BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #45
RoryBarry
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but for the life of my I can't get ETJA to show up while driving in traffic. I have the driver's assistance plus package and have researched the issue for hours on end and still can't get the ETJA option to show up.

I drive in traffic every day in Chicago, IL so I would think that highway driving should qualify for the ETJA option. I've tried moving the steering wheel so the camera has clear view of my eyes and also went through all the other functional requirements and still nothing. Any ideas on what to do?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 01:13 PM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryBarry View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but for the life of my I can't get ETJA to show up while driving in traffic. I have the driver's assistance plus package and have researched the issue for hours on end and still can't get the ETJA option to show up.

I drive in traffic every day in Chicago, IL so I would think that highway driving should qualify for the ETJA option. I've tried moving the steering wheel so the camera has clear view of my eyes and also went through all the other functional requirements and still nothing. Any ideas on what to do?
Welcome to the forum. It could be that the highways you are driving on just don't qualify for some reason. Have you been out of the area and in conditions where it should have worked and it didn't? My guess would be that everything is fine with your vehicle and the conditions just aren't being met.
      04-22-2023, 01:17 PM   #47
RoryBarry
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! I have been out of the area in traffic and same thing, I've never once seen the option to enable ETJA. It would also seem crazy that one of the largest cities in America isn't supported as I drive on all the major highways around downtown. If that truly is the case it's extremely disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 01:24 PM   #48
bbargfr2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (2023)

Quote:
Thanks! I have been out of the area in traffic and same thing, I've never once seen the option to enable ETJA. It would also seem crazy that one of the largest cities in America isn't supported as I drive on all the major highways around downtown. If that truly is the case it's extremely disappointing.
I have had success with it whenever I try it on 290 and I88. Which highways are you driving the most where it doesn’t work?

It sounds like you’re well versed on the conditions to trigger it, but just in case, I have to have adaptive cruise control with steering inputs on (where you have to keep a hand on the wheel). Then after a few seconds of under 40mph driving, a pop up message comes and I have to press ‘mode’ to jump into ETJA.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #49
RoryBarry
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbargfr2 View Post
I have had success with it whenever I try it on 290 and I88. Which highways are you driving the most where it doesn’t work?

It sounds like you’re well versed on the conditions to trigger it, but just in case, I have to have adaptive cruise control with steering inputs on (where you have to keep a hand on the wheel). Then after a few seconds of under 40mph driving, a pop up message comes and I have to press ‘mode’ to jump into ETJA.
290 is the highway I am on the most, pretty much everyday. I use the ACC with lane keep assist whenever I am in traffic and that works just fine, but I've never gotten the pop up for ETJA. Not sure if this would be related at all, but I also have the issue where my OTA software update won't install. The update (07/2020.80) downloaded no problem, but I've never gotten the prompt to install it. It's been about a month now and it still says software upgrade ready to install, but no prompt to actually start the install.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #50
bbargfr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
290 is the highway I am on the most, pretty much everyday. I use the ACC with lane keep assist whenever I am in traffic and that works just fine, but I've never gotten the pop up for ETJA. Not sure if this would be related at all, but I also have the issue where my OTA software update won't install. The update (07/2020.80) downloaded no problem, but I've never gotten the prompt to install it. It's been about a month now and it still says software upgrade ready to install, but no prompt to actually start the install.
Hmm, that is strange. Maybe it could be due to the software update… I’m not sure. My build was Oct 2022 and came with 07/2022.41. I actually only got the notification to update to 11/2022.60 today so will be going through that process shortly (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 02:20 PM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
No, that wouldn't be related at all. The update not loading is a common issue.
      04-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #52
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

