BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #23
giwuken
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 e45 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Look on the bright side, now the owner can finally get an M50i!

ICE BMWs have been in the news too with catching on fire. Hopefully this will all get sorted out soon without much more property damage or anybody getting hurt.
Too soon... too soon...

My missus is going bonkers... we should get ours delivered first week of Dec... and on the third week we will be on a boat to Helsinki... Not sure how the shipping company will feel about this...

G
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      11-13-2019, 06:12 AM   #24
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by giwuken View Post
Too soon... too soon...

My missus is going bonkers... we should get ours delivered first week of Dec... and on the third week we will be on a boat to Helsinki... Not sure how the shipping company will feel about this...
"Everyone with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 or a BMW X5 45e please report to the captain."

Christmas in Helsinki? I won't be around as it's Berlin for us this year.
Appreciate 3
Beefcake188.00
TSMC55125.00
volodp193.50
      11-13-2019, 06:24 AM   #25
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
"Everyone with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 or a BMW X5 45e please report to the captain."

Christmas in Helsinki? I won't be around as it's Berlin for us this year.
What's the problem, just push it overboard when it catches fire
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #26
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
The recall action was not on the battery but on a earth wire connection somewhere in the front left engine compartment.

That location does match with the pictures of the blaze. True still no hard evidence that the two things are related.
I got a phone call today. That cable would be related to pre-heating function so if you have a x5 45e dont use the preheating (precooling?) until you get it checked
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #27
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
I got a phone call today. That cable would be related to pre-heating function so if you have a x5 45e dont use the preheating (precooling?) until you get it checked
Is preheating standard on the 45e?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #28
giwuken
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 e45 2019

Ei, Xmas in Turku, NY in Lapland at the mökki in Kallojärvi. If the suspicion is on the pre-heater, I'm f*$@&#... it was -29 last week so I'll need it...
perikifi If you order one in Finland, can you order it with the classic 230V motorheater?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #29
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by giwuken View Post
Ei, Xmas in Turku, NY in Lapland at the mökki in Kallojärvi. If the suspicion is on the pre-heater, I'm f*$@&#... it was -29 last week so I'll need it...
perikifi If you order one in Finland, can you order it with the classic 230V motorheater?
All right, definitely some Real Winter waiting for you! Deep snow (for November) in Lapland this year too, 30 to 40 cm in most areas already. Hyvää Joulua!

I have asked for the classic heater option but the dealer said they haven't installed it on any hybrids so I left it at that. Could be done, I suppose, but the X5 will be my first car without it. Can be done later, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #30
awosy
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
so the fire is most likely to be related with this issue? If so, it really s*cks for the owner of the one that burned out because it means BMW was aware of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
kebiN
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Im sad and heavily concerned if i made the right choice with a hybrid....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #32
awosy
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

I'm not, you have to be aware, this is an exceptional case and probably not related to the car being a hybrid.
BMW will for sure investigate this.
Worst case they will have to issue a recall to fix the issue and delay deliveries. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #33
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Good news! You can now order your 45e with two addional free options:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
LexxM31697.50
volodp193.50
      11-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #34
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awosy View Post
I'm not, you have to be aware, this is an exceptional case and probably not related to the car being a hybrid.
Worst case they will have to issue a recall to fix the issue and delay deliveries. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
I’m getting my car checked tomorrow for this issue. The issue isn’t really related to hybrid parts or anything but what is true is that a hybrid keeps on burning once it catches fire and that definitely woke me up. My car is now banned from the garage that is connected to the house... the trust is gone that it would never catch fire.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #35
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Yes it is standard
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:04 AM   #36
grahamcoxon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 3.0D M Sport

Maybe it’s related to Phytonic Blue.

