BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
misticdxx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

DIY Front brake change Rotors and pads non-M sport

2020 X5 G05 xDrive40i Base brakes no Msport or Third row.

Front rotors from FCP Euro ZIM-150295620 x2 to take advantage of that lifetime warranty

Brake pads, Z23-2060 from Powerstop. FCP didn't have any ceramic options as I wanted ceramic for less dust and more gradual braking.

Sensors, SW-1690 x1 from Powerstop.

1)Jack up both front wheels on floor jacks.
2)Remove the caliper and and brake pads and rotors. I followed this link on YouTube

The OEM pads bmw used were Textar pads as shown in the picture. Do your research in what you want with your brakes, but semi metallic or ceramic are the most popular options for daily driving.

I'd recommend watching some Chris fix videos to learn some of the basics of brake change as well if you never done them.

3)I also used a wire brush to clean the hub after the rotor removal and the inside of the caliper where the four clips sit. I put some anti seize in the clips and anywhere there was metal to metal contact.
4)when replacing the pads back the left and right one are actually different. So align the pins to the two holes and it if it's off it'll be for the other side of the same caliper. Put ceramic brake grease on the ears and on the back of the pads.
5)put back everything in reverse and the metal pin that goes on the top, goes back in the same way it came out.
6)if you are doing the driver's side . Replace the wear sensor.

2 caliper bolts are torqued to 110 Nm
Wheels lug bolts are torqued to 140 Nm

SUPER CRUCIAL STEP
7) After everything is put back and torqued to spec. Go in the car and ENGAGE AND DISENGAGE the parking brake.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL.
What I did was I put the car in service mode by pressing the Start button 3 times, then engage the park brake and disengage. Then I pressed and held the brake pedal for 1 minute.
8)Bed in process, I did 30 -- 30mph to 5mph hard stops and then rolled on Drive for 6 minutes without pressing the brakes.

After bed in process, the brake feel in comparison to OEM is much better in my opinion. Yes the initial bite is not as hard as the OEM but it's like 95% there. But because the initial bite is not hard , the stopping is gradual it still bites but the harder you press the faster is stops . Coming to a stop there is absolutely no stutter or grinding sound like oem semi metallic pads. If you ever tried akebonos euro pads, it's very similar but bites a little harder.

I've attached some pictures

Hopefully this helps someone as I haven't seen any posts for the non Msport
Attached Images

06-29-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
davidRos
David R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i

I’ve thought about something when my 2021 stock parts are done. Let’s see some after pics !!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
misticdxx
Rep

After bedding

Picture of after bedding process. Everything looks good so far. Brakes feel great as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:55 AM   #4
mrkwinning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 M Sport

Great work on the brakes! How would you say brake dust is compared to OEM?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:30 PM   #5
misticdxx
Rep

Brake dust is very minimal after a few weeks of driving. The rear wheels which are still on OEM pads are building dust quicker than my front pads which do most of the braking.
Appreciate 1
slilley45.50
      09-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
Farroar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 xDrive40i

What was the part number for the rotor you used? I just attempted the same thing... but two things went wrong. One, I got the 36mm thick rotors that would not fit between the new pads (yes, pistons fully retracted)... so I guess I need the 30mm.

Second, didn't know about the brake reset item with the parking brake. I pressed the brake and everything went crazy. Stabilizer control disabled, brake malfunction, parking brake doesn't work. braking control is all weird.

Also, any idea on how to fix this error mess? Dealership the only way?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #7
Farroar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 xDrive40i

Just saw your note about the rotors at the top... whoops. Do you know if those are 30 or 36mm?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 08:49 PM   #8
misticdxx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farroar View Post
What was the part number for the rotor you used? I just attempted the same thing... but two things went wrong. One, I got the 36mm thick rotors that would not fit between the new pads (yes, pistons fully retracted)... so I guess I need the 30mm.

Second, didn't know about the brake reset item with the parking brake. I pressed the brake and everything went crazy. Stabilizer control disabled, brake malfunction, parking brake doesn't work. braking control is all weird.

Also, any idea on how to fix this error mess? Dealership the only way?

