BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
luprang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 325i

Supercharged M3!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I was on the way to a baseball game with two of my friends and I drive by a blue M3. I do my usual overview and see he has the CSL wheels and think damn this guy has it made. I drive a little more aggressive to see if this guy will follow - which he does. When I am in front of him, I look back to see where he is and see the infamous intercooler at the point which I nearly shit myself. For all you Houstonians this was the M3 at BHS for about 6 months. We finally pull up next to each other and I roll down my window and give him mad props about his car. I asked him how much he was puttin out and he said roughly 750 hp. He gave me a little tease as we neared the ball park at which he spun tire like crazy. I'll see if either Hunter or I can post some pics of this truly insane car. (He said it was supercharged but it sounded like it had a blow off valve like a turbo????)

Last note -the Astros beat Pittsburgh 3-1 lol

Lighting - PMB Hyperwhite : Hoen H11 Fog Lights
Exterior Mods - 15% Tint All around : OEM Chrome Grille : OEM Chrome Exhaust : OEM Spoiler : Debadge : Velocity CSL Replica Wheels 19x8.5 / 19x9.5 : Hankook Ventus Sport K104 235/35/19 (Front) 265/30/19 (Rear)

Future - Intake : Exhaust : ECU Reflash
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
nice..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Wish I could see it
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luprang
Yesterday I was on the way to a baseball game with two of my friends and I drive by a blue M3. I do my usual overview and see he has the CSL wheels and think damn this guy has it made. I drive a little more aggressive to see if this guy will follow - which he does. When I am in front of him, I look back to see where he is and see the infamous intercooler at the point which I nearly shit myself. For all you Houstonians this was the M3 at BHS for about 6 months. We finally pull up next to each other and I roll down my window and give him mad props about his car. I asked him how much he was puttin out and he said roughly 750 hp. He gave me a little tease as we neared the ball park at which he spun tire like crazy. I'll see if either Hunter or I can post some pics of this truly insane car. (He said it was supercharged but it sounded like it had a blow off valve like a turbo????)

08-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

That thing is a streight up beast
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by luprang

I'm not a huge FI fanatic, so some one correct me if I'm wrong.

But I believe superchargers can use blow-off valve's as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

nice. we def. gotta see some pix! and if we had some video footage that would be even sweeter.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Is it an E46 M3? If so he may be pulling your leg a little, that HP is pretty high for an E46 M3 even with a SC. The Stage 3 AA ones (there are only a couple cars in it in the world since AA does not sell it to the general public and may never do so, the ones with it are test mules) are only pushing a little over 600 HP and that's running on 100 octane race gas, the MAF removed, along many other things (that's on jmweb's car who has the "world's fastest E46 M3" and is the only E46 M3 to hit the 11 sec mark in the 1/4 mile.) Even Dinan's biggest SC E46 M3 is only at 462 HP. If he is managing to pull that amount of HP out of an S54 motor then there are people who will want to talk to him.

Last edited by Carnage; 08-09-2006 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
Is it an E46 M3? If so he may be pulling your leg a little, that HP is pretty high for an E46 M3 even with a SC. The Stage 3 AA ones (there are only a couple cars in it in the world since AA does not sell it to the general public and may never do so, the ones with it are test mules) are only pushing a little over 600 HP and that's running on 100 octane race gas, the MAF removed, along many other things (that's on jmweb's car who has the "world's fastest E46 M3" and is the only E46 M3 to hit the 11 sec mark in the 1/4 mile.) Even Dinan's biggest SC E46 M3 is only at 462 HP. If he is managing to pull that amount of HP out of an S54 motor then there are people who will want to talk to him.
I have no doubt that BHS would be able to get those kind of numbers from the e46 M3. They add TONS of engine reinforcement with each of their supercharger kits. I think there was an M3 at their shop that took roughly 3 months to finish the kit for because of how much work goes into each kit they add. I would also hope you would get that kind of hp from one of their kits because the price is insanely high(30k+ if I remember correctly). All those other kits you were comparing it too merely added a supercharger and intercooler, while this kit adds a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90
I have no doubt that BHS would be able to get those kind of numbers from the e46 M3. They add TONS of engine reinforcement with each of their supercharger kits. I think there was an M3 at their shop that took roughly 3 months to finish the kit for because of how much work goes into each kit they add. I would also hope you would get that kind of hp from one of their kits because the price is insanely high(30k+ if I remember correctly). All those other kits you were comparing it too merely added a supercharger and intercooler, while this kit adds a lot more.
Read up on the Stage 3 from Active Autowerke before you make a statement like that. There's a hell of alot more to that then just a SC and intercooler. AA won't even warranty the Stage 3 to the few people who do have it. AA and Dinan are considered the best at supercharging M3's and they haven't gotten anywhere close to that kind of HP. So if BHS has, what are they doing the these major outfits haven't figured out?

