BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Car parked for a month

Hi guys, I am going for a one month vacation soon. Can I just park the car in the garage? I hope when I come back the car can start and not have a dead battery.

Moreover, does G05 has a standby/sleep mode? MB has this mode. Also, is it possible to start the car using remote engine start once a week using bmw connected drive APP? Every time you do the remote start the car should be able to run for 15 min and then automatically shutdown.

Thanks a lot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I just checked the manual. It basically indicates that long-term storage would be anything more than 3 months. It also mentions that further info is available at the dealership. I would give them a call, but don't think you have much to worry about, especially if it's garage kept. I doubt you'll need a trickle charge or anything.

quick edit: I would avoid doing a remote start, especially in the garage (whether you are home or not). If your luck is anything like mine, that will be the time something happens and it starts a fire.

Last edited by randybobandy; 02-06-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I just checked the manual. It basically indicates that long-term storage would be anything more than 3 months. It also mentions that further info is available at the dealership. I would give them a call, but don't think you have much to worry about, especially if it's garage kept. I doubt you'll need a trickle charge or anything.

quick edit: I would avoid doing a remote start, especially in the garage (whether you are home or not). If your luck is anything like mine, that will be the time something happens and it starts a fire.
Thanks. I would like to avoid remote engine start if possible. But will the battery dies after parking for one month? Can't even start the engine if battery dies.:
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I would give the dealership a call. They might recommend a trickle charger? The only thing I could think of, if you had someone you HIGHLY trusted, let them back it out of the garage and run for a bit. I once let a car (Ford) sit for 65-days while at a school with no issue. She turned on with no issue. Doubt you need to worry about dry rot!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

It certainly should be fine.

However, I left my X6 M50 sit for 5 days and when I came back the date/time had to be reset and all of my trip/personal odometer's cleared. No error message (like low battery or high drain or anything) and she started right up. Brought it in but they didn't find any reason for it. Coincidentally the car stopped communicating with the ConnectedApp right after this. Updated FW, rebooted iDrive, and all has been well, but I've not let her sit for more than a couple of days since then.

I have a 2 week vacation coming this summer and am wondering if I shouldn't get a trickle charger to avoid the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Hi guys, I am going for a one month vacation soon. Can I just park the car in the garage? I hope when I come back the car can start and not have a dead battery.

Moreover, does G05 has a standby/sleep mode? MB has this mode. Also, is it possible to start the car using remote engine start once a week using bmw connected drive APP? Every time you do the remote start the car should be able to run for 15 min and then automatically shutdown.

Thanks a lot.
Put it on a battery charger/tender. You can buy the one BMW sells or an equiv from CTEK. The cost is a mere pittance compared to the inconvenience of having issues and making service apps.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:

Thanks a lot.
Put it on a battery charger/tender. You can buy the one BMW sells or an equiv from CTEK. The cost is a mere pittance compared to the inconvenience of having issues and making service apps.
But I live in an apartment building, there is no place to plug in the battery charger in the building's garage? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

If you have issues after 2 weeks the dealer needs to replace the battery. Same with 1 months, the battery should have no problem with that on a new car. If the battery is 7 years old, it is a bigger gamble.......
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
If you have issues after 2 weeks the dealer needs to replace the battery. Same with 1 months, the battery should have no problem with that on a new car. If the battery is 7 years old, it is a bigger gamble.......
A battery tender not only safeguards against the unexpected but it maintains the battery for longevity. I've had BMW batteries last 14yrs this way and never even once had a non start issue or low voltage/battery warnings pop up.

For the OP who lives in an apt building, I've seen a number of extension cords leading into peoples cars in underground parking garages, there must be an outlet there somewhere...ceiling, support post, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Routinely, my G05 will sit for weeks and months at a time while I drive a different vehicle. After a year old, it starts right up every time and no pop ups or messages. I can't be bothered hooking up a trickle charger.

I wouldn't worry about an month at all. And if it doesn't start, I'd just call BMW assist.
      02-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Just came back from a month long trip. Car was parked in garage. It's very cold but no snow where I live. Came back to life on first attempt. No dead battery!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Same here as others have reported. I often leave my G05 undriven for periods of time, 3 weeks probably being the longest. No issues.

I would not remote start as I would assume it takes a fair amount of juice to start the engine that would need to be replenished. Just leave it and it'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #13
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I would put it on a battery maintainer.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #14
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Routinely, my G05 will sit for weeks and months at a time while I drive a different vehicle. After a year old, it starts right up every time and no pop ups or messages. I can't be bothered hooking up a trickle charger.

I wouldn't worry about an month at all. And if it doesn't start, I'd just call BMW assist.
Good to hear. Do you just leave everything normal while the car left parked? Or you disable comfort access, connected data, etc to save battery from draining quickly
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
Just came back from a month long trip. Car was parked in garage. It's very cold but no snow where I live. Came back to life on first attempt. No dead battery!
Thanks, did you just left the car normal with all the connected services on? And is there any pop ups when you come back and start the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #16
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Same here as others have reported. I often leave my G05 undriven for periods of time, 3 weeks probably being the longest. No issues.

I would not remote start as I would assume it takes a fair amount of juice to start the engine that would need to be replenished. Just leave it and it'll be fine.
Thanks. Sure I wouldn't want to remote start unless necessary. First it takes some power to start and also I don't fully trust the car to shutdown automatically. Can't imagine If after remote start the engine just keep running
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #17
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport

Garage List
I just got back from a three week vacation and she fired right up, no issues. If you are extremely worried you can use a trickle charger, but I think you will be fine without it IMO
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #18
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBX23 View Post
I just got back from a three week vacation and she fired right up, no issues. If you are extremely worried you can use a trickle charger, but I think you will be fine without it IMO
Thanks. Ideally I want to just leave it parked without doing anything for 1 month
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #19
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Ideally I want to just leave it parked without doing anything for 1 month
I think you will be perfectly fine. Like previous posts have mentioned, it’s not like it’s a 10 year old car. Good luck and enjoy your trip
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #20
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Thanks. Sure I wouldn't want to remote start unless necessary. First it takes some power to start and also I don't fully trust the car to shutdown automatically. Can't imagine If after remote start the engine just keep running
Just wondering will there be network coverage for a remote start in apt parking? I am also living in an apt and parking is in basement without any network coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #21
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

Good to hear. Do you just leave everything normal while the car left parked? Or you disable comfort access, connected data, etc to save battery from draining quickly
Yes, it locks itself and I just walk away like normal.
      02-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #22
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
Quote:
Just wondering will there be network coverage for a remote start in apt parking? I am also living in an apt and parking is in basement without any network coverage.
My building has a separate parking garage attached, not underground so it has internet connection. Guess you can't do remote start without internet.
Appreciate 0