02-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #23
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
After almost three months of phone calls, emails, photos and visits to my local dealership to sit with the Service Manager uninstalling/reinstalling, testing, and trying other steps with the Digital Key; the issue was finally resolved in a twenty minute phone call between the ConnectedDrive team in NJ and BMW team members in Munich running a script over the air to clean up my phone.

Today I was finally able to reinstall a digital key that I paid $20 for back in November. On the same Samsung S10+ that held my 2019 key.

BMW will be making changes to ConnectedDrive app in in a future build that should help users avoid the mess that I've been dealing with for the past 90 days and not require an uninstall when renewing the digital key!

Hopefully they won't introduce any new bugs and it will resolve the similar issue(s) that other users have described here!
Did you get $5 back or did they extend your subscription; or just say tough luck and you lost the 4 months of use??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Did you get $5 back or did they extend your subscription; or just say tough luck and you lost the 4 months of use??
And I say, "Hey, BMW, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And BMW says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

That plus a 12MO extension of next year's digital key...if it happens..which is nice.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #25
Jackcz
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

I am going through the same problem. My dealer can’t make it work. Not that he does not know what to do, but the system is not responding properly. My subscription status in BMW Connect is renewed, but the App still shows it expired.
Could you possibly share the dealership name in NJ, that managed to resolve this problem. I’m in Queens.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #26
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcz View Post
I am going through the same problem. My dealer can’t make it work. Not that he does not know what to do, but the system is not responding properly. My subscription status in BMW Connect is renewed, but the App still shows it expired.
Could you possibly share the dealership name in NJ, that managed to resolve this problem. I’m in Queens.
Sorry to hear you're having this issue, I'm located in suburban Chicago. I'd ask your local dealership to start a case and they should be able to get it elevated with the ConnectedDrive support team to help you get it fixed. The ConnectedDrive team member I spoke with is based in NJ and they support dealerships around the country.

I'll check in with my service manager to see if there is any relevant case or process data that might helpful. The ConnectedDrive team member I spoke with noted that BMW is aware of the key renewal issue and is working to implement a fix in future release (timing unknown).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #27
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
And I say, "Hey, BMW, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And BMW says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

That plus a 12MO extension of next year's digital key...if it happens..which is nice.

Something tells me “You ain’t gettin no Coke”.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #28
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

Quote:
Agreed, I've followed the advice of the App and Factory Data reset my phone this past weekend, no luck! I've been working with my local service manager, BMW US support and they are now working with technicians in Germany to allow me to reinstall my new 2020 digital key on the same phone as my 2019 key.

Evidently I failed to follow the correct procedure for maintaining control of the 2019 key. When either moving to a new digital key subscription (2019 to 2020) or transferring the phone based digital key between devices or even going through a Factory Data Reset on your same phone, best practice is to:
  1. First remove the Digital Key from within the ConnectedDrive phone based app (they really ought to make this procedure clear in both the App and iDrive)
  2. Then remove the keys emergency access from within the iDrive interface from within the car

Otherwise as I have unfortunately found is that removing it from within the car iDrive interface first seems to lock out that phone from being eligible to accept the new 2020 digital key and I get the dreaded"No Digital Key Usage possible" message within the app.

I've been able to install my new 2020 key on a new phone (not my phone - borrowed one for proof of concept purposes.) I returned the digital key on the borrowed phone hoping that it would trigger a properly returned key sequence; but no luck.

So it seems the BMW Digital key server marks iDrive removed phone keys as ineligible devices for a new key installations, even persisting after Factory Data resets, what a pain!

My digital key is set to expire next month and I was about to renew it until I read this post. I don't want to do it and then run into all of these problems. Just so I'm clear.

1. I have the same Samsung that my 2019 key is on.
2. First remove digital key from Connected App.
3. Remove digital key from car.
4. Renew 2020 digital key online.
5. Then reload it on my phone? I'm not clear on this next step since I did it at the dealer originally and they had to take some steps on their computer.

Are the steps accurate and are they confirmed to work? I was going to originally update my subscription online and then assumed it was going to update automatically. Guess I'm wrong.

Another question, I read we could share a digital key with 5 members. I called BMW and they said you do that online. However, in my BMW portal there is not such option. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #29
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espejo View Post
My digital key is set to expire next month and I was about to renew it until I read this post. I don't want to do it and then run into all of these problems. Just so I'm clear.

1. I have the same Samsung that my 2019 key is on.
2. First remove digital key from Connected App.
3. Remove digital key from car.
4. Renew 2020 digital key online.
5. Then reload it on my phone? I'm not clear on this next step since I did it at the dealer originally and they had to take some steps on their computer.

Are the steps accurate and are they confirmed to work? I was going to originally update my subscription online and then assumed it was going to update automatically. Guess I'm wrong.

Another question, I read we could share a digital key with 5 members. I called BMW and they said you do that online. However, in my BMW portal there is not such option. Any suggestions?
When the ConnectedDrive Support Technician was helping me, he said that future renewals should not require de-installation of the existing key. Upon completing a renewal from within the ConnectedDrive portal you should see the expiration date automatically extend for the next year from within the app. Hopefully they have fixed this because that's where things could get muddy.

If I were doing this again I'd complete the renewal online and see if the date does in fact extend the key expiration date within the app. (Make sure you update apps and services within the car too, after renewing online). So start with step 4 as you've outlined above.

If that fails to update the key expiration date within the app, then yes the order of the steps you've outlined above 2-3, would be what I would attempt next, what I'd be concerned about is step 5, would it know to install the newest key? So I might wait until the a couple last two days of active key then, do 2-3 before expiration. Then day after expiration install the new key.

It's ridiculous if that's how it works, but after going through three months of BS to get it to work again nothing would surprise me. If all these steps fail; work with you local dealer's service dept to get a case opened with the ConnectedDrive services team. Hope your experience is much better than mine.

On your other question about getting five more keys, you're right I'm not seeing how you order those from within the ConnectDrive portal either...they ought to make this easier!

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 03-05-2020 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: error typo
Appreciate 0