BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
LionelF
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 2020 3.0 xdrive

Exclamation G05 x5 2020 - Various Issues (India) - Advice Apprecaited

Hi Folks,

am from india and have been facing quite a few issues with my 2020 G05 x5. have taken delivery in March 2020 and since then the car has spent 46 days in the workshop, 12 total visits and has 12 parts replaced under warranty and 3 more pending due to non availability of the spare parts. what is most surprising is that the brand is very casual about the issues and say this is normal and hence we have warranty to take care of the same.

most of the issues are electrical in nature and have read on quiet a few blogs of these issues being global.

would any one be able to help if these issuses seem nomal for a one year old car or there seems to be more than what catches the eye to cover up for a faulty car sold.

best regards

lionel
Attached Images

Last edited by LionelF; 05-06-2021 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: cropped the image
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelF View Post
Hi Folks,

am from india and have been facing quite a few issues with my 2020 G05 x5. have taken delivery in March 2020 and since then the car has spent 46 days in the workshop, 12 total visits and has 12 parts replaced under warranty and 3 more pending due to non availability of the spare parts. what is most surprising is that the brand is very casual about the issues and say this is normal and hence we have warranty to take care of the same.

most of the issues are electrical in nature and have read on quiet a few blogs of these issues being global.

would any one be able to help if these issuses seem nomal for a one year old car or there seems to be more than what catches the eye to cover up for a faulty car sold.

best regards

lionel
Not normal I would say.... I will be getting mine in a few weeks, hope I do not experience anything like you have. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

46 days in the workshop???

definitely not normal, sounds like you might have a Lemon on your hands..

Did you get it new or used?

If it goes in again, tell them to keep it and start arguing for a new one.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
46 days in the workshop???

definitely not normal, sounds like you might have a Lemon on your hands..

Did you get it new or used?

If it goes in again, tell them to keep it and start arguing for a new one.
that was told to me that it was a brand new one even though it had done 160kms on date of delivery. i have challenged the dealer and the brand and they continue to defend the point its new one and there are bound to have issues. hence we have warranty to take care if parts if they are issues.

i asked for a replacement and they denied the same saying that as per company policy it cannot be allowed. what was even more surprising that there was another case in the country which had issues with the sunroof and not only did he get a exchange he also got it upgraded (its on youtube).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Not normal I would say.... I will be getting mine in a few weeks, hope I do not experience anything like you have. Sorry!
= hope no one ever has to go through this. I had an 2017 x3 prior to this and there was no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
Chetak
Private
Rep
Drives: 21X5

Quote:
that was told to me that it was a brand new one even though it had done 160kms on date of delivery. i have challenged the dealer and the brand and they continue to defend the point its new one and there are bound to have issues. hence we have warranty to take care if parts if they are issues.

i asked for a replacement and they denied the same saying that as per company policy it cannot be allowed. what was even more surprising that there was another case in the country which had issues with the sunroof and not only did he get a exchange he also got it upgraded (its on youtube).
Sorry to hear that..It depends upon you to fight back..if the issues are recurring and they are unable to fix you can use lemon law..but don't how it works in India..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
LionelF
Rep

Am not to sure if lemon laws are there in India. The brand has even threatened to take legal action for being unreasonable and harassing the management after what I have gone through. Simply unremarkable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

I think you already know the answer to your question, this is not normal. These stories are rare. Sorry.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #9
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
I think you already know the answer to your question, this is not normal. These stories are rare. Sorry.
=its only a matter of time. patience has been put to the test.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 04:53 PM   #10
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:

With 160kms at delivery, that's bordering on "used". I can accept 20-40km (in that range), but 160km ? - I would've questioned where its been driven.

You are unlikely to get a replacement at zero cost, but what you can do is ask for a change-over. You may be out of pocket to a small amount, but at least you will leave the lemon behind.
Ask them whether its acceptable for a luxury car like this to be off the road for such a long time with so many faults?

Good luck with it !
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
Datemike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Quote:
Am not to sure if lemon laws are there in India. The brand has even threatened to take legal action for being unreasonable and harassing the management after what I have gone through. Simply unremarkable.
This sounds like borderline intimidation because I don't understand what case they would build against you? Multiple complaints? Yeah i dont think that qualifies.

