BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #463
Ramakay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CX-7 => X5

Angry

Received the recall letter, this sucks
I still do not see the VIN show any Open recalls here- https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html, is this site reliable or similar to Track my BMW online ?

Last edited by Ramakay; 10-23-2020 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:16 AM   #464
menace33
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Hopefully, we will have some good news next week...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:38 AM   #465
Tom dew
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace33 View Post
Hopefully, we will have some good news next week...
I hope so too!!!
Car in Zeebrugge since 20 sept....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:37 AM   #466
stevieb27
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Good morning all from Belgium,
Another week has passed and I checked with my dealer for an update.

My car is still in the car park at the dealers in Antwerp!
Starting to make me a little nervous.
The uncertainty in how long it will take is the most unsettling.

Also just found out that a friend of mine ordered his 45e in February and collects it now on Tuesday! I understand its 'out of their hands' but it kind of pisses me off that I ordered in December and still have to wait without knowing when I will get my car and he can collect his on Tuesday!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:58 AM   #467
Tom dew
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb27 View Post
Good morning all from Belgium,
Another week has passed and I checked with my dealer for an update.

My car is still in the car park at the dealers in Antwerp!
Starting to make me a little nervous.
The uncertainty in how long it will take is the most unsettling.

Also just found out that a friend of mine ordered his 45e in February and collects it now on Tuesday! I understand its 'out of their hands' but it kind of pisses me off that I ordered in December and still have to wait without knowing when I will get my car and he can collect his on Tuesday!
Its so fustrating!!!
They can't tell us anything. I really hate it, but we can't do anything about it.
Wait wait....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:25 AM   #468
menace33
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dew View Post
Its so fustrating!!!
They can't tell us anything. I really hate it, but we can't do anything about it.
Wait wait....
I can't even imagine how you feel. I was waiting for my car for 195 days. I had some understanding, because of covid-19 closure of the factory in USA. But I am losing my patience now...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #469
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace33 View Post
I can't even imagine how you feel. I was waiting for my car for 195 days. I had some understanding, because of covid-19 closure of the factory in USA. But I am losing my patience now...
317 days and counting... hopefully we’ll get some extra info by end of week. Still no news on my side. Car is back in Zeebrugge for 3 weeks now.

Coming back on my compensation question: Any of you in EU negotiated something for the issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:10 AM   #470
KLCR
Belgium
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 45e

Hi, new to the forum as member but I have been reading these post for some time.
I ordered a new X5 45e in februari 2020. The car is ready at the dealer and will be delivered end this week. The dealer assured me the car is not affected by the battery problems. Seems I will be one of the lucky ones.
The information however came very late, dealer informed me end of last week.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #471
Tommy11220
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCR View Post
Hi, new to the forum as member but I have been reading these post for some time.
I ordered a new X5 45e in februari 2020. The car is ready at the dealer and will be delivered end this week. The dealer assured me the car is not affected by the battery problems. Seems I will be one of the lucky ones.
The information however came very late, dealer informed me end of last week.
What is the build date of your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #472
KLCR
Belgium
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 45e

The car was built beginning of September, I made the last changes to the configuration on august 14th.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #473
Tommy11220
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCR View Post
The car was built beginning of September, I made the last changes to the configuration on august 14th.
Ok, that makes sense. Apparently cars built in September or later are no longer affected by the faulty battery cells. You were lucky though, as I've placed my order in February as well with scheduled delivery in October, but with a July 20 build date, my car is now sitting at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #474
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy11220 View Post
Ok, that makes sense. Apparently cars built in September or later are no longer affected by the faulty battery cells. You were lucky though, as I've placed my order in February as well with scheduled delivery in October, but with a July 20 build date, my car is now sitting at the dealer.
For 45e. last affected date is Sept 16th but not all 45e’s are affected. Only the ones with Samsung batteries as I far as I understand.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #475
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

