Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & 2019 x7 xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Fantastic pictures man!

Quick question re: install:

1. How easy was wiring? Did you have to splice or do any additional wiring for the lights?

2. Do you recommend any tools to help pry the speaker covers?

I'm thinking of just replacing the HK covers cause I really like this lighting effect but I'm perfectly fine with the audio
Thank you.

Answers to your great questions:
1- Very easy, no splicing, no cutting at all. There are three or four different ambient light plugs to choose from, you gently pry one plug out and install the provided wire harness in series with the one you just unplugged, remember to not put any force on the door panel light plugs.

Attachment 2518245

2. T20 hex drive. Plastic pry tools. Long nose pliers. The covers were glued to the door panel with molded plastic, so you would need some different size wire cutters. I had to remove the light panels in order to be able to replace the original speaker covers. The covers come with screws and washers, so a Philips screw driver would be needed.

Attachment 2518252

You would not need to replace your original speakers. I had HiFi speakers, so had to upgrade. In total, it took me almost 5 hours to finish the project on two different days. I took my time to make sure not to break anything. The outcome satisfied me a lot, specially with the amp upgrade.
Let me know if you have any other question.
Is the HiFi speakers same as the Harmon Kardon?

Previous: 2015 X5 Graphite, |All options| - 2014 435i Xdrive Msport, |Fully Loaded|6MT|FBO|JB4|Front,side,rear lips/spoilers|- 2015 320i Xdrive, |Wife's beater| - 2008 535i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #134
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

hey everyone,
curious to know if anyone is aware....
I currently have HK system in the X5, but wanting to swap out the speakers for something even better. I read mixed reviews of Focal and Bav, but at the end of the day, I'd give either of them a shot but the price is a bit out there... so with that being said, what would be a good direct swap from HK to something else that would be compatible with the stock amp wiring?

I saw some posted pics of kicker/alpine speaker/tweeter setup and had good success, but at the same time, that was a HiFi user I think, not an HK, and he ended up putting in a new amp as well, which I want to avoid doing to keep the cost down but speaker sound to improve...

Let me know what you guys can share
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #135
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Can anyone who has the LED cover set installed with HK package, do the rear door tweeter grills light up too, or just a decorative grill?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 09:04 PM   #136
scott087
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Can anyone who has the LED cover set installed with HK package, do the rear door tweeter grills light up too, or just a decorative grill?
No, the rear tweeter grills don't light up. They don't either on the cars that come with B&W system. I did this install recently and have a few videos about drilling the rivets, if anyone wants I can upload them to YouTube if it's helpful.
Appreciate 1
Greg87611.00
      04-19-2022, 07:24 AM   #137
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

I would love to see the rivet video if you would consider posting on YouTube. I know this has been a hot topic in the past for so many-including myself and would find it very helpful. THank you
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 08:00 AM   #138
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

I think posting a video WOULD be helpful, but at the same time, there really is nothing to it.
You take a drillbit which fits snug into the center of the rivet and you just drill down with a little force and you let the bit do the eating of the plastic rivet. You put enough pressure to get through the rivet but not go through the plastic. A little force is all that is needed, once you see the plastic has been eaten through, you stop and check to see if that part of the grill can be lifted from the door (with your finger or fingernail). If yes, then you've succeeded, if not, you drill a little more for the bit to eat a little more of the plastic around, but rule of thumb is....once you see the grill screw hole, you can stop drilling and assess.

The bit size that I used was a 3/8, just make sure its a wood / general bit and not a concrete one.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2022, 08:20 AM   #139
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott087 View Post
No, the rear tweeter grills don't light up. They don't either on the cars that come with B&W system. I did this install recently and have a few videos about drilling the rivets, if anyone wants I can upload them to YouTube if it's helpful.
Please do. We would appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:15 AM   #140
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
I think posting a video WOULD be helpful, but at the same time, there really is nothing to it.
You take a drillbit which fits snug into the center of the rivet and you just drill down with a little force and you let the bit do the eating of the plastic rivet. You put enough pressure to get through the rivet but not go through the plastic. A little force is all that is needed, once you see the plastic has been eaten through, you stop and check to see if that part of the grill can be lifted from the door (with your finger or fingernail). If yes, then you've succeeded, if not, you drill a little more for the bit to eat a little more of the plastic around, but rule of thumb is....once you see the grill screw hole, you can stop drilling and assess.

