Availability - Fall 2021

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

This is the first EV that interests me in the slightest. I'm going to predict this crushes the Cybertruck.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 01-30-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Jebus
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
11,500 ft/tq

that's at the wheel? I guess they can gear the electric motor to sacrifice some top end any way
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
This is the first EV that interests me in the slightest. I'm going to predict this crushes the Cybertruck.
GM hasn't exactly done well with EVs. I'd bet the Lincoln based on the Rivian is much better.
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50
clee1982796.00
      01-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
11,500 ft/tq

that's at the wheel? I guess they can gear the electric motor to sacrifice some top end any way
The stupid Fiskers were rated this way too. We'll find out what actual motor torque is later, but I'm sure it's more like 1100lb/ft.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
GM hasn't exactly done well with EVs. I'd bet the Lincoln based on the Rivian is much better.
I don't think anyone has done particularly well with EV's given there 1% market share. Maybe when they start making them that look like a car rather than a kitchen appliance they can sell some of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think anyone has done particularly well with EV's given there 1% market share. Maybe when they start making them that look like a car rather than a kitchen appliance they can sell some of them.
Tesla went from minor player to outselling the Germans combined. The Model 3 ain't pretty, but it certainly sells. The Model Y, if they can meet demand will just clobber the Germans further.

This is all playing out like the early 90's when German car fans and the manufacturers seemed convinced that the Japanese could never take their market. Seems like they're just recovering from that mistake, only to make it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Tesla went from minor player to outselling the Germans combined. The Model 3 ain't pretty, but it certainly sells. The Model Y, if they can meet demand will just clobber the Germans further.
I don't care, my point is that this is the first EV that I (me) has any interest in. I think if automakers want to actually sell them then they need to make them so they appeal to people who are going to buy a new car. The fact is that folks are still buying traditional ICE cars at a rate of 9 to 1 over EV's.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't care, my point is that this is the first EV that I (me) has any interest in. I think if automakers want to actually sell them then they need to make them so they appeal to people who are going to buy a new car. The fact is that folks are still buying traditional ICE cars at a rate of 9 to 1 over EV's.
Only in aggregate. When you compare the Model 3 to its ICE competitors, it's killing them. Sure, more people still buy Minivans, pickups, little shitboxes and actual sports cars, which don't have an EV available. But in the market where the one mass produced EV exists, it's disrupting things.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And how do you know you want it? Have you seen more than the grill? Is it a full size pickup? A midsize? An SUV? Does it have a long range? Will it actually be made? Will there be a normal GMC version for $20k less?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Only in aggregate. When you compare the Model 3 to its ICE competitors, it's killing them. Sure, more people still buy Minivans, pickups, little shitboxes and actual sports cars, which don't have an EV available. But in the market where the one mass produced EV exists, it's disrupting things.
I wouldn't call 1% marketshare a "disruption". My point is simply this, I now folks are going to buy Tesla's, as much because it's like having having the latest iPhone or whatever tech you want to use as a comparator.

Most people want a vehicle that feels familiar to them, and none of the current EV's do, they all seem like something out of a 90's sci-fi movie. And to get back to my point of view, the Hummer if it's anything like a real Hummer is the only EV that's going to market that appeals to me so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't call 1% marketshare a "disruption". My point is simply this, I now folks are going to buy Tesla's, as much because it's like having having the latest iPhone or whatever tech you want to use as a comparator.

Most people want a vehicle that feels familiar to them, and none of the current EV's do, they all seem like something out of a 90's sci-fi movie. And to get back to my point of view, the Hummer if it's anything like a real Hummer is the only EV that's going to market that appeals to me so far.
Okay, I'll wait for Coronavirus to infect 1% of the populace before I panic. And it was 2.1% worldwide in 2018, likely closer to 5% in 2019 and certainly higher going forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Okay, I'll wait for Coronavirus to infect 1% of the populace before I panic. And it was 2.1% worldwide in 2018, likely closer to 5% in 2019 and certainly higher going forward.
So, I don't want a debate about Tesla or EV's being the second coming. I said, that the Hummer is the first EV that actually might appeal to me and maybe the mainstream.....you should be happy about that....

As far as your numbers go, I suspect they are skewed by places like California, NY, China (who charges their EV's by burning coal) San Fran etc. And frankly, I think you might be on the high side, but still with the uptake vs life expectancy, turn over and then infrastructure and tax challenges the change is coming but it's going to take a few decades.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So, I don't want a debate about Tesla or EV's being the second coming. I said, that the Hummer is the first EV that actually might appeal to me and maybe the mainstream.....you should be happy about that....

As far as your numbers go, I suspect they are skewed by places like California, NY, China (who charges their EV's by burning coal) San Fran etc. And frankly, I think you might be on the high side, but still with the uptake vs life expectancy, turn over and then infrastructure and tax challenges the change is coming but it's going to take a few decades.
I actually hate EVs. But no more than the ton of anodyne, half liter per cylinder, ZF8 cars and SUVs we're stuck with anyway.

Consumers like lazy torque. And EVs provide more of it, more immediately than any ICE car. Now that Tesla is at 370 miles of range, and promising 400 soon, there are fewer people that can't replace one or both cars with them.

I'm sure it's because of emissions, but I find it frustrating that only Porsche is making a push back towards n/a and manuals. I like to work for my performance, even if it means soccer moms dust me at most lights.

I'll just be over here dreaming of a manual A110.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
clee1982796.00
      01-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #16
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ev instant torque is huge sale to most people if you ask me
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #17
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I actually hate EVs. But no more than the ton of anodyne, half liter per cylinder, ZF8 cars and SUVs we're stuck with anyway.

Consumers like lazy torque. And EVs provide more of it, more immediately than any ICE car. Now that Tesla is at 370 miles of range, and promising 400 soon, there are fewer people that can't replace one or both cars with them.

I'm sure it's because of emissions, but I find it frustrating that only Porsche is making a push back towards n/a and manuals. I like to work for my performance, even if it means soccer moms dust me at most lights.
So I'm an old guy, and old school on my cars....my current and likely last toy is a 993. I drive stick, and love it. I don't care that a soccer mom can beat me in a straight line with her minivan.....well, maybe just a bit. But my car has a soul, I want to hear the engine, row the gears and enjoy the smells. I won't be an EV Hummer, or any other EV for that matter but the Hummer at least the notion of it feels more like something I might consider.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      01-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #18
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And to a lot people car is just transport, CarPlay integration might be more important... or in the case Tesla just do it 100% in house...
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #19
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
And to a lot people car is just transport, CarPlay integration might be more important... or in the case Tesla just do it 100% in house...
I put a CD player in my 993, mind you it's out of a 996 so really hi tech. It doesn't matter because you can barely here it over the phister exhaust and flat six.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which pisses me off. I want Waze and Spotify. Can't have either in a Tesla. But my turn signals can fart.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I put a CD player in my 993
Heathen! Is it at least the retro Becker?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #22
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Heathen! Is it at least the retro Becker?
' It actually has bluetooth, damn thing was expensive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00