BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What type of installation would you want?
I'm good with powering through USB 7 31.82%
Hardwire 12v into fuse 12 54.55%
Mirror tap type power 6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

06-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #111
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 (G05) 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socosurf View Post
Love the concept here but it's a lot of work just to put a "more hidden" light to trick the sensor. I've been dealing with this issue since I had tint and I almost don't even notice it anymore.
A lot of work? How so? Honestly asking, it's a very simple install with really only one tool required.

The difference is night and day with or without the BimmerLight in there. I'm not saying anyone has to buy one, just the solution is there if people want it. For me my display was unreadable during the day with sunglasses on and I have 15% tint. As people have reported there is a wide variance in the tint and obviously where in the world you are located as well. I also pretty much exclusively drive with the sunshade closed as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #112
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

5 boards have been shipped out to customers to verify functionality. I'll wait for some feedback from them and see if i need to make any changes to the code or anything else. I swapped out the unit in my car as well to make sure I was running the same thing as everyone else, I was running the same code, but had a different (older) board.

In the meantime, i'll work on getting some of the rest built and some stock built-up hopefully so I can release units to the masses.

My printer is acting up again, so i'm down at the moment on making more cases and mounts. If any of you 3d print, PETG sucks, great for heat resistance and what you pretty much need to survive in a car, but so many issues getting things to print properly. For some reason my print bed has stopped holding prints again, and everything i've tried isn't working, so i'm waiting on a new bed to show up.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #113
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi all,

I've been a bit quiet. We had our baby girl last week, so been pretty occupied with that as any of you that have children will know.

i do have 5 units out in the hands of some testers, so just waiting on feedback from them to see if i need to make any changes etc. Then i just need to find some time to build up some stock.

I've been making parts to build up supply while i wait.

Thanks for your patience!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #114
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations, hope everyone is healthy and able to get some sleep.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #115
cvondra
Registered
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X6 M50i, 21 Toy Supra

Interested in one when available again.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #116
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondra View Post
Interested in one when available again.
Be sure to sign up on the website as I’ll email out there first when units are available.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #117
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Wow..I'm 'reading' maybe 1/3 of everyone's posts...and have come to the conclusion that I'm an idiot. Should have paid more attention in school/not cheated on freshman calc (still only getting a B-). Amazing stuff Chris.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 09:17 AM   #118
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Wow..I'm 'reading' maybe 1/3 of everyone's posts...and have come to the conclusion that I'm an idiot. Should have paid more attention in school/not cheated on freshman calc (still only getting a B-). Amazing stuff Chris.
Lol, thanks

Been busy with the baby and we finally are closing on our new house next week. So after that is sorted I will sit down and start building units. I have enough parts to make 20 units.

I haven’t heard much from the testers so I’m assuming most are just plain happy with how everything is working. I feel like once you have it installed you pretty much forget about it and the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #119
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnack View Post
Lol, thanks

Been busy with the baby and we finally are closing on our new house next week. So after that is sorted I will sit down and start building units. I have enough parts to make 20 units.

I haven’t heard much from the testers so I’m assuming most are just plain happy with how everything is working. I feel like once you have it installed you pretty much forget about it and the issue.
Wow...make me feel really stupid...having a new kid, a new house, and still you do this???? Well...hopefully BMW will come and buy it from you...if they do - screw them and name a high price!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #120
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Lol, thanks

@chrisnack I've been doing this stuff for over 20 years. You need an assembler that could put things together so you don't have to. I've had a very good one for a long time now.
      08-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #121
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
@chrisnack I've been doing this stuff for over 20 years. You need an assembler that could put things together so you don't have to. I've had a very good one for a long time now.
That would be great

I will probably look at having some of this stuff done if there is enough demand, for the time being I still need to sell quite a few to make back what I spent creating everything.

Even if I don’t, it was worth it to fix it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:06 PM   #122
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
That would be great

I will probably look at having some of this stuff done if there is enough demand, for the time being I still need to sell quite a few to make back what I spent creating everything.

Even if I don’t, it was worth it to fix it for me.
Yeah, all my projects were things I wanted to do for my car and I ended up selling them. I never had to sell that many to break even. I just used off the shelf enclosures and made PCBs very cheaply in China
      08-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #123
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

I can certainly attest to the device, having installed a test unit a few weeks ago. It is awesome, and quite easy to install if you follow the instructions.

