BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

OBDlink CX ( Made for Bimmercode)

Will this do all the same coding functions as the more expensive OBDLink MX ?

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-cx/
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Since it's new, it won't be widely tested by users, but considering the explicit commitment that it's made for Bimmercode and the historically accurate assertions on the following page, it should work great.

https://bimmercode.app/adapters/
      11-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Be careful...not all that work with say ANdroid work on iOS, and vice versa...no idea on that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #4
KrisZaba
F34
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post

I’m not sure what the other one offered but I got the CX and was able to code everything I wanted. It also has its own app with live monitoring of a bunch of stuff. Very pleased with my purchase
Appreciate 3
LexxM31697.50
      01-31-2021, 04:03 AM   #5
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50d

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisZaba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post

I’m not sure what the other one offered but I got the CX and was able to code everything I wanted. It also has its own app with live monitoring of a bunch of stuff. Very pleased with my purchase
Nice I also just ordered one of these, are all the modules available or are some of them grey?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50d

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Answered my own question, the OBD CX came today all modules are codeable. Works great!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4635.50
      06-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover696969 View Post
Is this still the best option for the 2021 x5 (g05)and bimmercode?
the OBDLink CX was the first adapter i purchased and used since it was made for BimmerCode. i just purchased and tried the MHD Tuning wifi adapter, and it's so much faster than the CX, so i'll likely be using the MHD from now on.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover696969 View Post
Is this still the best option for the 2021 x5 (g05)and bimmercode?
i just purchased and tried the MHD Tuning wifi adapter, and it's so much faster than the CX, so i'll likely be using the MHD from now on.
… until it fails and will have to be opened to reseat a board or returned due a permanent software corruption (cannot be reset to factory).

I used to recommend the MHD Black adapter for a while and it is fast when it works, but it has been both hardware and software unreliable on two units, triggers alarm if left plugged in, and MHD customer support is incompetent at best — so as much as I enjoy the speed, I don't recommend MHD Black any longer.

Hoping someone will finally come up with a reliable and fast wifi adapter and it should really not be that hard, as it is simply a WiFi to Ethernet bridge, much simpler software-wise than the Bluetooth adapters (Ethernet is on separate pins on modern BMW OBDII connector).
      06-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
… until it fails and will have to be opened to reseat a board or returned due a permanent software corruption (cannot be reset to factory).

I used to recommend the MHD Black adapter for a while and it is fast when it works, but it has been both hardware and software unreliable on two units, triggers alarm if left plugged in, and MHD customer support is incompetent at best — so as much as I enjoy the speed, I don't recommend MHD Black any longer.

Hoping someone will finally come up with a reliable and fast wifi adapter and it should really not be that hard, as it is simply a WiFi to Ethernet bridge, much simpler software-wise than the Bluetooth adapters (Ethernet is on separate pins on modern BMW OBDII connector).
ugh, i didn't know. thanks for the warning! the speed increase isn't worth possible corruption...

i never leave the adapter plugged in when not in use. prior to connecting to the MHD adapter and BimmerCode, i turn off all vehicle accessories and modules, disable "auto join" on my home wifi network, disable CarPlay prior to completely disabling bluetooth, and enable airplane mode. other than unreliable software/hardware, do you recall specific coding practices or steps that could prevent such corruption using the MHD adapter?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

ugh, i didn't know. thanks for the warning! the speed increase isn't worth possible corruption...

i never leave the adapter plugged in when not in use. prior to connecting to the MDH adapter and BimmerCode, i turn off all vehicle accessories and modules, disable "auto join" on my home wifi network, disable CarPlay prior to completely disabling bluetooth, and enable airplane mode. other than unreliable software/hardware, do you recall specific coding practices or steps that could prevent such corruption using the MHD adapter?
As much as I now dislike MHD, to be clear, I have never (to date) had any corruption of CAR SOFTWARE by MHD (or any other) adapter. The corruption I was referring to is the flash-stored configuration settings (wifi password, etc) in the MHD unit itself.

Your steps are as cautious as necessary and nothing more should be needed.

I would prefer to leave the OBDII adapter plugged in as it allows easy BimmerLink and other OBD apps live operations. That is possible with most of the supported Bluetooth adapters, but not with the MHD Black WiFi adapter because of: a) this excess parasitic current draw resulting in this alarm issue, and b) highly insecure WiFi setup of this adapter (quite unnecessarily and incompetently so). You can use an OBD switch (and I am), but that is somewhat complicated as well due to which wires are or are not connected on such switches and having to remember to manually turn it off before locking the car.
      06-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #11
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

I might be wrong but I suspect the OBDLink MX+ is more expensive because it supports many more protocols that other brands need (ISO-9141, ELM for example) OBDLink CX seems to be specific to BMW and I know BMW uses CANBUS protocol.

I suspect there is no benefit for BMW users to purchase the more expensive MX+ version.
      06-19-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
bkalhor1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pringle View Post
Answered my own question, the OBD CX came today all modules are codeable. Works great!
Hi. I just ordered this adapter for the sole purpose of keeping my flaps open on my M50i. Is this a simple thing to do?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #13
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,
I have been using Bimmercode with MX+ OBD adapter. It works fine, but like all Bluetooth connections, it's slow.

I also have an ENET cable as I used it with my laptop to code my now retired F30. I read a post some time ago about using that cable with my phone. I got an Anker LAN to USB-C adapter (I have Samsung phone) off of Amazon. Gotta say, it works great-- bunches faster!

Be sure to check this post out: Bimmercode Android 11 https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1835310. I had been using the settings provided in Bimmercode

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #14
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkalhor1 View Post
Hi. I just ordered this adapter for the sole purpose of keeping my flaps open on my M50i. Is this a simple thing to do?
I use OBD CX strictly for this single purpose as well (aside from coding when I need to). It works for the exhaust flap using BimmerLink app. But I’ve noticed I have to manually open up my iphone settings every time I start my car and navigate to the bluetooth settings and then click OBD CX in order for it to connect. Have you or anyone else figured out how to make the OBD CX automatically connect to BT when the car is started? Like how the regular bluetooth music functionality works. Its a minor inconvenience but would be nice to have it auto connect.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
FahrenFruede
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

The original vendor, both come from the same original source, seems to claim they do the same things -- seems to, because they don't list specifically what CX will not do that the MX+ does do except the latter has higher speed processor and handles a larger list of proprietary signal protocols (*read) than the CX.

The idea behind the [mandated] buses was conformity of access. Space is left for new ideas, codes, and some makers vary from a standard set so it would be great if scan tool makers were totally clear about all their tools can do, their speeds, longevity, etc. Or they could market a similar tool for ~ twice the price and say it's better, faster, has more characters in the name (3 vs 2.) It may be, may be....

They don't seem to list whether either or both can program (*write) or access all functions/modules/code that can be accessed via the bus. Have been looking at these for a while and that is my (*maybe) 5% clearer understanding. Random clarifications will be gladly accepted.
Appreciate 0