BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
boostincincy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92, E36 M3 race car, 19' X5

Water Leaking into battery compartment INSIDE vehicle causing electric issues

I'm simply posting this because I won't be able to drop the car off to BMW Manhattan until Wednesday, but wanted to hear from informed people outside of the dealership.

The car has been having electric issues for a few weeks now, relating to the interior instruments not going to sleep after I leave the vehicle, which has resulted in a dead battery/car alarm going off in the morning, with no way of stopping it except to use manual key to get into car and disconnect battery. This has temporarily reset the issue but then after a few days the issue occurs again.

Now after a long rain Friday, and the battery issue this morning, I open the rear hatch and it feels damn, I pop up the spare tire compartment where the battery is, and there's 1" of standing water around the battery tray area. See attached photos.

I am obviously very concerned about this because this has probably been happening for over a year now, and then the water slowly evaporates, or finds an exit... but either way I bought this car in April 2019, and I am concerned this is a more serious issue that has permanently damaged the car. I don't want to be out of warranty with this vehicle and experience serious issues.

I'm curious if this is an isolated issue, and also, what rights I have as the buyer here. I am a loyal BMW customer but for a $72k car I am scared of hanging onto this vehicle long term.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I didn't see an X5 in your profile, but sounds like the seals around the rear hatch or hatch window are broken, and should be covered under warranty, both fixing the seals and any damage caused.
Appreciate 1
RJJJ42.00
      10-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
OP, what is the grey colour pipe that is connecting to a black piece with round base?

I think if the source of the leak is found you should be fine. I had a similar incident with a different car many years ago - rear glass wasn't re-fitted correctly after a repair.

I would take a water hose and spray water on the roof, hatch etc. to try to locate the leaking source if you're adventurous; else let the dealership take care of it.

Please report back your findings.
      10-19-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

SmartSaves might be onto something, where is this water coming from?
      10-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
OP, what is the grey colour pipe that is connecting to a black piece with round base?

I think if the source of the leak is found you should be fine. I had a similar incident with a different car many years ago - rear glass wasn't re-fitted correctly after a repair.

I would take a water hose and spray water on the roof, hatch etc. to try to locate the leaking source if you're adventurous; else let the dealership take care of it.

Please report back your findings.
That gray hose looks to be the battery vent hose as one end is attached to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
OP, could you please provide us an update?
      10-24-2020, 12:00 AM   #7
boostincincy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
OP, could you please provide us an update?
Dropped off car Wednesday morning when I got back to town, 730a drop off at BMW Manhattan, got there before they opened but 5 other cars waiting in line to drop off before me.

I've only spoken via text every day with service, but so far Wednesday and Thursday no update.

Today at around 1pm I was texted " We are still working on your vehicle, one of the control modules crashed, requires remote programming from Germany, I will follow up Monday once I have an update"

So I asked if the source of the water has been found yet, and that I'm obviously concerned is future electronic issues from the damage will be caused.

His response "I'll find out Monday, we are obviously going to fix the water leak and the damage".

So, that's all I've been told so far. Waiting patiently, and they didn't have any loaner cars until 11/10, so I'm driving my e92 when I need to drive, which is less than ideal.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thank you OP for keeping us posted. I hope they get to the bottom of it. When time permits please share the outcome.
      10-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
That gray hose looks to be the battery vent hose as one end is attached to the battery.
Ditto Marty in NY...that is the same type of hose that has been attached to every BMW battery I've owned that has been enclosed inside the trunk or below the rear seat. It allows gases that are generated naturally by the battery to escape to the exterior of the car. Any battery that is enclosed inside the vehicle and doesn't have enough air flow to remove these gases (unlike the engine bay)..should always have a vent tube attached to remove these gases.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
boostincincy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally 'fixed' after 3.5 weeks, I pick the car up Saturday. Rather than explain what their invoice says, I'll just post screen shots of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #11
boostincincy
Enlisted Member
Rep

So again, my obvious worry is that I now have a $72k car that's a little over a year old, and will be riddled with reoccurring electric issues from the damage that's already been done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
I think your X5 will be fine. They isolated the drain-pipe kink problem, replaced cables, replaced actuator. Issue is solved for now and you have a reference point.

I would buy a trickle charger or battery tenderizer and top-up the charge once in a while and refrain using any accessories that might potentially drain the battery.

Let's not worry about what may or man not happen, enjoy the ride
      09-30-2023, 08:20 AM   #13
Tclancy77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, Arctic Blue, Tartufo

Good morning.

Having the same issue with my 2019 (performance delivery in June 2019). First occurred in May 2023 and they believed the leak source was the roof fin. Well 3.5 months later and the same issue. I’m at a different dealership and they don’t believe the roof fin is the source of the leak. Had issues with the sun roof drains and that was fixed in July. During the May service they claimed to have cleaned the sunroof drain lines buy they did not. Completely disheartening to see pictures of water and wet electronics (all the were replaced in May). Of course now I’m out of warranty. Has anyone else seen the problem recently? Thanks and appreciate any thoughts or advice. Dealership has had it for two days and had not found the source of the leak. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:49 AM   #14
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclancy77 View Post
Good morning.

Having the same issue with my 2019 (performance delivery in June 2019). First occurred in May 2023 and they believed the leak source was the roof fin. Well 3.5 months later and the same issue. I’m at a different dealership and they don’t believe the roof fin is the source of the leak. Had issues with the sun roof drains and that was fixed in July. During the May service they claimed to have cleaned the sunroof drain lines buy they did not. Completely disheartening to see pictures of water and wet electronics (all the were replaced in May). Of course now I’m out of warranty. Has anyone else seen the problem recently? Thanks and appreciate any thoughts or advice. Dealership has had it for two days and had not found the source of the leak. Thanks!
Is there a vent in the battery compartment similar to the one in the attached picture? Apparently, some folks had water come in through that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:57 AM   #15
Tclancy77
United_States
Rep

Thank you and I will definitely tell them that when I go to the dealership today. It seems that most of the water is in the wheel wells.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:34 PM   #16
Tclancy77
United_States
Rep

Update: it is the rear Sunroof drain line (which VA dealer claimed to have serviced in May and yet 1 month after being garaged completely after being returned from the dealership the front sunroof drain lines clogged causing leaking in the front passenger side). I’ve been quoted $1,800 to repair all of the water damaged components (same components that were replaced by my VA dealership in May under warranty). Dealership in MA reached out to them and they are washing their hands saying it’s too long after they completed warranty work. Is there a process to elevate to BMW North America?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #17
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

So a clogged front sunroof drain can damage components behind the glovebox?
And rear sunroof drain damage components in the trunk?
Appreciate 0