E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > let's talk about coilovers,wheels,tires for auto x, daily driver

06-26-2015, 03:26 AM   #23
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

The KW V2 are going for 1,700 bucks if interested PM me ill give you the persons name. How much were the BCR?
      06-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #24
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost View Post
The KW V2 are going for 1,700 bucks if interested PM me ill give you the persons name. How much were the BCR?
If you like to preserve your front tires, you should get a setup with adjustable camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
Quote:
If you like to preserve your front tires, you should get a setup with adjustable camber plates.
What would you recommend then?
      06-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #26
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What would you recommend then?
Depends on the budget.

Low end. M3 Front Control Arms, E93 M3 Front Sway, Dinan Plates, BMW PS or Koni Yellow paired with BMW PS springs. You will be able to get -2.7 degree of camber, perfect for a dual use car. And it will still be civilized enough for a DD car with the awful midwest roads. You don't need a coilover unless you really want to drop the car. These cars have pretty good weigh distribution, so ability to corner balancing that comes with coilovers might not be worth the trouble on non-stripped out car.

High end. M3 front control arms. Motion Control 2-way Remote Reservoir, with Vorshlag camber plates.

TC Kline SA could be a decent middle ground setup. I have the DA kit, but honestly, I didn't find it to be much better than the BMW PS kit that I used to run, well at least not worth the price difference to me. I should have just kept them or just save up for a high quality high pressure monotube setup like Motion Control, Ohlins TTX (not the Road and Track ones), and JRZ.

Not an apple to apple comparison, but the stock Ohlins TTX based shocks on my bike feels a lot more precise than the twin tube Koni based shock in the TC Kline kit, despite the fact the Ohlins are more than 8 years old and have 12k miles on them (never recharged the nitrogen in them, but I probably should soon).

KW kits are ok, but their shocks are the same level of the Koni based shocks found in TC Kline and Ground Control kits. They are all low pressure twin tubes after all. I personally think they are overpriced for what they are.

Point is, for coilover, you get what you paid for, especially at the high end level. But you have to consider if the extra performance really worth it for you and can you really extract the extra performance that they offer with your skill level? I personally would spend the money on a cheaper spring + shock kit, and save the rest for M3 control arms, LSD, and rear subframe bushings. That way if you want to upgrade in the future, you will have a much better chassis to build on.

Last edited by Cloud9blue; 06-26-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #27
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
TC Kline SA could be a decent middle ground setup. I have the DA kit, but honestly, I didn't find it to be much better than the BMW PS kit that I used to run, well at least not worth the price difference to me. I should have just kept them or just save up for a high quality high pressure monotube setup like Motion Control, Ohlins TTX (not the Road and Track ones), and JRZ.
I'd agree TC is a middle ground setup however I HIGHLY disagree that it's not much different than a BMW PS kit.

Rebound/Compression adjustments make a huge difference in tuning ability with the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #28
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I'd agree TC is a middle ground setup however I HIGHLY disagree that it's not much different than a BMW PS kit.

Rebound/Compression adjustments make a huge difference in tuning ability with the car.
Maybe for auto-x, where the weight transfers are constantly occurring, but for a relatively fast road course, I don't experience as much of a difference to justify the increase in costs of these kits from my experience.

My laptime at Gingerman Raceway from last year while running BMW PS kits are 1:47.35, which is probably the one of the fastest lap times for any E9x, M3 or 335i, running on non-R compound street tires.

And this year with TC K DA, one size larger Hankook R-S3 tires, probably 30 more whp from running full e85, and much better driving from last year as I gain more experience on this track, I still "only" managed to get 1:46.08. Sure, the car feels more precise, but I don't see that and the extra 1 second is worth the extra $2k, especially when I am not racing for money and on cars that is only worth $10-20k these days .
Appreciate 0