BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
AKBRD
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Wood trim chipped after service appt

Hi guys,

So after picking up the car after service appointment, noticed this small piece of wood trim chipped. It is very small on the edge, pretty sure it was not there before dropping it off. My guess is it might have been caught by a towel during after service clean. Do you guys think it is worth pursuing replacing the cover? I am not sure how invasive this might be and might better to be left alone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Go after them only if you're 100% sure that was not there when you dropped it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

I've had similar issues from my service dept. on more than one occasion, mainly scratches/damage to the merino leather on the center console and armrest. Definitely push for them to replace and correct whatever damage they may have caused. You should not have to suffer with visible damage due to their negligence.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

these types of things are always tough for dealers. Not saying you are lying but unfortunately there are a lot of people who try to take advantage of dealers in situations like this. If a dealer was in fact responsible then they should 100% replace it, but if there isn't a way to prove it, its going to depend on your relationship with your service rep you work with. Can't hurt to bring it up and see what they say. good luck

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #5
AKBRD
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciated. And you are right to us we did not see it there prior to dropping the car for service. Service told that us that they spoke with the tech who worked on it and he said he did not do anything to cause this. And we can't really prove whether he did it or not.

Do you guys think changing the cover would involve taking the whole center console apart or is it something quick? I am just trying to avoid any additional issues that may come if replacement is too invasive.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBRD View Post
Thanks for your input guys, really appreciated. And you are right to us we did not see it there prior to dropping the car for service. Service told that us that they spoke with the tech who worked on it and he said he did not do anything to cause this. And we can't really prove whether he did it or not.

Do you guys think changing the cover would involve taking the whole center console apart or is it something quick? I am just trying to avoid any additional issues that may come if replacement is too invasive.
I'm not a perfectionist, and I do understand the $$ pay for these vehicles, but they are just that to be used and replaced. My thoughts here would be see if they can find a color match and touch it up. Looking at your pics heck I could live with that it doesn't take away from the vehicle. If I could not prove it wasn't like that with photo I might think I did it myself.. LOL I take pics when I first take any vehicle I buy really just to remember all that I've owned but they can be used for things like this.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      10-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBRD View Post
Hi guys,

So after picking up the car after service appointment, noticed this small piece of wood trim chipped. It is very small on the edge, pretty sure it was not there before dropping it off. My guess is it might have been caught by a towel during after service clean. Do you guys think it is worth pursuing replacing the cover? I am not sure how invasive this might be and might better to be left alone.
As others have said, this is a tough, you vs them, issue. It could simply be that if the dealer cleaned the interior of the car, which they do now due to covid, their cleaning cloth got caught on an edge that was rough or sticking up just a hair. If they used a microfiber cloth, those grab onto the tiniest of things. However, its doubtful the person even knew it happened or if it happened under your watch, its doubtful you would have felt it.

Changing the cover may cause you more harm than good, you may do well to take Tenac's advice and color match a touchup. When the time comes where you have a few more you can then look at replacing the cover. In the meantime, carefully inspect all the edges for more opportunities of a cleaning cloth repeating it in the future. Looks like a rough edge to me when I look at your close up pic. Possibly run a very fine sandpaper along the edge very lightly to smooth all the edges.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4537.00
      10-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I'm with Tenac on this one - go to the hardware store and buy a few hardwood touchup pens ... experiment on a scrap piece of wood - you may have to mix two colors to match the Anthracite but you should be able to get close enough where you eye won't catch it every time you look down.
Appreciate 2
volodp196.50
Tenac4537.00
      10-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

This is going to be an eyesore forever. Sorry. How old your car is?

Happened to me. Brand new 2014 x35i, after 4 weeks NBT unit stop working. Dropped it for warranty replacement. Tech replaced parts from Germany when I picked up the car after two days, there were similar scuff marks, scratches on all over the wood trim next to shifter (flat try and side inlays).

I was fucking furious. No way I was going to accept the car like that. Whoever worked on the car, put the replacement parts on the wood trim, and worked there. Didn't put a mat or some protection to protect the wood inlays.

I had them order all wood trim, side, middle tray, everything and they replaced it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

This is the #1 reason. I don't let them clean or wash a brand new car.

My service manager put NOTE on the dashboard. NO Cleaning inside, no vaccuming and NO wash <Period>.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #11
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Definitely go the touch up route. I avoid dealers at all costs for reasons like this.