It makes a world of difference. You can tell how much difference it makes just when starting the vehicle up in the morning. It takes approx 10 seconds to kick on, and just seeing that difference in brightness is, well......illuminating

Trust me, it's worth the wait.
Appreciate 1
chrisnack152.00
      11-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #124
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey everybody. Just wanted to drop a quick note as I've gotten a few emails.

I do have parts to make about 20 units, I just need to find the time. Hoping to sit down in the next couple weeks and make up a few units.

Anyone with a baby will understand, the time just vanishes!

Thanks for your patience.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:17 PM   #125
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M50i

Hate to take away from this thread, but given that these bimmerlights are hard to come by anyways, there seems to finally have been a fix found for this issue using Bimmercode.

See post in this thread by imdiekeb.

Here are his instructions which also worked for me:

Using BimmerCode, I made the following code changes with very acceptable results:

Headunit - 3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN - DIM_CURVE_X2 – change values to 0x00, 0x00 (from 0x1F, 0xC0)

Instrument cluster - 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration – DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE – change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster - 3005 FuBi_Parameter – DIM_DTN – change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

After programming the codes above, go to Car/Settings/Displays/Control display and change the “Brightness at night” to it’s lowest value. Then use the standard I.P. scroll wheel to set a comfortable light level in darkness.
Appreciate 4
seoul32.00
ladra17.50
hufington3117.00
Tch-Nrd118.50
      02-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #126
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrr View Post
Hate to take away from this thread, but given that these bimmerlights are hard to come by anyways, there seems to finally have been a fix found for this issue using Bimmercode.

Using BimmerCode, I made the following code changes with very acceptable results:

Headunit - 3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN - DIM_CURVE_X2 – change values to 0x00, 0x00 (from 0x1F, 0xC0)

Instrument cluster - 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration – DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE – change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster - 3005 FuBi_Parameter – DIM_DTN – change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

After programming the codes above, go to Car/Settings/Displays/Control display and change the “Brightness at night” to it’s lowest value. Then use the standard I.P. scroll wheel to set a comfortable light level in darkness.
Yeah that’s on me for not having much time.

To make sure there isn’t misinformation can you explain more what effect the BimmerCode changes are doing? Is it disabling the auto dim? As that’s the core issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #127
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Please confirm what model you have as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #128
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that’s on me for not having much time.

To make sure there isn’t misinformation can you explain more what effect the BimmerCode changes are doing? Is it disabling the auto dim? As that’s the core issue.
Quote:
Please confirm what model you have as well.
No worries, hard to find time for all of us these days for side projects like this.

Honestly it's not my fix, I can't explain what the settings mean, I didn't take time to translate the german.

If you follow the original thread that I linked it'll show his original post as well as at least 2 of us that have independently tried and verified that it works.

On my end, from testing, this is what I've noticed:

1) Night time: no change in function, you can still dim using the wheel and you have full range from super dim to really bright, so unchanged on that side

2) Day time: even if I cover the sensor with something, it doesn't dim anymore, so seems day time dimming is disabled.... the only thing I noticed is if I put my iPhone flashlight directly onto the sensor, it does brighten up a tiny tiny bit, hardly noticeable, compared to before it would go from barely readable to full brightness, so it seems to be slightly less than full brightness, but a 98% improvement over what it was before... I posted a pic in the original thread of my vehicle with the sensor covered up for about 5 mins showing the brightness

I have a 21 X6 M50i

I was skeptical at first too given that no one figured this one out for years it seems, but after testing myself and seeing someone else confirm the same, it definitely seems this is a legit fix.
Appreciate 3
seoul32.00
ladra17.50
mobilejo1105.50
      02-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #129
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like it’s behaving like the older cars before the digital dash. Which is awesome!

The dimmer wheel wasn’t doing anything on the new screens but maybes that’s changed with a istep update or something because I know I investigated that particular setting in the past.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #130
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like it’s behaving like the older cars before the digital dash. Which is awesome!

The dimmer wheel wasn’t doing anything on the new screens but maybes that’s changed with a istep update or something because I know I investigated that particular setting in the past.
Just to clarify, the dimmer wheel still does nothing during daytime, but the screen no longer auto dims anymore so you get almost full brightness regardless of lighting conditions during daytime, and at night you still retain the ability to use the wheel to adjust dimming
Appreciate 5
seoul32.00
ladra17.50
mobilejo1105.50
gnolivos306.00
chrisnack152.00
      05-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #131
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrr View Post

This worked for me on my 22 m50i. Thanks.
Appreciate 0