There is one more thing to check:
There is a camera in the dash which seeks to measure “Driver Attention”. It is easy for the steering wheel to get between this camera and your eyes, and if the camera cannot detect your eyes, you will not be offered the ETJA.
This is very frustrating because the position of the steering wheel is set properly in my Driver Profile, yet it frequently stops short of moving the steering wheel to the proper height. I have gotten into the habit of pressing the Seat memory button before trying to engage the ETJA.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:25 AM   #53
RoryBarry
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
There is one more thing to check:
There is a camera in the dash which seeks to measure “Driver Attention”. It is easy for the steering wheel to get between this camera and your eyes, and if the camera cannot detect your eyes, you will not be offered the ETJA.
This is very frustrating because the position of the steering wheel is set properly in my Driver Profile, yet it frequently stops short of moving the steering wheel to the proper height. I have gotten into the habit of pressing the Seat memory button before trying to engage the ETJA.
I've tried moving the steering wheel a bunch of times to make sure the camera isn't blocked and still nothing. I also make sure not to wear sunglasses so that doesn't interfere.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #54
bbargfr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I've tried moving the steering wheel a bunch of times to make sure the camera isn't blocked and still nothing. I also make sure not to wear sunglasses so that doesn't interfere.
I’m trying to think of why it isn’t working for you, so apologies if you’ve tried all these things… did you check the settings in this menu?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 01:49 PM   #55
RoryBarry
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m trying to think of why it isn’t working for you, so apologies if you’ve tried all these things… did you check the settings in this menu?
No worries at all! Appreciate your help. Yes I do have the camera setting enabled.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 03:08 PM   #56
bbargfr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No worries at all! Appreciate your help. Yes I do have the camera setting enabled.
The only other thing I can think of is that maybe some of the settings under the driver assistance menu need to be enabled? Although if you can do the normal adaptive cruise with hands on steering wheel it seems like they would be what they need to be.

Long shots after looking at the manual:
-Is your seatbelt on? lol
-Maybe resetting Idrive could be worth a shot?
-if a necessary sensor or camera were bad, you would think it would tell you. The break reminder fatigue alert should use the same camera facing you. Maybe you increase that sensitivity and test to see if it’s working for that function?

As a fellow 290 sufferer, I want this to work for you as it’s been great and was worth getting DAP for!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 03:55 PM   #57
RoryBarry
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is that maybe some of the settings under the driver assistance menu need to be enabled? Although if you can do the normal adaptive cruise with hands on steering wheel it seems like they would be what they need to be.

Long shots after looking at the manual:
-Is your seatbelt on? lol
-Maybe resetting Idrive could be worth a shot?
-if a necessary sensor or camera were bad, you would think it would tell you. The break reminder fatigue alert should use the same camera facing you. Maybe you increase that sensitivity and test to see if it’s working for that function?

As a fellow 290 sufferer, I want this to work for you as it’s been great and was worth getting DAP for!
Seatbelt is on, but I did read a thread where that was the issue so good call out.
I've tried resetting iDrive a couple times and no luck there.
I will try increasing the sensitivity for the fatigue alert and see what happens, but like you said if a sensor isn't working I would think a notification would show up.

Thanks very much for your suggestions/help. My last ditch effort will be to bring it to a dealer, but it's a very tough issue to test/diagnose/fix from what it sounds like.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 06:06 PM   #58
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
One more thing to check is if your 2019 was built before 12-2018 it wouldn’t have come with ETJA. Few of the cars had cameras with the pro or Plus dapp but the dapp professional came with ETJA in 12-2018.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #59
bbargfr2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Seatbelt is on, but I did read a thread where that was the issue so good call out.
I've tried resetting iDrive a couple times and no luck there.
I will try increasing the sensitivity for the fatigue alert and see what happens, but like you said if a sensor isn't working I would think a notification would show up.

Thanks very much for your suggestions/help. My last ditch effort will be to bring it to a dealer, but it's a very tough issue to test/diagnose/fix from what it sounds like.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

I noticed on various car review videos that the driver attention camera appears to flash (because of the high resolution video or something but not visible to the human eye). That could be another test of its function to crank up the resolution on your phone and (safely) film the attention camera!
Appreciate 1