On the flipside, you can turn it around on them and actually think about pursuing legal action against BMW India. There might be no lemon laws but you still might have a case for being harassed as a consumer in consumer courts.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datemike View Post
Quote:
This sounds like borderline intimidation because I don't understand what case they would build against you? Multiple complaints? Yeah i dont think that qualifies.

On the flipside, you can turn it around on them and actually think about pursuing legal action against BMW India. There might be no lemon laws but you still might have a case for being harassed as a consumer in consumer courts.
Wow i know dealing with kinds of honda and VW of Mumbai has been a pain in the butt for me but never thought this is how BMW treats their customer in India who pay a fortune in import taxes. This is not normal anywhere and on top of that they are threatening. Go all out on BMW write to corporate chase on social media and file complaints in consumer courts. There is a slim chance that you will get any legal relief given how things works in India but it may force BMW to take you more seriously and fix it for you. I had a minor nick on the dash and they changed the whole thing for me here in USA.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #13
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datemike View Post

= am considering the option as water has flowed over my head.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #14
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadab.ashraf56 View Post
Wow i know dealing with kinds of honda and VW of Mumbai has been a pain in the butt for me but never thought this is how BMW treats their customer in India who pay a fortune in import taxes. This is not normal anywhere and on top of that they are threatening. Go all out on BMW write to corporate chase on social media and file complaints in consumer courts. There is a slim chance that you will get any legal relief given how things works in India but it may force BMW to take you more seriously and fix it for you. I had a minor nick on the dash and they changed the whole thing for me here in USA.
= they have no respect for the customer, and the brand makes you feel they are doing a favour to you with their tone in the emails.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
= they have no respect for the customer, and the brand makes you feel they are doing a favour to you with their tone in the emails.
Your dealer is your interface with the company. NOt all dealers are that great, as, at least in most countries, the dealership is a franchise, not owned by the BMW company. The company sets some standards, but they may not know whether those have been upheld. So, if you've done what you can with your dealer, maybe it's time to start to talk to BMW India to express your displeasure.

Unfortunately there is a world-wide parts shortage, and in the US, and probably other destinations for the X5, there are options that you can no longer order because of it. That puts pressure on repair parts, too.

Until the vehicle is first registered, in many places, it can be considered 'new' even though it may have been driven as a demo, or by the local staff. It's possible that prior to delivery to the dealership, instead of putting it on a truck to get there, it was driven there instead. So, while probably not ideal, since you don't know how it was driven, that may not be all that unusual. The vehicle will have at least a few kilometers on it, as it is run at a test station after completion, gets driven to the storage area, then onto a truck or train, then off the train onto at least one ship to get to India, maybe transferred a couple of times. I don't see that adding up to 160Km, but maybe if it was driven to the dealership from some other point where it was dropped off.

Generally, parts availability isn't a major issue, but as you know living in India, the pandemic has disrupted lots of things, and it will continue until the vast majority of the world is vaccinated and that will take time, especially for those that deny they need it or trust that it is both viable and necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:54 PM   #16
orthopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport LCi

Sorry to hear this.

Does like a bit too much for a new car.

Why run a registration check online and see if you are the first registered owner or not.

If you are then it is likely that this is an ex demo car. (mine had 10km on it despite being the "launch car")

Where are you based? I'm in Bombay and have good relations with the Infinity Motors people, if thats any help.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #17
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopod View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Does like a bit too much for a new car.

Why run a registration check online and see if you are the first registered owner or not.

If you are then it is likely that this is an ex demo car. (mine had 10km on it despite being the "launch car")

Where are you based? I'm in Bombay and have good relations with the Infinity Motors people, if thats any help.
Yes very much from mumbai. I dont trust either if the dealers in mumbai. They are aligned to the brand.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #18
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Your dealer is your interface with the company. NOt all dealers are that great, as, at least in most countries, the dealership is a franchise, not owned by the BMW company. The company sets some standards, but they may not know whether those have been upheld. So, if you've done what you can with your dealer, maybe it's time to start to talk to BMW India to express your displeasure.