Note: Taza finally got his to just his Stage 3 to right at 704-705 HP and he's the 1st to break 700 with it. He's running at 10.5psi and it took replacing just about everything on the motor to get that.

Last edited by Carnage; 08-09-2006 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Yeah, if it were an E36 and turboed I would believe it, but E46 and supercharge...750 is unrealistic.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
c-lee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Yep a compressor by pass valve. it can sound like a blow off valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYMIKE
I'm not a huge FI fanatic, so some one correct me if I'm wrong.

But I believe superchargers can use blow-off valve's as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Yeah, if it were an E36 and turboed I would believe it, but E46 and supercharge...750 is unrealistic.
That's exactly why I specifically said the E46. E36 M3, Z3's and other models which have turbo kits available have reached that area of HP but not the E46, yet. It's been 6 years and no one has yet to provide a turbo kit for the E46 M3 that's reliable. A couple of vendors have said they are "testing" but they've been "testing" for years and have yet to bring it to the table.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

It is very possible

It is running around 29 lbs of boost

Ryan, this is the car you were talking about
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #15
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Read up on the Stage 3 from Active Autowerke before you make a statement like that. There's a hell of alot more to that then just a SC and intercooler. AA won't even warranty the Stage 3 to the few people who do have it. AA and Dinan are considered the best at supercharging M3's and they haven't gotten anywhere close to that kind of HP. So if BHS has, what are they doing the these major outfits haven't figured out?

Note: Taza finally got his to just his Stage 3 to right at 704-705 HP and he's the 1st to break 700 with it. He's running at 10.5psi and it took replacing just about everything on the motor to get that.
Ya, my bad on the AA supercharger Is there any link that shows what the stage 3 package consists of? Hey, if Taza is able to get 705 hp from 10.5 PSI of boost, don't you think BHS could make 750 HP with around 20 PSI of boost? There's really no mystery as to how to get 750 HP out of a 3.2 liter motor. Hell, they can get 1000+ HP from a 3 liter supra motor, so why can't they get results close to that with reinforced internals and a TON of boost??
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #16
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
hes lying there is no way he can get 700+ thats just the biggest load of shit. The biggest charger running on 21 lbs of boost is 570hp which is that Red M3 done by axiom. unless someone has done something that i havnt heard of yet. but from what i know this is just not possible
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #17
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalm3
hes lying there is no way he can get 700+ thats just the biggest load of shit. The biggest charger running on 21 lbs of boost is 570hp which is that Red M3 done by axiom. unless someone has done something that i havnt heard of yet. but from what i know this is just not possible
go here and see the word on Taza's....http://www.activeautowerke.com/
There's an article on his car in Luxury & Exotics Mag. He's pulling 563 HP to the rear wheels which comes out to about 705 HP at the flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #18
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya, my bad on the AA supercharger Is there any link that shows what the stage 3 package consists of? Hey, if Taza is able to get 705 hp from 10.5 PSI of boost, don't you think BHS could make 750 HP with around 20 PSI of boost? There's really no mystery as to how to get 750 HP out of a 3.2 liter motor. Hell, they can get 1000+ HP from a 3 liter supra motor, so why can't they get results close to that with reinforced internals and a TON of boost??
A couple of things play into that. The MAF's and ECU's on the BMW make it very difficult to do the same types of things you see on Supra's, Evo's, etc. Another is the S54's ability to sustain itself under that much additional pressure. To get 10.5 psi to be effective, you're upgrading rods and pistons and compression is usually lowered from 11.5 to 1 to 10/9.5 to 1. An additional problem is the size of the injectors. The injectors on the S54 are too small to handle the amount of fuel necessary to feed that much boost and replacing injectors on this car is a nightmare for tuners because they have to be mapped individually. The general consensus is that to get the S54 in a position to handle those 800, 900, 1000 HP type numbers (if it's even possible) that you basically replace so much that you've built a new motor and if you're going to spend that kind of money on upgrading it you may as well just build a new motor instead.