So I only did the front brakes as my rear brakes were still in good condition. And the part number I listed in the top is the correct part number for the rotors and pads of the regular base brakes (non M-sport).

The issue your describing comes from the rear brakes. When doing the rear brakes, there are specific steps that you need to take before retracting the caliper. I believe the order was park the car, do not engage the parking brake, then go into Bimmerlink (separate purchased app and need connector) then press the service mode to release the magnetic hold. then use a special caliper compressing tool that rotates and pushes back at the same time.

I'm not sure how to fix your issue when it already occurred. Maybe trying to clear the codes with Bimmerlink? but ultimately a run to the dealer if nothing else work.

Did you do all 4 brakes or just the rear?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 08:14 AM   #9
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticdxx View Post
So I only did the front brakes as my rear brakes were still in good condition. And the part number I listed in the top is the correct part number for the rotors and pads of the regular base brakes (non M-sport).

The issue your describing comes from the rear brakes. When doing the rear brakes, there are specific steps that you need to take before retracting the caliper. I believe the order was park the car, do not engage the parking brake, then go into Bimmerlink (separate purchased app and need connector) then press the service mode to release the magnetic hold. then use a special caliper compressing tool that rotates and pushes back at the same time.

I'm not sure how to fix your issue when it already occurred. Maybe trying to clear the codes with Bimmerlink? but ultimately a run to the dealer if nothing else work.

Did you do all 4 brakes or just the rear?
I did rear pads about a month ago. All you need to do is this:
1) engage and DISenage parking brake (little light off)

2) turn on service mode (3 clicks of start/stop)

3) use BimmerLink to turn on break service mode. You will hear motors unwind. You might get error message from BimmerLink but that’s ok as long as you heard the noise.

4) change pads like any other car compressing brake piston with any compression tool.

5) then use BimmerLink again to turn off break service mode.

6) engage/disengage parking break

It’s very simple.

Also in BimmerLink you “add” record of pads been serviced.
Appreciate 3
      11-12-2023, 08:13 PM   #10
Zoro85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 650i

Man I wish I saw this post before doing my front break pads smh I have 2019 X5 40i base brakes I saw the you tube video you attached but it ends after he decompress the pistons I had no clue of the “crucial step” of not pressing my brake before activating parking brakes now I have Christmas lights all on dash and brake malfunction warnings can someone please help me on resetting system I’d greatly appreciate it 🙏🏾
I’ve done brake pads on multiple cars before including my 650i never had this issue before
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #11
misticdxx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro85 View Post
Man I wish I saw this post before doing my front break pads smh I have 2019 X5 40i base brakes I saw the you tube video you attached but it ends after he decompress the pistons I had no clue of the “crucial step” of not pressing my brake before activating parking brakes now I have Christmas lights all on dash and brake malfunction warnings can someone please help me on resetting system I’d greatly appreciate it 🙏🏾
I’ve done brake pads on multiple cars before including my 650i never had this issue before
No guarantee but you can try to download Bimmerlink and try clearing all the error codes to see if it helps. In the TIS, it just says it enters emergency program if the parking brake is not engaged and disengaged before pressing the the brake pedal. Not sure what emergency program is.
Appreciate 1
Zoro854.50
      11-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #12
Zoro85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 650i

Thanks for the response I reset/clear all the codes and that fixed everything
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:18 PM   #13
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Love Do it Yourselfer...many things I have fixed myself thanks to posts like this one. Well done
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 07:27 AM   #14
lumbrjackedpcj
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB / 2022 X7 M50i

I just changed the front pads in my wife's 2020 X5 yesterday. As info, I couldn't take off the parking brake or reset the brake service alert until I started the car and drove off. When trying to reset it said "Reset Unsuccessful". After I drove, I stopped, shut the car off, went into diagnostic mode, and reset the brake service alert.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #15
misticdxx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro85 View Post
Thanks for the response I reset/clear all the codes and that fixed everything
Nice I'm glad clearing the codes fixed your issue. Did you use Bimmerlink to clear the codes and errors?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 03:23 PM   #16
boostin1004
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 m3 cab

appreciate listing all the part numbers.
Appreciate 0