I knew I should have ordered one of the 6 black options!
Appreciate 2
buze131.00
Shane550X127.50
      11-14-2019, 04:44 AM   #37
kebiN
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
I’m getting my car checked tomorrow for this issue. The issue isn’t really related to hybrid parts or anything but what is true is that a hybrid keeps on burning once it catches fire and that definitely woke me up. My car is now banned from the garage that is connected to the house... the trust is gone that it would never catch fire.
It does not make sense from me to buy a hybrid and ban it from the garage as im planning to charge it overnight. Although at this moment i would ban it temporarily and wait for BMW to reassure me there is no risk...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #38
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
I agree to keep your 45e out of the garage until the cause of the fire is determined and you have more assurance this won't be a measurable risk to other cars. That said, large LiOn batteries are a fire risk, certainly the types in production today. That may change with some modern advances rumored to be on the way.

If you don't already have fire detection in your garage, install it. All cars are a fire risk and I wouldn't sleep well unless I had heat, smoke and CO detection and alerting.
      11-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #39
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I agree to keep your 45e out of the garage until the cause of the fire is determined and you have more assurance this won't be a measurable risk to other cars. That said, large LiOn batteries are a fire risk, certainly the types in production today. That may change with some modern advances rumored to be on the way.

If you don't already have fire detection in your garage, install it. All cars are a fire risk and I wouldn't sleep well unless I had heat, smoke and CO detection and alerting.
I have fire detection and other sensors but if it catches fire for whatever reason there no way they can get car out of my house in a safe way. So it stays banned as far as I’m concerned. I will look into options of getting a car port or seperate garage outside. I have plenty of space out back.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #40
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:

I have fire detection and other sensors but if it catches fire for whatever reason there no way they can get car out of my house in a safe way. So it stays banned as far as I’m concerned. I will look into options of getting a car port or seperate garage outside. I have plenty of space out back.
Understood. And I meant fire detection so you and your loved ones can get out of harms way. Unfortunately in a LiOn battery fire, once thermal runaway begins, no commonly available fire suppression system will reliably extinguish the fire.
      11-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #41
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
These batteries will only catch fire in case of:

-intense Charging: not the case here
-high discharge: not the case here either as it was parked
-when there is a short circuit.

For the last point, you can have the short circuit in the battery (very rare unless it got physically damaged) or wherever plus and minus touch. And that's when the fire can start somewhere else than the battery compartment.

From experience, a short circuit of two wires on high powered batteries is like arc welding. Anything near it will burn in a few seconds, or become red hot (metal).
(I once shorted a heavy duty LiPo battery by mistake when repairing the cabling, and had my workbench on fire in a few seconds )

It could also just be a lit sigaret left behind in the car...😉

This said, I ordered my 45e two weeks ago, so I hope they find the cause and solve it (if it needs solving) before my car is delivered in April next year 🤞 (if you order now, delivery is not before July 2020 !!)
Don't forget mechanical damage to the cell(s). That's likely the # 1 reason for cell venting when the charge /discharge cycles are carefully controlled, as these no doubt were.

A buddy of mine asked whether the fire may have been caused by the cheap e-cig the owner left in the vehicle charging (he wasn't suggesting that was done, just that there are other factors to consider beyond vehicle design and manufacture). I realized he had a great point with that comment, as this example as well as owner-installed options such as hard-wired dash cams and radar detectors open up the OWNER to potential liabilities.

If BMW did a stop-ship due to a known issue, then of course that's an entirely different matter. But we just can't "ass-u-me" to use the old adage that some may understand.
      11-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #42
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Understood. And I meant fire detection so you and your loved ones can get out of harms way. Unfortunately in a LiOn battery fire, once thermal runaway begins, no commonly available fire suppression system will reliably extinguish the fire.
Exactly. I see many hybrids being parked outside in a more general sense, just in case. I would like to live for a long time, in good health so it's a risk calculation - chances are probably super low but it's something I can easily migitate so better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #43
Tmt
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25, BMW 1 F21

Quote:
I have fire detection and other sensors but if it catches fire for whatever reason there no way they can get car out of my house in a safe way.
Would you be able to get a burning ICE car like the X5 our of the garage? It’s basically the same problem
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #44
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Yes it is standard
No, it's not, and in Belgium there is no option for a pre-heater on a 45e.

See below (sorry, in Dutch... 536 is the pre-heater option, and the 3rd column is the 45e
Attached Images

Appreciate 0