BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2024, 12:10 AM   #1
glleon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Exclamation Coolant Leak - Water Pump

Hi,
I was driving my 2021 X5 with 55K miles when all of a sudden I feel and here a jolt from my engine, as if something broke off.

I immediately get a Power Supply warning and when I get home my coolant leaked all over the floor.

Dealer says my water pump failed. Isn't this unusual for 55K? Is there an underlying issue I should be concerned about and how do I know the engine wasn't compromised?

Anyone else have this experience?

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:22 AM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

How long of a drive between you see the power supply warming to home? Did the temp gauge ever go to red? Is coolant a leak, or more like rushing out?

Personally I think it mid rare to have water pump failed at 55k. It should last much longer. Having cooling system leak at 55k is not uncommon on bmws. What matter ks did the engine over heat. If you didn’t lose a lot of coolant and temperature gauge never reach red, engine should be ok.
      03-30-2024, 09:17 AM   #3
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glleon View Post
Hi,
I was driving my 2021 X5 with 55K miles when all of a sudden I feel and here a jolt from my engine, as if something broke off.

I immediately get a Power Supply warning and when I get home my coolant leaked all over the floor.

Dealer says my water pump failed. Isn't this unusual for 55K? Is there an underlying issue I should be concerned about and how do I know the engine wasn't compromised?

Anyone else have this experience?

Much appreciated.

Mine failed at just under 40k. Had it replaced under warranty. Also a '21
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:30 PM   #4
gfeiner97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X540i

I had a water pump fail around 40K on a 2012 X3 I once owned.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 07:50 PM   #5
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Mine is leaking and in the shop rn 89000kms. Out of warranty aug 2023, extended warranty to aug 2025 120000kms kicked in. Had a 55 point inspection done and it was noticed while up on a hoist.

I have to now research what kind of oil pump I have because I heard those can make the engine go bye bye very quickly. Something about them switching to ones with metal veins in 2020 but 2019s werent part of it. We shall have to see.

What makes matters worse is the giant mud guard at the bottom. Old world you started to see the drip before it failed from inspection of the garage floor. Now when it hits the floors its already too late.

I think above comments are true. You could ask for a compression test to be done on the engine or something of the sorts or at least maybe an extended warranty as you dont trust thieir service is protecting you from engine failure in the future? I mean now youre gonna mistrust the engine every hiccup because this is in the back of your mind. Totally not cool I get it. If the engine every gets really hot again like that turn it off and pump the hot hair on high will help cool it off a little bit faster.

Keep us updated, sorry about your luck dude.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #6
makeitbetter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xdrive40i

Dealer replaced my water pump under warrant before I purchased the car (CPO) @ 33k miles. I'm now smelling a bit of coolant after I shut the car off, wondering if it's leaking again.

2021 BMW xDrive40i
Appreciate 0