BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2023, 02:09 AM   #1
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

2024 X5M LCI - MBB - First Impressions

Finally, after what seem to take forever, the long awaited day has arrived.
Saturday afternoon (May 6th) I have taken delivery of my new 2024 X5M LCI, MBB with SS interior.
My build spec can be found here https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1999183

Here are my first impressions after driving her for about 100 miles along with some small issues I have encountered so far.

My overall impression is that this is, by far, the best car I have ever bought and owned (and the list is long). As a whole package I really think think this is one of the ultimate daily, given my personal situation (3 kids etc...). At the same time I also think it will delivery plenty of fun, spirited drives, enough to not make me want to get a sports
car for a while.

But here are some more detailed thoughts. Coming off a 2018 F85 which I traded-in for the F95, I am heavily going to compare the 2 cars. Keep in mind that I have never driven or rode in a F95 before.

As much as I enjoyed my F85 and at the time really though it was a great daily and had lots of fun driving it, it almost cannot be compared to this new LCI. I bought the F85 used, with low miles and where the previous owner didn't really take the best care of the car, and so obviously the experience is not the same, but still this F95 feels like a completely different vehicle, superior in every single category.
The F85 in comparison feels old and outdated, slower, less comfortable ride, and yes at times a bit flimsy in terms of build quality (creaks, trunk closing!, etc...).

The F95 is a complete different car.

My first driving impression is that this car is insanely fast, shockingly responsive and that I find myself having to really modulate and re-learn how to depress the go pedal. Even in reverse, a bit too much input and the car will pickup speed at a rate faster than pretty much anything I drove before.
Insane.

The car seem to want to go all the time. While in comfort, with the transmission in D1, you can cruise, but it feels almost like a caged animal that needs to be let loose. I personally love it. Feels much more like a sports car than it does an SUV. The F85 now feels very subdued in comparison.
They have done some very good improvements both in the engine responsiveness and transmission, which so far has been flawless. Gear shifts are very very quick and accompanied with a wonderful thud sound, faint but still present in D1/Comfort. In the F85, if not in sport, driving at about 45 mph, and flooring the gas would first take a bit for the car to downshift and then finally go, while sounding ok (no real downshift sound). Here the response is almost immediate and much more enjoyable.

Sound: Driving in comfort mode with the exhaust button active is the perfect daily soundtrack. A nice (fake) interior exhaust rumble which is more pronounced than in the F85, and not much else (keep in mind I am keeping her at or below 5K during break-in). Turning the exhaust button off, will reduce it, but I don't see myself ever having it off.
Thanks god this button remembers the last setting (more on this).

Sport or sport+: Complete different animal, for now.
First impression is how responsive the car becomes and how the sounds amplifies a bit. Then you start hearing the intoxicating burbles, which I think are fake sound piped in, but still wow, not too pronounced but makes it feel more like an exotic car. Also I mostly drove in D2/D3 while in sport and the shifts speed is even faster. Can't compare to anything else other than the F85, and it makes the older one feel like comparing the older single clutch SMG vs a DCT.
For me the sport/sport+ is so addicting that once the break-in is done, I can see myself using it at least once on every drive, if not more lol.

As you can tell I am absolutely in love with how this car drives and I haven't even begun to fully tap into the capabilities yet.
Just cruising around is so rewarding and fun.
It makes my old F85 feel like a 20 year old car.

Handling/Comfort: I haven't driven her hard yet, but I want to comment on comfort, especially for all those comments and video I have seen stating how stiff the ride is and how it might not make a good DD.
All these comments almost made me want to get the X5 M60i. So so glad I didn't listen

Here in the Bay Area, we don't necessarily have the best roads, and yet this car is:
One, way more comfortable, composed, sporty but also more refined drive feel than my F85.
Smoother, more luxurious and less bouncy than my wife's 2022 Chevy Tahoe.
My daughter's first reaction sums it up. First thing she said was: "wow this car drives so much smoother and less jarring than your previous one". She is used to a lowered F80, Tahoe and F85, and she said this one is the smoothest of the lot. Same reaction from my wife.
Haven't really tried sport suspension, but the ride in comfort it is perfect.
Very smooth, composed over bumps and imperfections and firm in terms of handling but not jarring.
Driving the same roads, on the F85, a bump on the road would be felt way more aggressively and you would have that feeling of slightly jumping up on the seat. This one soaks them up way better. Again please if you are thinking of getting one but hesitate because of the ride, please go test drive one first. If anyone in the Bay Area wants a ride along, PM me

Exterior styling and interior feel are obviously better appreciated in person, and personally I find the LCI quite stunning in person. Don't see many pre-LCI on the road, and I think that from a quick glance it would be hard to really distinguish the two, but when parked you start to appreciate the small changes.
So glad I went with MBB. First blue BMW (first blue car) and when the sun catches the right reflection this color is stunning. Glad I went with SS interior. Love the contrast and makes the car feel airier and perhaps even more spacious and dynamic that a dark interior.