Last edited by Carnage; 08-09-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #19
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
A couple of things play into that. The MAF's and ECU's on the BMW make it very difficult to do the same types of things you see on Supra's, Evo's, etc. Another is the S54's ability to sustain itself under that much additional pressure. To get 10.5 psi to be effective, you're upgrading rods and pistons and compression is usually lowered from 11.5 to 1 to 10/9.5 to 1. An additional problem is the size of the injectors. The injectors on the S54 are too small to handle the amount of fuel necessary to feed that much boost and replacing injectors on this car is a nightmare for tuners because they have to be mapped individually. The general consensus is that to get the S54 in a position to handle those 800, 900, 1000 HP type numbers (if it's even possible) that you basically replace so much that you've built a new motor and if you're going to spend that kind of money on upgrading it you may as well just build a new motor instead.
I agree that in order to get those kind of numbers, you are basically building a new engine, but that's what BHS does. I'll be sure to ask those guys next time I see 'em and I'll also try to get my hands of a copy of a dyno for one of their M3's. Maybe I'm just not remembering the numbers correctly, but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree that in order to get those kind of numbers, you are basically building a new engine, but that's what BHS does. I'll be sure to ask those guys next time I see 'em and I'll also try to get my hands of a copy of a dyno for one of their M3's. Maybe I'm just not remembering the numbers correctly, but I doubt it.
If that's what they do then that is different. In terms of just using what BMW gave us, no one has been able to get that kind of HP out of the S54, yet. Can you have a 750+ HP M3, sure you can but it's probably running a different motor and not the S54. It's no different that pulling out the original motor in a Camaro and replacing it with a boared out Rat motor to hit a certain HP number.

Note: I talked to Joel at BHS today. He is a good guy and they are definitely the real deal. Their Stage 1 cars are running at 530 HP at the rear wheel or 700 HP at the flywheel. The Stage 1 is built for everyday driving and 93 Octane gas. It's about 40K altogether and takes about 3 months to finish the project but he is going WAY beyond what Dinan, AA and others are doing. He has done 2 M3's for guys in Chicago and about 15-20 M3's altogether but none in my area. I'm seriously considering having him put a Stage 1 on mine next Winter since I'll have the time (and the weather) to live without the car for 3 months.

Last edited by Carnage; 08-10-2006 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #21
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Note: I talked to Joel at BHS today. He is a good guy and they are definitely the real deal. Their Stage 1 cars are running at 530 HP at the rear wheel or 700 HP at the flywheel. The Stage 1 is built for everyday driving and 93 Octane gas. It's about 40K altogether and takes about 3 months to finish the project but he is going WAY beyond what Dinan, AA and others are doing. He has done 2 M3's for guys in Chicago and about 15-20 M3's altogether but none in my area. I'm seriously considering having him put a Stage 1 on mine next Winter since I'll have the time (and the weather) to live without the car for 3 months.
Yep, Joel does some awesome work. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your M3 next time I'm at BHS. So I guess that means you live in or around Houston? If you do, you are REQUIRED to show up at the next meet and give us rides if you end up getting the stage 1 .
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #22
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, Joel does some awesome work. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your M3 next time I'm at BHS. So I guess that means you live in or around Houston? If you do, you are REQUIRED to show up at the next meet and give us rides if you end up getting the stage 1 .
Nope, I actually live in Iowa now but I went to High School in Corsicana and I lived in Tx. for 20+ years. My brother still lives in Manvel. I'm probably just going to drive it down and come back to get it when he's finished, it gives me an excuse to see my parents.
Appreciate 0