The bit size that I used was a 3/8, just make sure its a wood / general bit and not a concrete one.
Hi Elite-fusion, wondering if you could upload some photos of how you installed the rear door tweeters on the X5 G05. I have bought new rear B&W door handle brackets with covers and bought the tweeters which will arrive next week but how are the rear tweeters held in place?

Do they clip into the back of the new door handle bracket like the front door tweeters do in there corner housing or are they a different design than the front tweeters? do I need to buy different tweeter or is there a separate bracket involved?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #141
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Hi Elite-fusion, wondering if you could upload some photos of how you installed the rear door tweeters on the X5 G05. I have bought new rear B&W door handle brackets with covers and bought the tweeters which will arrive next week but how are the rear tweeters held in place?

Do they clip into the back of the new door handle bracket like the front door tweeters do in there corner housing or are they a different design than the front tweeters? do I need to buy different tweeter or is there a separate bracket involved?
I only did the grill swaps on the front doors, not the back ones yet, nor any of the speaker replacements as of yet. I will be getting to it in another 2 weeks or so once everything comes in.

I can try to take a vid of how the grill covers come off amd back on, but cannot guarantee since I never really took videos of things I do lol
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #142
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6

X6 Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
My quick search shows no sign of speaker covers for your X6, I could have missed it, but I can't find any.
For the lights, it is all plug and play.

I found and X6 g06 Version but so much more expensive.

$1600
Appreciate 1
Greg87611.00
      05-30-2022, 08:07 PM   #143
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magas View Post
I found and X6 g06 Version but so much more expensive.

$1600
The X6 and x5x7 speaker covers are the same
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 05:25 PM   #144
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg876 View Post
The X6 and x5x7 speaker covers are the same
The speakers covers are different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:18 PM   #145
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can someone explain to me if I get a used HK amp will this be plug and play into my current HiFi unit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 07:30 PM   #146
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Can someone explain to me if I get a used HK amp will this be plug and play into my current HiFi unit?
Quote:
The part number for the center console is the same and I can bed the part number for the rest of the speaker numbers are the same too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 07:39 PM   #147
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
I did some more research and it seem you are right..... Well. The center speaker cover and the speaker cover for the tweeters are the same part number... However for the door covers the X6 part number only goes with the X6 g06 2019 to 2022
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:26 PM   #148
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got my kit for the G06!
Took about 3 weeks. Hopefully will install tomorrow.

Also upgraded the amp (Matchup) and speakers.
Appreciate 1
Greg87611.00
      06-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #149
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
[QUOTE=magas;29020410]Just got my kit for the G06!
Took about 3 weeks. Hopefully will install tomorrow.

Also upgraded the amp (Matchup) and speakers.

Let's see know how the installation process went.
Did you get it from AliExpress?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 12:58 AM   #150
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Quote:
You take a drill bit which fits snug into the center of the rivet and you just drill down with a little force and you let the bit do the eating of the plastic rivet. You put enough pressure to get through the rivet but not go through the plastic. A little force is all that is needed, once you see the plastic has been eaten through, you stop and check to see if that part of the grill can be lifted from the door (with your finger or fingernail). If yes, then you've succeeded, if not, you drill a little more for the bit to eat a little more of the plastic around, but rule of thumb is....once you see the grill screw hole, you can stop drilling and assess.