IDrive 8: OK so I am a techie person, owned a Tesla Model 3 for a bit and I enjoy leaning new tech.
But here I do still feel quite overwhelmed, much more than the first time I owned ID6/7.
I don't dislike the lack of physical buttons yet, but adjusting climate control does take a bit more time for example. Not a big issue, but just something I never had to think about before.
Also I still feel like I have lots to learn and don't yet know where everything is without poking around for a second.
I do love the dash, screen and responsiveness of the system.
I do like the idea of having so many options, but it is overwhelming for now.
I think in a few months it is going to feel like second nature. I do find myself using the voice assistant (never had before in any car) and it does make changing the temperature much faster

Haven't tried any of the Active Cruise control features yet, so can't comment on that.

Issues so far:
- BIG ONE Auto Start/Stop:
Auto Start/Stop buttons does not seem to remember its last setting Yes the new hybrid makes it really really smooth, but still a huge pain for me.
I really dislike the auto start/stop feature and was really hoping that it would be like all other M cars. For now it seems that the only way to turn it off is to either manually push the button or put the car in sport mode. This is going to be a big one, and I guess might have to be coded hopefully.

- Digital Key+:
I have added the digital key to my phone and my apple watch. As much as I love the feature, every time I walk by the car in the garage, which sometimes is multiple times a day, the car will un-lock/lock.
Not sure if there's a solution (other than not wearing my watch or phone) and I guess I just have to live with it.

- Radio turning off:
Seems like I checked the setting to turn off the radio at the end of a trip when opening the door. But sometimes
it will not turn off until I lock the car or opening the passenger door. It could be related to when you turn off the car
or if you put it in park first. Still trying to figure that out.

- Silly:
The new keyfob is much improved, but the new tiny hole does not fit most key chain. I have this really cool custom M key chain wich I cannot use for now.

The car is getting dropped off next week for a front PPF, and paint correction and full ceramic coating using the new Ceramic Pro Ion.

After that I am hoping to quickly get to the 1200 miles and then fully enjoy this beast.

Now for the pictures. I will take better ones once the car is fully detailed. Also if you have any questions or specific things you want me to check feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer in a timely fashion.

And now for the pictures:
Attached Images

GordoCLM214.00
cmyx6go15761.00
AwesomeM31644.00
MM198422.50
1230vani652.50
boneca2000.50
Herofmine412.50
jo2134385.00
Ibiza3611.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-10-2023, 02:10 AM   #2
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick walk-around the car on delivery day:

GordoCLM214.00
MM198422.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-10-2023, 03:52 AM   #3
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
For the record, if I trade in my current G70 to get an X5M LCI, it will be because of your thread

Congratulations on this beast. Interesting to see that you have the same issues I have with my G70 in terms of the auto start/stop, idrive, digital key. I'm also curious to know how the hybrid system works with the car, as i'm currently testing an XM and i've noticed that on start-up the car automatically starts in hybrid mode, so wondering if the same is with the LCI X5M & X6M.
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 05:56 AM   #4
Mancunian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition GC

Looks stunning. I have the MBB on my M8, over Ivory White and Midnight Blue. You're right, the contrast in colours works very well.

I have ordered the M60i, mainly due to comfort (your thoughts on this are interesting) but also the price leap here in the UK to the full M car is simply not worth it for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you in the coming weeks!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Stunning!!! Love my '23 in MBB as well. I wish more people would listen on the ride, it's way overblown. I had a '22 m50i on 21" RFT and the ride was nearly identical from a harshness perspective and wasn't nearly as engaging.

Not a single person that's drive or ridden in my X5MC has thought it was too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

glad to know, just turning in our 2020 MBB X5M comp and waiting on our 2024 to arrive in July. the ride is a touch firm but not as bad as the F85 was and hoping the LCI F95 is even better but still able to handle as well as it does. curious to see how the mild hybrid boost helps off the line with the additional torque before the turbos spool up. let us know.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 11:57 AM   #7
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
For the record, if I trade in my current G70 to get an X5M LCI, it will be because of your thread

Congratulations on this beast. Interesting to see that you have the same issues I have with my G70 in terms of the auto start/stop, idrive, digital key. I'm also curious to know how the hybrid system works with the car, as i'm currently testing an XM and i've noticed that on start-up the car automatically starts in hybrid mode, so wondering if the same is with the LCI X5M & X6M.
Thanks and I think you won't be disappointed with an X5M, definitely a more dynamic ride than the G70. The hybrid system is not noticeable at all here, since it is not actually driving the engine, but from what I read attached to the tranny, so it should help the smoothness of start/stop and shifting, but since I didn't drive the pre-LCI, hard to compare.
Again since this is not an actual hybrid engine driving the powertrain, the car starts like a non-hybrid, but with Auto Start/Stop enabled.

