BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #1
gokcan
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 40i g05

G05 X5 Transfer Case Filling/Drain Hole is not Open

Hello, I encountered a problem while working on my 2019 X5 40i transfer case fluid change. The car is shaking while doing tight turns, slow speed turns.

After opening the drain plug, I tried to drain the old fluid but, the hose cannot pass some gears/obstacles. When I checked it with my hand, it does not let you pass inside where oil stays.

So, I decided to change the old fluid by adding some new into the case cause I couldn’t drain any.

This failed and all the new fluid could not be added to the case and new fluid directly drops to the drain pan.

What am I missing here to drain the old fluid and adding the new one? Should I follow any other procedure to open that hole?

Cause whatever I watched on Youtube, for transfer case oil change, they all can place the drain pipe inside the transfer case very easily.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 02:09 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I believe along with removing an underbody protection panel, the transmission cross member needs to be removed to gain access to the oil fill plug.
Appreciate 1
gokcan0.00
      03-23-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
gokcan
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 40i g05

That part is done. It is hard to reach but I believe it is not required to remove those. I can reach out to plug and can open it. The problem is, the hole itself is going nowhere. There is an obstacle inside I believe some gears. So, I can not send the extractor hose(even a smallest one) inside to extract/fill up fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:52 AM   #4
bloom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: none

Inside the transfer case are two oil chambers that are electronically controlled. You need ISTA to put the transfer case into service mode (opens the gates). This will let you remove all the fluid from the case. The software will then set the transfer case to recalibrate.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      03-30-2024, 02:32 PM   #5
gtx2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Inside the transfer case are two oil chambers that are electronically controlled. You need ISTA to put the transfer case into service mode (opens the gates). This will let you remove all the fluid from the case. The software will then set the transfer case to recalibrate.
Where about in ISTA? Could you please let us know a bit more details. Than you
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 03:30 PM   #6
gtx2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Found this under ISTA. Run service function transfer box VTG - oil change - ABL transfer box VTG : oil change. Once steps are followed as per instructions on every screen was able to get about 600ml oil out from transfer case.
Appreciate 1
maher116.00