BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Steering Column Faulty

Just had the diagnosis from the dealer that the steering column is faulty( well the motor that extends the steering wheel reach failed).

Anybody had a similar issue?
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Just had the diagnosis from the dealer that the steering column is faulty( well the motor that extends the steering wheel reach failed).

You are not alone, this has happened to several X5's since the G05 launched. There's another post on the same topic here https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1578115
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      05-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:

Did it sound like a machine gun firing when you got in the vehicle and the wheel started to come towards you? I notice this happening whenever I park outside and the sun heats up the interior. I thought it was the plastic flap on top of the column, so I pull it up a little when it was extending...still does it!
Appreciate 2
Arfy22.00
      05-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M Competition

Garage List
I have an issue all the sudden where when i enter the vehicle it doesn't remember the height or adjust. it's in the up position and won't come down to my save position automatically...any ideas anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisV View Post
I have an issue all the sudden where when i enter the vehicle it doesn't remember the height or adjust. it's in the up position and won't come down to my save position automatically...any ideas anyone?
If you hit your memory button, will it adjust your seat?
      05-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
Quote:
If you hit your memory button, will it adjust your seat?
yes
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Did you try rebooting iDrive by pressing and holding in the volume button for about 30 seconds? That might fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Did you try rebooting iDrive by pressing and holding in the volume button for about 30 seconds? That might fix it.
I had this last Monday for the first time and did an Idrive reset and it solved the problem. Last three days it functioned like normal.

When it didn't come down Monday I could do it manually with the lever on the steering wheel. I didn't try if pushing the memory button would make it go to the programmed position.

Some others and me made comments on this in the post mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Dumb question but do you have both keys with you when entering the car? Are you using the same key each time?

It might be adjusting to the memory associated with the key.
      05-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #10
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i use the same key. i've scheduled an appointment for next week but with my luck they won't be able to "recreate' the problem
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
indyg30
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540xi

I had this happen to my G30. Replaced under warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
MDBMW76
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

Mine went out at 4,000 miles. Here is a copy of the work order. Make sure that they do a proper alignment afterwards. I had to take mine back because the steering wheel was off centered when I picked it up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      05-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i use the same key. i've scheduled an appointment for next but with my luck they won't be able to "recreate' the problem
I also use the same key. It recognizes me, shows the profile and all other presets work. But it is solved now.

I can't put my profile on the different keys. I possible it would be nice to have my profile both on the normal and the display key

The problem the OP mentioned is different. In mine it was a memory problem I could still use the button to move in all directions. In my former f15 I had to have my steering column replaced. It wouldn't go in and out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #14
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Quote:

Did it sound like a machine gun firing when you got in the vehicle and the wheel started to come towards you? I notice this happening whenever I park outside and the sun heats up the interior. I thought it was the plastic flap on top of the column, so I pull it up a little when it was extending...still does it!
Nah. Just stopped working
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #15
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
Dumb question but do you have both keys with you when entering the car? Are you using the same key each time?

It might be adjusting to the memory associated with the key.
Nah same key. And only one key at a time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:16 AM   #16
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
i use the same key. i've scheduled an appointment for next but with my luck they won't be able to "recreate' the problem
I also use the same key. It recognizes me, shows the profile and all other presets work. But it is solved now.

I can't put my profile on the different keys. I possible it would be nice to have my profile both on the normal and the display key

The problem the OP mentioned is different. In mine it was a memory problem I could still use the button to move in all directions. In my former f15 I had to have my steering column replaced. It wouldn't go in and out.
yes that's my problem too. i can manually move the steering wheel anywhere i want but when i enter the vehicle after it has fully gone to sleep it doesn't remember where i set it before. i did the volume knob reset but still same problem. it has to be a software thing right?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #17
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes that's my problem too. i can manually move the steering wheel anywhere i want but when i enter the vehicle after it has fully gone to sleep it doesn't remember where i set it before. i did the volume knob reset but still same problem. it has to be a software thing right?
I think so too. Did you try pushing the memory button to see if this makes the steering wheel go to the memory position?

My problem was solved after reset. A shame that it didn't in yours. Did you do a small trip with your car to see if it is a battery charge problem?

Do the sidewalls of the back of your seat go in again. They "open" when I turn off the car and come back when I start again. Same principle as the steering wheel. You only notice this when you set them quite tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #18
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Nah. Just stopped working
oh jeez. well keep us posted. I hope it isn't a big issue and requires those parts from "Germany" on the "slow boat". I have no clue why mind does that grinding, but it can't be good. I assume you had no warning signs...it just stopped working...that is insane.
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      05-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #19
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think so too. Did you try pushing the memory button to see if this makes the steering wheel go to the memory position?

My problem was solved after reset. A shame that it didn't in yours. Did you do a small trip with your car to see if it is a battery charge problem?

Do the sidewalls of the back of your seat go in again. They "open" when I turn off the car and come back when I start again. Same principle as the steering wheel. You only notice this when you set them quite tight.
so tried the memory button yesterday and it did not adjust the steering wheel. The side walls i didn't notice a difference when opening the door but then again i don't keep them super tight. what is the theory you proposed on driving a bit to charge battery?

Weird thing is this morning i got into vehicle and everything adjusted normal including steering wheel. I feel like i still should keep my appointment though to have software updated as i feel it is related.

Thank you for taking time to help me btw!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so tried the memory button yesterday and it did not adjust the steering wheel. The side walls i didn't notice a difference when opening the door but then again i don't keep them super tight. what is the theory you proposed on driving a bit to charge battery?

Weird thing is this morning i got into vehicle and everything adjusted normal including steering wheel. I feel like i still should keep my appointment though to have software updated as i feel it is related.

Thank you for taking time to help me btw!
I thought I read somewhere in the other thread that it might be linked to a slightly low battery level.

It was a combined problem with the mirrors not folding and the steering wheel not coming out.

And I thought that maybe the automatic switching to hybrid mode could also be caused by a slightly lower 12V battery level.

It would make sense that it would switch off some less necessary functions. On the other hand you would probably receive a message.

Just some thinking of my own.

Good that your problem is solved. And if you take your car in anyway might be a good idea to do the upgrade.

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #21
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Electronic steering columns has been a consistent issue with X5s. On my F15, the electronic steering column would creak when extending or not extended at all requiring a push of the memory button. But these gremlins haven't required replacing the steering column.

My G05 has been creaking while extended the past two days then today stopped making noises and I usually drive it a couple of times every other day.

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #22
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Hey randybobandy , did you get this resolved?

My 2 month old G06 just started doing the same thing a couple of days ago when it turned hot for the first time here in Iowa. It's probably not quite as severe as you noted, but it's noticeable, especially if you put your hand on the wheel and feel the vibration.

I know that the steering column movement is electrical, but based upon the sound, how I'd describe it is that it sounds like a hydraulic cylinder operating with air bubbles in the line...the net effect is it causes the cylinder to extend/retract with a rapid percussive vibration...
Appreciate 0