10-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #23
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Yes. With the backup assistant the car accelerates rather quickly so I keep my foot on the brakes but this happened within about 10 feet of starting the backup.

With all the tech in this car it just shouldn’t have happened. And when it did, the bumper should have provided some level of protection. That is what bumpers are for. Damn plastic thing just crumpled, and the metal back panel is what stopped the car.

I Hit a vertical pole. The bumper should have made first contact and saved the car from further damage.

It is so frustrating. I know the car will protect its passengers relatively well, but it should also be designed to protect from such extensive damage at such a low speed. Had to have been less than 5mph, but I don’t know for sure.
Absolutely agree with you
I park in a building garage where I literally have inches on both sides between 2 poles. Day 1 of having the car, it kept stopping because I was too close to the poles and it automatically stopped when I was about a foot away from back wall.
Welcome to NYC parking
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2189 View Post
Absolutely agree with you
I park in a building garage where I literally have inches on both sides between 2 poles. Day 1 of having the car, it kept stopping because I was too close to the poles and it automatically stopped when I was about a foot away from back wall.
Welcome to NYC parking
Here is the message I just sent to the service rep. Today is day three of waiting to hear from the “regional rep”.
Please get back to me today about what the rep says.

This collision happened when using backup assistant, which failed as did the collision avoidance system. The reason I stopped in this parking lot is because my navigation system wouldn't take me to a nearby address, and I was trying to figure out what was wrong.

All of these issues are insane for a brand new, expensive car like mine. In addition, Repair delays are a chronic problem with BMW, as are iDrive updates.

I need to take this car on a long trip in December and want to be sure iDrive and navigation is working correctly before I go. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the car before then, it is hard to trust it any more.

I am making a monthly payment of $1,200 and don't have the car to use. For an indeterminate length of time.

If you would like, put me in touch with the rep directly. I want to hear something TODAY and It seems unfair and, at this point, counterproductive, for you to be in the middle of this mess.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #25
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
With all the tech in this car it just shouldn't have happened. And when it did, the bumper should have provided some level of protection. That is what bumpers are for. Damn plastic thing just crumpled, and the metal back panel is what stopped the car.

I Hit a vertical pole. The bumper should have made first contact and saved the car from further damage.

It is so frustrating. I know the car will protect its passengers relatively well, but it should also be designed to protect from such extensive damage at such a low speed. Had to have been less than 5mph, but I don't know for sure.
Nothing is more stressful than having an accident especially with a new vehicle, but you can't blame the bumper for not preventing the accident.

That's what your bumper did, allow the vehicle to sustain a low-speed impact without damage to the vehicle's safety systems, and to protect pedestrians from injury.

There are bumper absorbers behind the decorative bumper that absorbs more of the impact energy in a collision.

No bumper is going to prevent the pole from damaging the back of vehicle unless it was rolling at less than 2.5mph and the pole no more than 18" (international regulation for front/rear bumper protection).

Hopefully it gets resolved though as not quickly as expected for a vehicle that's been in production for a year.

Appreciate 2
perikifi165.50
      10-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Yes. With the backup assistant the car accelerates rather quickly so I keep my foot on the brakes but this happened within about 10 feet of starting the backup.
Sounds like you had the other foot on the gas. The Backup Assistant does not provide any acceleration, the driver is responsible for that. It is also hard to believe that it got the route wrong since you drove past the pole on the way into the spot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
perikifi165.50
VTENGR1043.50
      10-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #27
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Sounds like you had the other foot on the gas. The Backup Assistant does not provide any acceleration, the driver is responsible for that. It is also hard to believe that it got the route wrong since you drove past the pole on the way into the spot.
Trust me, the backup assistant accelerates quickly on its own. You just tap the gas to start it and it keeps accelerating as if you had a foot on the gas.

The messages warn you to keep your foot in the brake. I’ve used it a lot just pulling out of my driveway, so it wasn’t the first time. I always keep my foot on the brake. It is really stupid that it accelerates so fast, seems like an accident waiting to happen....

I’m really over the BMW thing. This car has gotta go. I’ve made up my mind. I’ll take the financial hit and get into a car that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, the backup assistant accelerates quickly on its own. You just tap the gas to start it and it keeps accelerating as if you had a foot on the gas.

The messages warn you to keep your foot in the brake. I’ve used it a lot just pulling out of my driveway, so it wasn’t the first time. I always keep my foot on the brake. It is really stupid that it accelerates so fast, seems like an accident waiting to happen....