Unfortunately there is a world-wide parts shortage, and in the US, and probably other destinations for the X5, there are options that you can no longer order because of it. That puts pressure on repair parts, too.

Until the vehicle is first registered, in many places, it can be considered 'new' even though it may have been driven as a demo, or by the local staff. It's possible that prior to delivery to the dealership, instead of putting it on a truck to get there, it was driven there instead. So, while probably not ideal, since you don't know how it was driven, that may not be all that unusual. The vehicle will have at least a few kilometers on it, as it is run at a test station after completion, gets driven to the storage area, then onto a truck or train, then off the train onto at least one ship to get to India, maybe transferred a couple of times. I don't see that adding up to 160Km, but maybe if it was driven to the dealership from some other point where it was dropped off.

Generally, parts availability isn't a major issue, but as you know living in India, the pandemic has disrupted lots of things, and it will continue until the vast majority of the world is vaccinated and that will take time, especially for those that deny they need it or trust that it is both viable and necessary.
= I have already have an exchange of legal notices between the dealer and the brand and their replies have been more of denial and threats to me rather than answering to the point. They denial of the facts of lately is reflecting by not replying to specific emails where I seek clarifications. Even the leadership is also aligned. In the initial part when there were issues they sent me emails and call me a number of times even after office hours with request and now they have threatened me to send emails or call them. On your point Of part availability Covid cannot be used as a reason to cover up poor quantity and non availability of spares. The issue of who needs to block capital for spares has been an old contentious issue and the customer suffers. Also who would anticipate failures in the first year of ownership and they us this pretext to sell the BSI and BRI which actually only starts after 2 years.

To summarise, no customer buys luxury cars to experience this and auto manufacturer should not take customers granted in any country and apply same rules for all customers. Just be transparent, honest and fair.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      05-09-2021, 12:37 AM   #19
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

= I have already have an exchange of legal notices between the dealer and the brand and their replies have been more of denial and threats to me rather than answering to the point. They denial of the facts of lately is reflecting by not replying to specific emails where I seek clarifications. Even the leadership is also aligned. In the initial part when there were issues they sent me emails and call me a number of times even after office hours with request and now they have threatened me to send emails or call them. On your point Of part availability Covid cannot be used as a reason to cover up poor quantity and non availability of spares. The issue of who needs to block capital for spares has been an old contentious issue and the customer suffers. Also who would anticipate failures in the first year of ownership and they us this pretext to sell the BSI and BRI which actually only starts after 2 years.

To summarise, no customer buys luxury cars to experience this and auto manufacturer should not take customers granted in any country and apply same rules for all customers. Just be transparent, honest and fair.
The problem with India is that the laws there are not very consumer friendly and more money loaded people/corporate friendly. Also, legal action will drain you quite a bit financially vs. them being a corporate so they will have a ton of lawyers already and can afford to fight the case even though eventually you may win but you need to have the financial, emotional and mental strength to see it through.

Having said that, you should write to BMW corporate and present all facts, evidence, communication between you and the dealer and present everything you can and then bug the hell out of them till they respond back with some compassion. Blast the shit out of the dealer and BMW India on Twitter and other social media and upload pictures of evidence/communication, etc. On Twitter and tag BMW corporate as well.

I hope it turns out all well for you and I am sorry you are having to go through this!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 01:11 AM   #20
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

There's like a few thousand people in India rich enough to import bmws, I doubt Twitter shaming the dealership will make any difference to the masses. Unfortunately OP's best bet is to try and make any headway with their corporate office.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:22 AM   #21
LionelF
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
There's like a few thousand people in India rich enough to import bmws, I doubt Twitter shaming the dealership will make any difference to the masses. Unfortunately OP's best bet is to try and make any headway with their corporate office.
= whats an OP. unfortunately their corporate office is not operational due to covid. their twitter is perpetually full of complaints 2/3 cases daily on an average. also if u tweet they either threaten you or block you. both were done to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:48 AM   #22
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
= whats an OP. unfortunately their corporate office is not operational due to covid. their twitter is perpetually full of complaints 2/3 cases daily on an average. also if u tweet they either threaten you or block you. both were done to me.
OP = original poster - that's you!
Appreciate 0