The manual says that it can be disabled in the drive settings, but I don't see that option.
      05-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #8
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian101 View Post
Looks stunning. I have the MBB on my M8, over Ivory White and Midnight Blue. You're right, the contrast in colours works very well.

I have ordered the M60i, mainly due to comfort (your thoughts on this are interesting) but also the price leap here in the UK to the full M car is simply not worth it for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more from you in the coming weeks!

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
Stunning!!! Love my '23 in MBB as well. I wish more people would listen on the ride, it's way overblown. I had a '22 m50i on 21" RFT and the ride was nearly identical from a harshness perspective and wasn't nearly as engaging.

Not a single person that's drive or ridden in my X5MC has thought it was too stiff.
Thanks. Either this LCI is drastically improved from the pre-LCI in terms of ride harshness, or as you both say I am not sure how much more plush of a ride it really needs to be. Again way more comfortable than a full frame SUV, more compliant than my F85, yet super engaging and precise steering.
It obviously isn't like a Bentley, but again it is still an X5M. Honestly purely from the reviews, I was expecting a WAY WAY more punishing ride. Overall I really enjoy the ride perhaps as much as the engine and power delivery.
      05-10-2023, 12:04 PM   #9
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
glad to know, just turning in our 2020 MBB X5M comp and waiting on our 2024 to arrive in July. the ride is a touch firm but not as bad as the F85 was and hoping the LCI F95 is even better but still able to handle as well as it does. curious to see how the mild hybrid boost helps off the line with the additional torque before the turbos spool up. let us know.

Noushy
Congrats! Hard to tell if the hybrid helps since I have never driven the pre-LCI, but for now I can say that start/stop is the smoothest I have ever experienced, can't tell at all that the car turns on/off other than sound of the engine. Even then I still don't like that it does, I really don't see the point, especially for short drives like morning school drop-off, where turning the engine off for a total of like 1 minute really does that much to the mileage or environment?
      05-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #10
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

I do have a question. Anyone knows how to display something else in the dash, pictured below, other than the drivetrain mode? Like can I display the total miles?

(Pardon the dust, haven't had a chance to dust off and waiting for my detail/ceramic appointment to wash the car)
Attached Images

05-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #11
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

I believe radio turning off and the auto/start stop remembering can be easily coded with bimmercode for example.
      05-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #12
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
I believe radio turning off and the auto/start stop remembering can be easily coded with bimmercode for example.
I dont' think bimmercode works with iDrive 8 yet.
      05-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #13
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
Was hoping to avoid having to code anything for a while. Also as I mentioned in another thread, the manual states that the auto start can be disabled in the drivetrain and chassis setting, but I don't have that option under Driving settings.
      05-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #14
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Congrats!! Nice initial review. You also won the tire lottery with the Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 07:59 PM   #15
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Great writeup and very nice ride!! I've always loved MBB on the X5M and the contrast with the lighter interior is awesome
Appreciate 1
mencio397.50
      05-11-2023, 06:22 AM   #16
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
beautiful, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #17
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Was hoping to avoid having to code anything for a while. Also as I mentioned in another thread, the manual states that the auto start can be disabled in the drivetrain and chassis setting, but I don't have that option under Driving settings.
what about when you configure M1 and M2, is the option still there? I’m thinking that’s what they mean…
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:15 AM   #18
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisV View Post
what about when you configure M1 and M2, is the option still there? I’m thinking that’s what they mean…
Yes the option is available for M1 and M2 buttons. But the manual also states it can be done through iDrive, see attached photo. But when I go to Driving Settings I don’t see the Drivetrain and Chassis menu option. Going to ask the dealer when I go for the break-in service.
Attached Images

05-11-2023, 10:19 AM   #19
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Yes the option is available for M1 and M2 buttons. But the manual also states it can be done through iDrive, see attached photo. But when I go to Driving Settings I don’t see the Drivetrain and Chassis menu option. Going to ask the dealer when I go for the break-in service.
hmm interesting. so it’s not there at all when you go into app…definitely keep me posted on what dealer says
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:22 AM   #20
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisV View Post
hmm interesting. so it’s not there at all when you go into app…definitely keep me posted on what dealer says
It’s very puzzling. Even the iDrive manual inside the car says it should. Keep hoping that maybe the menu unlocks after the break-in service but doubt it. Hoping to hear from other X5M owners but not many have got theirs yet. Will keep you posted.
      05-11-2023, 10:25 AM   #21
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
awesome thanks! i was just in one this morning at my local dealer and was looking within settings but didn’t check via app. i’m gonna get someone there to do it today and i’ll report back.
Appreciate 1
mencio397.50
      05-11-2023, 10:55 AM   #22
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
I dont' think bimmercode works with iDrive 8 yet.
it should work already. Not sure about the X5M LCI though, I can test hopefully in couple of days when I take delivery.