I’m really over the BMW thing. This car has gotta go. I’ve made up my mind. I’ll take the financial hit and get into a car that makes sense.
LOL. Okay, if it makes you feel better to blame the incident on something that didn't cause it go right ahead.
Appreciate 2
perikifi165.50
      10-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #29
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
LOL. Okay, if it makes you feel better to blame the incident on something that didn't cause it go right ahead.
I'm more concerned with the backup assistant hitting the pole when she clearly didn't hit it when she parked the car. Either the assistant was switched off by mistake, or it didn't follow the saved route like it should have. Something is not adding up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm more concerned with the backup assistant hitting the pole when she clearly didn't hit it when she parked the car. Either the assistant was switched off by mistake, or it didn't follow the saved route like it should have. Something is not adding up here.
My guess is she was not using the Backup Assistant.
Appreciate 2
VTENGR1043.50
perikifi165.50
      10-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #31
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I fully understand that, as the driver, I am responsible. But I am not responsible for the incompetence of a company that can’t get its tech working as promised, and doesn’t provide any way for dealers to get parts for repair.

My insurance is paying for it, which means I am paying for it. Lesson learned. It was fun while it lasted but I’ll find a car that has more reliable tech and better service. I can afford the hit. Car has got to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #32
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My guess is she was not using the Backup Assistant.
You could be right, but I hit the backup assistant and started the process as I always do. Maybe I touched the wheel inadvertently, I don’t know. But it shouldn’t have crashed me into a line of poles that was clearly visible to the cameras.

It just doesn’t work and I don’t trust it any more.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #33
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You could be right, but I hit the backup assistant and started the process as I always do. Maybe I touched the wheel inadvertently, I don’t know. But it shouldn’t have crashed me into a line of poles that was clearly visible to the cameras.

It just doesn’t work and I don’t trust it any more.
If they were clearly visible why didn't you stop the car? Isn't that why they make you keep your foot on the break in case you see something the car doesn't?
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 11:02 AM   #34
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Nothing is more stressful than having an accident especially with a new vehicle, but you can't blame the bumper for not preventing the accident.

That's what your bumper did, allow the vehicle to sustain a low-speed impact without damage to the vehicle's safety systems, and to protect pedestrians from injury.

There are bumper absorbers behind the decorative bumper that absorbs more of the impact energy in a collision.

No bumper is going to prevent the pole from damaging the back of vehicle unless it was rolling at less than 2.5mph and the pole no more than 18" (international regulation for front/rear bumper protection).

Hopefully it gets resolved though as not quickly as it should be expected for a vehicle that's been in production for a year.
Agreed!!

OP,
Sorry for the accident happening, but no way anyone can blame the manufacture or tech for an accident.

As for a loaner, it depends on your dealership. I've received a loaner for a few weeks for non service repairs. Its usually the insurance that covers our rental in cases like this, but we asked dealership nicely and they gave us a loaner.

The price for repair will vary from repair shops, but it is what it is. high price for parts and repair on a luxury car is normal, that's why we have insurance. shortage of parts happens all the time, but can BMW make it easier for customer, yes.

BMW might not be the "perfect" car, but suggesting this is your last BMW is quite ____. you mentioned you have many cars, if those cars were perfect, you would have purchased this BMW...Probably best your going sell it after repairs, not worth the stress. Its just a fender bender and you were not injured. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #35
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If they were clearly visible why didn't you stop the car? Isn't that why they make you keep your foot on the break in case you see something the car doesn't?
It just happened so fast. Car stopped turning as I expected it to and I had no time to react. I’m getting more accustomed to looking at the backup camera, but I still turn around sometimes out of habit. I’m pretty sure I was watching the video monitor but never saw it coming. It was like maybe 5 seconds after I started the backup.

Honestly I’d have to go under hypnosis to remember all the details. Accidents are usually accidents because you never see them coming. I wasn’t distracted by music or a gabby passenger. I was paying attention. Then wham.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #36
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Agreed!!

OP,
Sorry for the accident happening, but no way anyone can blame the manufacture or tech for an accident.

As for a loaner, it depends on your dealership. I've received a loaner for a few weeks for non service repairs. Its usually the insurance that covers our rental in cases like this, but we asked dealership nicely and they gave us a loaner.

The price for repair will vary from repair shops, but it is what it is. high price for parts and repair on a luxury car is normal, that's why we have insurance. shortage of parts happens all the time, but can BMW make it easier for customer, yes.

BMW might not be the "perfect" car, but suggesting this is your last BMW is quite ____. you mentioned you have many cars, if those cars were perfect, you would have purchased this BMW...Probably best your going sell it after repairs, not worth the stress. Its just a fender bender and you were not injured. Good luck
I agree, and it didn’t involve any other cars or people. My other cars are older, newest is 2011 highlander. This is my first luxury and tech-driven car. It has been a good learning experience. Lots of data in my head for choosing the next car. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I fully understand that, as the driver, I am responsible. But I am not responsible for the incompetence of a company that can’t get its tech working as promised, and doesn’t provide any way for dealers to get parts for repair.