I did a minor upgrade to my baseline audio system as I am running on bit of a budget at this stage. I bought 3 used G05 HK 25w tweeters off eBay and exchanged them for the 10w BMW base tweeter speakers in the front door pillars and centre dashboard. The sound quality has improved to the point my wife actually noticed it LOL! Cost of upgrade 75USD

I then bought the rear door handles and tweeter covers off AliExpress (China Car Audio Store) for USD200 and used my old 2 10w front door tweeters which fitted perfectly. I plan to replace them with some higher quality ones in the future.
About the installation
1.Follow the BAV video at the beginning of this thread play it a few times until you are familiar with it then it becomes easy.
2.The B&W covers came fitted on the door handles and are very high quality and the name is spelt correctly. I would not be surprised if they come from the same factory as the OEM ones.
3. The door handles on the AliExpress web page shows they come fitted with the handle levers. This was not the case on my consignment which was not a problem as I used my original ones. The pin holding the lever/spring must be punched out using a small hammer and centre punch from the bottom of the old handle piece. I took a photograph of the spring location before I removed the pin so I could put it back correctly.
4. When you remove the lever there are 2 small rectangular rubber grommets you also need to remove carefully from the old handle. A dab of Vaseline on the rubber pin will assist in pulling them through from the other side of the new handle to seat them correctly. Do this before inserting the door lever/pin/spring.
5. There are 6 plastic spot welds plus 4 clip points and a screw that hold the door handle section in place against the main door panel. To remove the 6 plastic welds, I used a 4mm drill bit to loosen/ break the welds some were still intact so I increased the drill bit up to 6mm. I then used wire cutters to cut off the remaining excess plastic.
6. Carefully remove the ambient light tube before unclipping the old door handle from the door panel.
8. Remove the original trim from the back of the handle and clip it into the new one.
9. MOST IMPORTANT is now take the OEM clip cover that hides the T20 handle screw and test to see if it fits flush with the new non OEM handle. In both cases the clips on the OEM covers would not clip on to the back edge lip of both my new handles. I only found this out as after I screwed the one door panel back in place and ended up taking it off again.
10. To fix the above problem I sanded down the edge lips until I was satisfied the OEM clips were working as expected.
11. Mount speaker into the newly provided slot. I downloaded a photo from eBay of someone selling a rear door panel as a guide for the correct alignment of the speaker/wires.
(https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12510001...temCondition=4)
12.Place the new door handle in place using the 4 existing clip points. I did not use any additional screws in place of the 6 recently removed welds as the 4 clips plus screw at the end were in my opinion sufficient to hold it firmly against the door and surrounding panel trim.
13.Reinstall the ambient light wire/tube with care and clip in the speaker resistor into the allocated slot on the door panel below the newly installed handle section.
14.From previous experience removing door panels I have found it easier to apply a dab of Vaseline to the plastic clips before pressing the panel firmly to the metal door frame so if you ever have to take it off again they don't break as they become brittle with age.
15.Re fit door panel as per BAV video
Attached Images

Last edited by Bambazonke; 06-29-2022 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
Greg87611.00
      06-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #151
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Can anyone speak to the spelling of B&W on the aliexpress kit that folks have linked in this thread? I see some pics where it's spelled correctly and some where Wilkins is spelled Wlikins.

Is it confirmed that all those kits have the incorrect spelling? I wish it had no logo on them, but looks like that's not an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #152
boogysbmw
Noice
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX 50drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
Can anyone speak to the spelling of B&W on the aliexpress kit that folks have linked in this thread? I see some pics where it's spelled correctly and some where Wilkins is spelled Wlikins.

Is it confirmed that all those kits have the incorrect spelling? I wish it had no logo on them, but looks like that's not an option.
Mine were spelt correctly
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #153
boogysbmw
Noice
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX 50drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
you really should try it, its not that difficult! I spent about 6 hours yesterday and got it done, the car only has 800 miles so what The results are amazing!

someone will get a killer deal if you don't!
My tweeter and speaker lights don't shine nowhere near as bright as your image. Am a little disappointed in their lack of brightness compared to the rest of the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #154
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogysbmw View Post
My tweeter and speaker lights don't shine nowhere near as bright as your image. Am a little disappointed in their lack of brightness compared to the rest of the vehicle
I second this, but i think it may be the camera settings that boneca and whoever elses posted pictures of. Plus, depends on the speaker color inside the grills too. But mine are DULL lol
Appreciate 0