BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2022, 11:11 PM   #45
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Distance to the dealer is a factor. As it happens, an excellent BMW dealer is just a few miles from me, almost (long) walking distance. Two H-D dealers aren't a whole lot farther away. OTOH, the Ducati and Guzzi dealers are several hours away from me, and a Triumph dealer isn't much closer. Japanese dealers are in between.

There's a lot to be said for shaft drive, but staying on top of chain maintenance should be fine.

I didn't know that the newest H-D engine has hydraulic lifters. That's handy.
      01-14-2022, 12:05 AM   #46
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Was shopping Bob's. And the salespeople were very nice, really good people.
No doubt Bob's is a fine operation. And if there wasn't the caliper recall I'd be on a BMW right now.

Also, can't dismiss that I may share some responsibility the communication between us didn't end up with a sale. Also think subconsciously I was preferring the Harley and thats why the BMW sale didn't materialize.

I also had a very good browsing experience at District / Battley - Harley BMW. The sales guy was very good. As did seem the general manager. But they were just too far away.
Small world. I bought my C650 from Bob's. I also bought my Ducati 848 from Battley's now District.

I've been working with Todd at Bob's. He's definitely a go getter. After buying the C650, I was thinking about picking up one of their used S1000RRs. Wasn't good timing for me though. Too bad because at the time, BMW Financial was offering 1.99% for 5 years financing on all new and used BMW bikes with no model exclusions.

I worked with Sam when I got my 848. Good to see he's still there. Battley's has undergone so many changes over the years. Doesn't have the feel it did in the past. A few of their service guys have moved on too.

I'll be in the market for the second gen S1000RR. Was going to go with Bob's but may give District a shot too.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      01-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #47
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I've had a great relationship with Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg for close to 50-years—dating back to when there actually was a Mr. Morton involved! I enjoy the backroads ride of about an hour to get there, not that I've had to do it that much. They were helpful from providing warranty work when I had a new bike (K1100RS) to supplying parts for my vintage BMWs of which I currently own seven. I always have to warn people I refer there that the "niceness" at that store is not an act. These are wonderful people.

That being said, I've known Bob (Bob's BMW) since he was Bob's Used Parts and we get along just fine, too. He runs an excellent shop in addition to supporting BMW clubs and many other worthy causes.

Having such fantastic resources so close by makes owning a BMW in the Mid-Atlantic that much more enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Bob's has had some affiliation with the track school I attend which is California Superbike School. I have yet to check out the museum at Bob's. They've given me a tour of the back room area where they keep all the used parts they sell. It's actually pretty impressive. Very organized and clean.

I know there are Ducati owners on here. Ducpond in Winchester, VA is supposed to be one of the go to's in the area for all things Ducati. Donnie the owner is the head mechanic and a former racer. Word of warning, Donnie can be a bit ornery. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #49
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Bob's has had some affiliation with the track school I attend which is California Superbike School. I have yet to check out the museum at Bob's. They've given me a tour of the back room area where they keep all the used parts they sell. It's actually pretty impressive. Very organized and clean.

I know there are Ducati owners on here. Ducpond in Winchester, VA is supposed to be one of the go to's in the area for all things Ducati. Donnie the owner is the head mechanic and a former racer. Word of warning, Donnie can be a bit ornery. LOL.

Many years ago I was fortunate enough to browse the classic BNW bikes at Bob's and it was memorable.

About Ducpond, stay away ! November of 2020 I checked the Ducpond web-site and it certainly appeared to be a Ducati franchise dealership. So I drove there on a Saturday...walked in and couldn't figure out what was going on. If they were no longer a Ducati dealership or if they were just doing repairs or selling used bikes.
The receptionist, the employees if they were employees...just ridiculous unprofessional establishment.
Appreciate 0