My insurance is paying for it, which means I am paying for it. Lesson learned. It was fun while it lasted but I’ll find a car that has more reliable tech and better service. I can afford the hit. Car has got to go.
Nancy,
We all know the tech in the G05 is as flakey as home made apple pie crust...one of the reasons I am still sitting on the bench. We also know that for some unknown reason, BMW is lacking in their ability to have replacement parts readily available. Thing is, if you don't need replacement parts, you don't care and if you don't use the flakey tech stuff, you don't care. So we buy the cars thinking that only the other guy will have these issues. However, you knew all this before buying it due to this great forum and owners willingness to share the not-so-great stuff.

Unfortunately, you now need parts so you certainly do and should care and get frustrated, I would too. However, take a step back from it all and remember how much you like your X5. You can sell it and switch to something else but it won't please you as much as your X5 does. It won't drive like it, won't accelerate like it, won't look like it, won't have the wonderful interior the X5 does. You will miss it.

Continue your approach with BMW because you don't get what you don't ask for and keep the pressure on your dealer to get your car fixed but accidents happen and cars get fixed and that's what insurance is for. I have had two windshields replaced which cost more than three years of my car insurance, Im happy that I am finally getting something in return for the years worth of insurance premiums I've paid

You are not the first to have an accident in an X5, you'll come out of this ok and be back behind the wheel with a smile on your face. ..and, this is your opportunity to tell the repair center to put a little metal behind the bumper so you can use your magnetic cat stickers Hang in there.
Appreciate 2
perikifi165.50
      10-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #38
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It just happened so fast. Car stopped turning as I expected it to and I had no time to react. I’m getting more accustomed to looking at the backup camera, but I still turn around sometimes out of habit. I’m pretty sure I was watching the video monitor but never saw it coming. It was like maybe 5 seconds after I started the backup.

Honestly I’d have to go under hypnosis to remember all the details. Accidents are usually accidents because you never see them coming. I wasn’t distracted by music or a gabby passenger. I was paying attention. Then wham.
Yeah - I get that. Was just having a hard time figuring out how this accident happened because you said you were going 3mph, which is very very slow - which caused a lot of damage, for going so slow. Then the backup assistant took you on a rouge route into yellow pylons that should have been obvious from the rear view camera, etc - especially at such a slow rate of speed. It just seems like a litany of errors occurring on this one.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #39
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah - I get that. Was just having a hard time figuring out how this accident happened because you said you were going 3mph, which is very very slow - which caused a lot of damage, for going so slow. Then the backup assistant took you on a rouge route into yellow pylons that should have been obvious from the rear view camera, etc - especially at such a slow rate of speed. It just seems like a litany of errors occurring on this one.
Yes. My fault for sure. Exactly what happened with the tech is hard to validate. But the bumper should have protected the car at least a little from so much back panel damage.

Next car is going to be metal, if such a thing still exists. Might have to swing over to the dark side and look at big fancy pickups. The bumpers on those at least LOOK substantial.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #40
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Nancy,
We all know the tech in the G05 is as flakey as home made apple pie crust...one of the reasons I am still sitting on the bench. We also know that for some unknown reason, BMW is lacking in their ability to have replacement parts readily available. Thing is, if you don't need replacement parts, you don't care and if you don't use the flakey tech stuff, you don't care. So we buy the cars thinking that only the other guy will have these issues. However, you knew all this before buying it due to this great forum and owners willingness to share the not-so-great stuff.

Unfortunately, you now need parts so you certainly do and should care and get frustrated, I would too. However, take a step back from it all and remember how much you like your X5. You can sell it and switch to something else but it won't please you as much as your X5 does. It won't drive like it, won't accelerate like it, won't look like it, won't have the wonderful interior the X5 does. You will miss it.

Continue your approach with BMW because you don't get what you don't ask for and keep the pressure on your dealer to get your car fixed but accidents happen and cars get fixed and that's what insurance is for. I have had two windshields replaced which cost more than three years of my car insurance, Im happy that I am finally getting something in return for the years worth of insurance premiums I've paid

You are not the first to have an accident in an X5, you'll come out of this ok and be back behind the wheel with a smile on your face. ..and, this is your opportunity to tell the repair center to put a little metal behind the bumper so you can use your magnetic cat stickers Hang in there.
Agree with all.
This is our first costly accident and luckily no other cars or people were involved. But the reality is that the insurance is basically a prepaid loan. In my experience, they jack up your rates enough to cover their cost over the next few years.

