BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2024, 09:06 PM   #1
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

trigger tail gate initialization?

i was installing magnetic paddle shifters and disconnected the battery (because airbag). had the tailgate open because it was easier to work that way. took about 20 minutes with the battery off. plugged it back in, pressed the close button on the tail gate, and it beeped at me and did nothing. tried the close button on the tail gate itself, same thing. so i manually closed the tailgate and then pressed the button on the hatch and it closed happily. thought nothing of it. then, i go driving and hear a really loud rattle from the trunk area. was definitely not there before, sounds as if the hatch is moving just enough to cause an audible plastic on plastic trim rattle.

so my thinking now is that maybe without running the initialization it's not seating as fully as it should? before i take it to the dealer i'd like to try it myself, and TIS explicitly says (when replacing the tail gate) that you need to run the initialization routine. I have ISTA but I use it on my E90 m3. Got it running with the X5, but I'm not seeing any scripts to run.

sooo... is there another way to trigger this initialization, or am I SOL and have to go to the dealer?

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:49 PM   #2
jonesy16
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530E xDrive, 2021 45e xD

Garage List
I would love to know as well because very often I'll have to try to close mine twice before it works. The lower tailgate just doesn't get going in time and it aborts and I thought I'd try an easy initialization first just to see but don't have much experience with ISTA to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 04:30 PM   #3
avito6237
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Hello,

I have 2019 G05 X5 40i. The lower tail gate does not automatically close - which means I cannot close the entire tail gate using any of the buttons. I have to manually close the lower tail gate first and then the top closes with the button.

Any idea how to fix this please?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #4
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avito6237 View Post
Hello,

I have 2019 G05 X5 40i. The lower tail gate does not automatically close - which means I cannot close the entire tail gate using any of the buttons. I have to manually close the lower tail gate first and then the top closes with the button.

Any idea how to fix this please?
The power strut inside the lower tail gate might have perished.
Appreciate 0