. was in some rain yesterday and noticed that the bottom part of the blade really does shutter on the return. really kind of flapping around. doesn't streak and gets the job done but doesn't look like something that's very solidly attached/designed.

I do have my windshield ceramic coated and a lot of the rain just flies off so i can actually use them less than if it wasn't coated. just wanted to mention i get what others have said.
What model year do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #21
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #22
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
This is odd that their seems to be more issues in the X5 than in the X7. Windshield wipers, steering wheel issues, tire noise, etc.

The X5 has been around a lot longer than the X7. However, the 2019 model year brought a new design for the X5 and a brand new vehicle for the X7.

Maybe the X7 was BMW's way of changing several things due to the size difference which also may have addressed some of the issues they were having with the X5. For example, maybe the curvature on the X5 windshield/windscreen is different from the X7 which might be causing the chatter of the wiper blade.

However, I'm not sure what the technical differences are between the X5 and X7 steering wheel, and steering column. I do know the steering wheels are different between the two but I doubt that would have anything to do with grinding and failure issues that seem to be more prevalent in the X5.

Last edited by mitch57; 06-08-2020 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00