BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
Shnaqvi2023
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2012 320i

Bmw 2012 f30 charging malfunction. Voltage drops and throws an error

Hello,

Please be kind as I am new here and not sure if this is where i post my thread.

Recently bought a used f30 2012 320i. It gave me an error a couple of weeks back of car discharging while stopped. But that went away in its own and didnt reappear.

Yesterday i ran into the issue of charging malfunction and the car completely died on me. I replaced the battery and the charging malfunction error went away for a while but reappeared after i took it out for another spin.

I was using the in dash menu to check the battery voltage and using multimeter i checked the battery voltage. While the car was off the battery was stable at 12.6v when i started the car the voltage spiked to 14v and stayed for a while. Still idling for about 5 minutes the voltage starts to drop all the way to 11.8v and pops the battery not being charged error and when i rev it, it spikes back up to 14v. After i let go of the gas pedal the voltage again starts dropping until it gets to 11.8v and throws the error again. I did this cycle for a couple of times just to see the voltage go up to 14-15v and back down to 11.8v.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thank you
Appreciate 0