I am truly lost for words how bad BMW got to, this can only be described as arrogance, with a good degree of crap quality, let face it they talking of 14000 cars effected, not a small number of so called quality premium cars, the lack of informing us on cars that cost us north of 90k is simply turning into the worst consumer experience we ever had, to add to the BMW quality premium service, the dealer is talking of a change on the trading value of our exiting 40e, and to make things even more enjoyable for us, the budget for 2021 changed the way tax is applied to cars, we have no clue if we be hit by more expensive tax tag if this crap X5 is delivered in the new year. I honestly believe the forecast for a corona vaccine is proving to be more reliable than buying a 90k car from BMW.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #476
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
welcome to bnw (batteries not working)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #477
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
I am truly lost for words how bad BMW got to, this can only be described as arrogance, with a good degree of crap quality, let face it they talking of 14000 cars effected, not a small number of so called quality premium cars, the lack of informing us on cars that cost us north of 90k is simply turning into the worst consumer experience we ever had, to add to the BMW quality premium service, the dealer is talking of a change on the trading value of our exiting 40e, and to make things even more enjoyable for us, the budget for 2021 changed the way tax is applied to cars, we have no clue if we be hit by more expensive tax tag if this crap X5 is delivered in the new year. I honestly believe the forecast for a corona vaccine is proving to be more reliable than buying a 90k car from BMW.
Well, Ford has a very similar recall for their hybrids (do not charge etc) and Hyundai is recalling over 30000 EV's and there are others.. It's not a perfect world, these things seem to happen.. unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #478
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

True, recalls and mistakes happen, what worries me is the fact our car was due delivery a month ago after all the lockdown delays, and the only news I am getting is from this forum, not one single e-mail from BMW on the matter, simply amazing! worth reminding you, a Ford or a Hyundai will probably cost you half what we paying for this so called this premium brand.
I know BMW is simply not what it use to be, the fact they now package options, a signs of how volume rules over quality of service, but the not getting even one message to tell us our 95k car is to be delayed again is simply beyond me. I am more informed Amazon orders for god sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Well, Ford has a very similar recall for their hybrids (do not charge etc) and Hyundai is recalling over 30000 EV's and there are others.. It's not a perfect world, these things seem to happen.. unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #479
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It appears that their battery supplier was only able to identify which batch(s?) of batteries MIGHT have the problem. It appears that dropping the battery pack and just arbitrarily changing it with a known good one is a lot of work, and may be totally unnecessary, at least from a functional viewpoint. So, they're trying to come up with a reliable test procedure to pinpoint any that do need to be replaced to become safe and up to specs. Annoying on both sides of that coin.

From what I've read, IF there's a problem, it may not show up for a bunch of recharge cycles, so coming up with a timely test procedure and then executing it then becomes the issue...the test procedure and software needs to be verified, and the actual test seems like it can take awhile to get the battery in the right condition to see if it has any issues and then cycled through that more than once.

Is it a nice situation, obviously, not. Could it have been foreseen, I'm not sure.

The battery issue is not a design thing that had been tested...it was an assembly/production error on the supplier's side. I don't know who discovered the issue...it could have been on either side, then they had to try to figure out which assemblies were affected, and then which vehicles they may be in. And, obviously try to prevent (at least) that error from happening again. It's not uncommon for any manufacturer to sample test unit(s) from a batch, but on these, the problem didn't show up for numerous cycles of charge/discharge. And, since you can't turn regen off in the X5, they wanted to see if it was safe at least in some modes (which affects some who already had taken delivery).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #480
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
It appears that their battery supplier was only able to identify which batch(s?) of batteries MIGHT have the problem. It appears that dropping the battery pack and just arbitrarily changing it with a known good one is a lot of work, and may be totally unnecessary, at least from a functional viewpoint. So, they're trying to come up with a reliable test procedure to pinpoint any that do need to be replaced to become safe and up to specs. Annoying on both sides of that coin.

From what I've read, IF there's a problem, it may not show up for a bunch of recharge cycles, so coming up with a timely test procedure and then executing it then becomes the issue...the test procedure and software needs to be verified, and the actual test seems like it can take awhile to get the battery in the right condition to see if it has any issues and then cycled through that more than once.

