BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Front plate

Wanting/needing to run a front plate and thinking of using zip ties to the lower grill to the left of the cruise sensor rather than screwing in to the front bumper.
I did this on my F85's with no issue.
Anyone see any issues with blocking vents or cooling on this by the size of the plate?
Anyone done something similar?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I've seen aftermarket kits that don't require you to screw into bumpers and also some have quick disconnects and typically mount from under the front... On cell right now but you can google stealth front plate mount..
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
screwstonspeedster
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Front License Plate Bracket https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1573572

Not sure if you've read through this thread, but I've had luck with the Cravenspeed kit. I have an xline (non m sport) x40i and the m sport version of the Cravenspeed kit clears all sensors on my X5. I've been running it almost 2 months now, and I've been happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
the best quick disconnect in my opinion made by http://www.usmillworks.com/
not totally sure if they have one for F95 yet but I loved one on E70X5M
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

I appreciate all the advice I've received on quick disconnect holders but not interested in those that attach by the tow hook. Was just asking if anyone thought attaching to the lower honeycomb grill would restrict too much airflow I did this in my f85's with no issue. I'll try it and watch the temperature or look at the holder that attaches to the lower hc grill

Last edited by mswaz; 09-16-2020 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

3M dual lock Velcro. two vertical strips on the sides of the plate is enough to hold it. I've done this on many cars including my F95. Its as low profile as you can get without blocking any airflow or sensors.
      09-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
3M dual lock Velcro. two vertical strips on the sides of the plate is enough to hold it. I've done this on many cars including my F95. Its as low profile as you can get without blocking any airflow or sensors.
would you be willing to post a picture to see where you attached it. Thought of doing that but seems it would then be very easy for someone to take, though not sure why someone would, but you can never underestimate the general public.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
Wanting/needing to run a front plate and thinking of using zip ties to the lower grill to the left of the cruise sensor rather than screwing in to the front bumper.
I did this on my F85's with no issue.
Anyone see any issues with blocking vents or cooling on this by the size of the plate?
Anyone done something similar?
cravenspeed has a tow hook mount that works perfect.

you likely won't pass inspection with zip ties or Velcro as most states have cameras in the Inspection bays and require bolts to be present on the plate. I tried the double-sided tape and they turned me away. got the cravenspeed mount and passed no problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
I came up with a different solution. I had a spare magnetic cell phone holder in the garage. I attached the holder to the webbed part of the lower grill and the metal plate to the back of the license plate.

The magnetic holder is strong enough to hold the license plate even at 130mph+.... Air is pushing it towards the car, not away, so it's not an issue.
      09-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Make sense?
With the plate off, it's almost invisible since it's black. It's only 1" in diameter.
Attached Images

09-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
would you be willing to post a picture to see where you attached it. Thought of doing that but seems it would then be very easy for someone to take, though not sure why someone would, but you can never underestimate the general public.
My thoughts are nobody is going around stealing license plates. If they were it doesn't matter how you attach it because you can rip the whole mount off the car in seconds if they wanted to.

I put two vertical strips of the dual lock tape right next to each other on the side of the plate. Wind pushes the plate into the velcro so its not going anywhere. I use this method on my previous F15 and F85 without an issues.

The plate looks like its floating and the metal plate does not touch the bumper at all. It also does not impact the sensor below it if you install it like I did all the way up just before the raised edge

Get two packs of this and you are set. Make sure you clean the area to remove any wax/residue, then heat up the tape before applying it to the bumper and to the plate. I would let it sit for a few hours before actually attaching the plate to the car allowing the adhesive to cure. It comes in clear or black. Black is great because you can easily remove the front plate for photos and the black tape sorta blends right into that area of the bumper which you can edit out easily if needed. I for one can't stand off center plates or crooked danging plates with zip ties. Best part is that its all reversible without leaving any marks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-16-2020 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
Noneya251.50
      09-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #12
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
My thoughts are nobody is going around stealing license plates. If they were it doesn't matter how you attach it because you can rip the whole mount off the car in seconds if they wanted to.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0903b125_h.jpg[/img]

I put two vertical strips of the dual lock tape right next to each other on the side of the plate. Wind pushes the plate into the velcro so its not going anywhere. I use this method on my previous F15 and F85 without an issues.
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1ae33bd7_h.jpg[/img]

The plate looks like its floating and the metal plate does not touch the bumper at all. It also does not impact the sensor below it if you install it like I did all the way up just before the raised edge

Get two packs of this and you are set. Make sure you clean the area to remove any wax/residue, then heat up the tape before applying it to the bumper and to the plate. I would let it sit for a few hours before actually attaching the plate to the car allowing the adhesive to cure. It comes in clear or black. Black is great because you can easily remove the front plate for photos and the black tape sorta blends right into that area of the bumper which you can edit out easily if needed. I for one can't stand off center plates or crooked danging plates with zip ties. Best part is that its all reversible without leaving any marks.
How does it look without the plate?

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Tow hook bracket. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0