So, insurance isn’t really paying for this - or any other accident. I am, and you are too. Insurance companies are not in the habit of breaking even.

I have a little background with bumpers. When I worked on the national staff at AAA in the 1980s, the government was allowing car makers to go from a 5mph bumper standard, to 2.5 mph.

As a consumer advocate, AAA had a lot to say about it. I was a writer and wrote articles for the national magazine on it. That was a very long time ago, but clearly bumpers no longer need to meet ANY standard. My bumper might as well have been on Pluto for all the good it did me when I hit that pole.

It’s plastic. Probably less protective than a rubbermade fridge storage container. It just crumbled. I feel like telling the shop to not put another one on the car. It is totally useless. And costing me (ie my insurance) thousands.

When I buy a high-end car, I kinda expect it to include a bumper that works.

My husband is giving me the same lecture you did. Don’t do anything rash. He knows I love the car, and I think secretly he kinda likes it too. I agree. I will not get another BMW but that probably won’t happen next week. Or maybe next year.

And the next one is going to have REAL bumpers. That will probably put me in the pickup truck category. But hey, I’m open minded. You can get some very sweet trucks these days.

In the meantime I’m driving a car on pins and needles knowing that if I get even small damage to it, i won’t have it for weeks and it will cost a fortune to repair. Not sure I’m going to love driving it so much, if at all. TBD ....

I still feel confident that it will keep passengers safe, but that is simply my optimistic nature. Is THAT really true? Who knows? I hope I never find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #41
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I own the car, not a lease. I’m waiting to hear what the “regional rep” will offer. Seems to me they should either make my payment for a month, or give me a loaner to use. I realize either is highly unlikely but since this is a chronic problem, you would think they would have some sort of policy about it by now.

I’m in the US, and it sounds as if being in Canada makes these situations even worse. I wonder how long it takes to get repairs done in Germany? “Sorry, we have to wait for our next cargo container from Spartanburg”.

This makes me feel really sorry for the dealers - they are the ones that bear the brunt of this.
It seems that even though they cars are assembled in the US, many if not most of the parts come from Germany. In my case, both the drive belt and the tool to install it came from Germany, or at least that is what the dealer told me.
      10-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #42
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
It seems that even though they cars are assembled in the US, many if not most of the parts come from Germany. In my case, both the drive belt and the tool to install it came from Germany, or at least that is what the dealer told me.
Oh yes, I know that is true. People discuss it on this forum all the time. My case is nothing special.

The reality is that car parts come from all over the world. A Toyota or a Honda is as much “made in the USA” as a domestic car. So your parts may have come from japan, Mexico or China, shipped to Bavaria, THEN sent to the US.

Car makers know this. It is insane that they don’t set up more manageable parts systems. Stupid is what it is.

When we bought our highlander in 2011 it was just after the Japanese earthquake/tidal wave/nuclear disaster. Most cars of ANY brand couldn’t be made because all the paint comes from Japan. We were happy to get a car off the lot because we needed one quick, but they were getting very picked over.

It is what it is. Not sure any other brand will be better in terms of repair timelines, so I guess it’s the devil you know or the devil you don’t.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #43
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just looked it up.

3) What are the Federal regulations for bumpers?
49 CFR Part 581, “The bumper standard,” prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2½ mph across the full width and 1½ mph on the corners.

This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards.

4) Are all vehicle classes required to meet the Federal bumper standard?

No. The Federal bumper standard does not apply to sport utility vehicles (SUVs), minivans, or pickups trucks; only passenger cars.

The agency has chosen not to regulate bumper performance or elevation for these vehicle classes because of the potential compromise to the vehicle utility in operating on loading ramps and off road situations.

Here is the link
https://sparebumper.com/federal-bumper-standards/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #44
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I just looked it up.

3) What are the Federal regulations for bumpers?
49 CFR Part 581, “The bumper standard,” prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2½ mph across the full width and 1½ mph on the corners.

This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards.

4) Are all vehicle classes required to meet the Federal bumper standard?

No. The Federal bumper standard does not apply to sport utility vehicles (SUVs), minivans, or pickups trucks; only passenger cars.

The agency has chosen not to regulate bumper performance or elevation for these vehicle classes because of the potential compromise to the vehicle utility in operating on loading ramps and off road situations.

Here is the link
https://sparebumper.com/federal-bumper-standards/
Is your bumper damaged or just the cover? Do you have pics of the actual bumper behind the painted parts?
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0