Is it a nice situation, obviously, not. Could it have been foreseen, I'm not sure.

The battery issue is not a design thing that had been tested...it was an assembly/production error on the supplier's side. I don't know who discovered the issue...it could have been on either side, then they had to try to figure out which assemblies were affected, and then which vehicles they may be in. And, obviously try to prevent (at least) that error from happening again. It's not uncommon for any manufacturer to sample test unit(s) from a batch, but on these, the problem didn't show up for numerous cycles of charge/discharge. And, since you can't turn regen off in the X5, they wanted to see if it was safe at least in some modes (which affects some who already had taken delivery).
To piggyback on your points above, I work for a large tech hardware company and we provide a key component for the largest tech companies in the world. Recently we had a problematic product (was rushed to the market in order to keep up with the competition) that ended up failing at a higher than acceptable rate when the customers deployed them. Not only we ended up taking thousands of units as returns and fully refunded the customers but we are also paying a rebate on each replacement next gen product we sell. It is killing our margins but we are willing to do anything to regain the customer confidence and rebuild our relationship. I am sure BMW is being compensated by Samsung for the faulty batteries and BMW needs to make sure that its customers are also compensated for the inconvenience. Ample communication also goes a long way and does not cost a penny and clearly the European customers are not being informed quickly and frequently hence all the frustration on this thread...

Last edited by moodyhank82; 10-26-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
njt078.50
      10-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #481
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Ample communication also goes a long way and does not cost a penny and clearly the European customers are not being informed quickly and frequently hence all the frustration on this thread...
Due to the lack of that ample communication on BMW's side we're pulling the plug on a 45e order - just too much risk* for us.

(*For us it only makes financial sense to buy and collect the FTC, however given the 2 battery related recalls already it doesn't bode well for the model as a whole. I'm sure BMW will do things to compensate people *per incident* but the incidents are piling up and should the 45e get a reputation as a lemon line, just not something we're willing to deal with, i.e., luxury should be simple and carefree and 45e isn't for us)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #482
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Got my email from BMW and Chase today for my $1K. Should be deposited sometime in the next couple of days. BMW NA did say, any additional compensation will be dealt with on a case by case basis and how long it takes to resolve it. I vote just replace the battery and let everyone move on.

Seems in the US our laws are a little relaxed, dealers can continue to sell affected units, but not so much in Europe.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #483
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Due to the lack of that ample communication on BMW's side we're pulling the plug on a 45e order - just too much risk* for us.

(*For us it only makes financial sense to buy and collect the FTC, however given the 2 battery related recalls already it doesn't bode well for the model as a whole. I'm sure BMW will do things to compensate people *per incident* but the incidents are piling up and should the 45e get a reputation as a lemon line, just not something we're willing to deal with, i.e., luxury should be simple and carefree and 45e isn't for us)
Agreed on the risk of having more issues than the regular gas model causing inconvenience but the way I see it once I take the federal and state tax credit (plus all the dealer discount and manufacturer incentives), I can trade-in the car and either be ahead or breakeven on net cost so there is very little financial risk in the first couple of years.

On the other hand, there is a very good chance that the battery pack in my car will be built to spec and BMW will improve the hybrid management software over time and the car can deliver on its promise...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:28 AM   #484
stevieb27
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
True, recalls and mistakes happen, what worries me is the fact our car was due delivery a month ago after all the lockdown delays, and the only news I am getting is from this forum, not one single e-mail from BMW on the matter, simply amazing! worth reminding you, a Ford or a Hyundai will probably cost you half what we paying for this so called this premium brand.
I know BMW is simply not what it use to be, the fact they now package options, a signs of how volume rules over quality of service, but the not getting even one message to tell us our 95k car is to be delayed again is simply beyond me. I am more informed Amazon orders for god sake.
To be honest I was thinking the same myself!

Has anyone in Europe received any official communication from BMW or their dealer?

Each time I have asked questions via mail, I receive a phone call back.
Appreciate 0