FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
No you are taking that out of context. My point on Pobst was that I trust a seasoned driver most. Chris Walton from my knowledge is certainly more of a driver than any of the guys from R&T so there is a degree of greater capability there.
The article states Chevy took the car back each night and checked it over and from what I was told from someone involved the caveat allowed them to do so.
Wrt Ring times. I’m talking about Sport Auto’s time by the same driver. Aside from that, chevys factory time won’t beat Porsche’s factory times. There’s also a reason Chevy never released a C7 Vette time - bc it couldn’t beat the 991.1S. So it’s not just a C8 thing. Mind you a ZR1 with 750 hp is slower on the Ring than a 520 hp GT3 RS.
Aside from track focused people, who the hell is buying cars based on atrack or ring time? Not most buyers...
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #68
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

We have SO MUCH power for road use that to me, it will matter more what the car feels like and sound like. My 2c anyway. The vette, and most super cars, are enormous things, just huge.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #69
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

The article said that the car R&T had was a pre-production model which does not represent the final product that buyers will get. I think it’s safe to say that there will be tweaks in performance, there’s always ways to get a little more umph and I doubt Chevy will be not working to make it better.
Agreed, I’m also guessing they’ll be doing a software update to speed up and improve trans shifts among other things with the extra time.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #70
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
The article said that the car R&T had was a pre-production model which does not represent the final product that buyers will get. I think it’s safe to say that there will be tweaks in performance, there’s always ways to get a little more umph and I doubt Chevy will be not working to make it better.
Agreed, I’m also guessing they’ll be doing a software update to speed up and improve trans shifts among other things with the extra time.
I'm pretty sure that caveat applies more to physical fit and finish and not the engine or electronics. At least that's how I read it. I mean the tires, gears, drivetrain, exhaust or engine etc aren't going to change. But before they get ready to build the car in production, they might be able to tighten up some tolerances on door gaps or perhaps paint adjustments. The entire supply chain has been pretty much locked in at this point I would guess. I just read somewhere that the "new" accelerate yellow color unique to the C8 was actually created as far back as 2017. It's not like making a change is as simple as ordering something from Amazon Prime.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #71
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I'm pretty sure that caveat applies more to physical fit and finish and not the engine or electronics. At least that's how I read it. I mean the tires, gears, drivetrain, exhaust or engine etc aren't going to change. But before they get ready to build the car in production, they might be able to tighten up some tolerances on door gaps or perhaps paint adjustments. The entire supply chain has been pretty much locked in at this point I would guess. I just read somewhere that the "new" accelerate yellow color unique to the C8 was actually created as far back as 2017. It's not like making a change is as simple as ordering something from Amazon Prime.
By performance tweaking I didn’t mean changing hard parts per se, just fiddling with software in the trans for example as we said but in addition possibly engine tuning, minor suspension settings and the like, small changes. We know that much of a cars today’s functions are done with computers and it’s software, Small changes can add up to a better car. As well as fit and finish stuff of course.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #72
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
By performance tweaking I didn’t mean changing hard parts per se, just fiddling with software in the trans for example as we said but in addition possibly engine tuning, minor suspension settings and the like, small changes. We know that much of a cars today’s functions are done with computers and it’s software, Small changes can add up to a better car. As well as fit and finish stuff of course.
That's wishful thinking.

Those cars the magazines got to test has real VINs. As in they rolled off the production line as intended. Is there going to be some rolling changes? Yeah. Just like the mag ride software was changed for 2017, 2018, and 2019, or the dash software was changed between 2014 and 2015, and USB port added in 2016 and more cooling cores added in 2017 for the Z06...etc. There will ALWAYS be some running changes, and that's just the nature of the beast.

But the 2020 Corvette rolling off the production line are going to be virtually identical to the cars that was provided to the journalists to test drive, you can count on it. It is already too late to make wholesale changes on the car as most of the specifications are already locked in for production. I've done work with GM in the past, and believe you me, they don't work the way YOU think they work. In order to get the massive discount in scale for the parts, they're all ordered 6-8 months ahead of time, and it takes moving heaven and earth to make production changes. That's why, if there's going to be significant changes to geometry or transmission programming, it won't come until 2021 MY at the earliest.

This mantra bears repeating. NEVER buy first year GM products. NEVER (That goes for BMWs too, actually). Give it at least 1 full production year for the early adapters to sort out the problems for GM first.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #73
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That's wishful thinking.
What didn’t you understand when I said, tweaking, not changing hard parts, just fiddling with software, possibly minor suspension changes( as in settings) and small changes? Where do I say parts need to be replaced? I didn’t. I used the word tweak numerous times talking about this subject in several threads.

The definition of the word tweak:
improve (a mechanism or system) by making fine adjustments to it.
"engineers tweak the car's operating systems during the race"
synonyms:
adjust · make adjustments to · modify · alter · make
I know people in the in the new car manufacturing business and have a close family member who’s the manager of a car building plant out west. Don’t presume to assume, I understand how it’s done. It happens all the time. Those preproduction cars you mentioned, guess what, they’ll all get the same ‘tweaks’ any other car will get.

Running changes often happen even before a cars are sold. That's the nature of the beast, often times company’s catch something they can easily do to improve a car and it’s a hell of a lot easier, ie cheaper to do it before it leaves the plant then bring it back under recall or before the magazines shred a car for faults once they get ahold of them and sales suffer. It’s common sense.

You believe what you want but don’t try to sell me on what you’re selling, I know better.

Last edited by N54Yankee; 11-06-2019 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0