BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #23
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Car dropped off today - 4th time in 6 months, seals replaced the last time two weeks ago. SA just called and said they are replacing the sunroof frame. Part in on Friday, hope to have back following Wed. He did say an X4 had the same problem yesterday/same solution from BMWNA. Will update.
I'm glad they finally decided to do this. It's an expensive repair, that's probably why they wanted to try all the other solutions first. Your leak should be fixed after this
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2024, 10:15 AM   #24
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

Are you sure its the seals? - passenger microphone/door jamb/water on the all-weather mat. Points at the drains that run down, get blocked slightly and let water back up and sit in there - eventually leaking out into the car via exactly these places.

Have you tried slowly pouring water down the drain holes at the front of the sunroof? Water should be running out from under the wheel arches. It should be running out at the bottom, not slowly draining away. When BMW blow air down the pipes, it often doesn't clear at the blockage is usually right at the bottom of the drain and the air escapes way before that.

Mine were clogged on both sides and I used a very small and long wire snake brush cleaner down the drain. I took awhile to get it around the several bends, but I kept going and eventually the 2 metre long metal pipe cleared the blockage. When I poured water through the drain holes at the top, it was pouring out by the wheels. Once clear, I poured hot soapy water through the drain holes until all of the muck and gunk was gone and the water was running clean.

Don't expect BMW to follow the same procedure, they will blow air down it, replace the seals and say its all fixed...

Last edited by csm7djs; 04-04-2024 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:45 AM   #25
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
At this point I think they will need to drop the headliner to visually see what the issue is. Wondering if one of the drain tubes disconnected or ruptured
Some cars were having problems with the rear antenna leaking water travels
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:52 AM   #26
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Some cars were having problems with the rear antenna leaking water travels
I can say with near certainty that wasn’t the point of ingress for my car. while water leaks can be insidious, I can’t picture a route from the shark fin to above the front passenger seat as the headliner was completely dry aft of that seat. I also installed a carbon fiber shark fin cover over 3 years ago
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:56 AM   #27
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Water leaks are so annoying most likely it’s the drain tubes that rundown the pillars. They’ve probably got a kink on them. You’re gonna have to get them to take them out and install new ones. Something is small Particle can clog these up
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:11 PM   #28
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Update -

Sunroof replaced. Upon taking down the headliner they ‘evidently’ noticed a crack in the cassette frame. 10hrs labor (warranty).
Has not yet rained so we will just wait and see…and I’ll certainly update if it starts leaking again…
Appreciate 4
slilley47.00
nZtiZia4663.50
      04-17-2024, 07:37 AM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Update -

Sunroof replaced. Upon taking down the headliner they ‘evidently’ noticed a crack in the cassette frame. 10hrs labor (warranty).
Has not yet rained so we will just wait and see…and I’ll certainly update if it starts leaking again…
Do you know where the crack was? I'd like to inspect mine in that area. Could you use this diagram to explain?

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4663.50
      04-17-2024, 06:36 PM   #30
bandersen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Do you know where the crack was? I'd like to inspect mine in that area. Could you use this diagram to explain?

Marty, it wasn’t my regular service advisor, so the service advisor I picked it up said the crack was in the rear, and that’s all I know. Sorry I didn’t get more details for the group.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:37 AM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Marty, it wasn’t my regular service advisor, so the service advisor I picked it up said the crack was in the rear, and that’s all I know. Sorry I didn’t get more details for the group.
That's ok, it is what it is. Being in the rear makes it almost impossible to see without removing it which none of us would do anyway. I think I recall a few others saying they also had a crack and had to have it replaced. That's why I was asking as I'm wondering if this will become a trend with age.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:11 PM   #32
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
got my car back today after warranty replacement of the weather stripping and clearance of the drain tubes. they ran water on the sunroof for 2h without any leaking noted. hopefully a repeat incident won’t occur and find the frame is an issue as they did not inspect for it even after I mentioned it to them at drop-off
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2024, 06:54 AM   #33
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
anyone else gonna start clearing the drain tubes as DIY maintenance? my SA said every 2 years should suffice
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:39 AM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
anyone else gonna start clearing the drain tubes as DIY maintenance? my SA said every 2 years should suffice
How did they clear them?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 07:44 AM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
How did they clear them?
I didn’t ask. maybe a combination of compressed air and a pipe cleaner of sorts?

my SA showed me their list of common service items outside of warranty (so they have the equipment necessary), clearing drain tubes being one of them at a cost of $130 (though he got mine covered under warranty)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 08:42 AM   #36
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t ask. maybe a combination of compressed air and a pipe cleaner of sorts?

my SA showed me their list of common service items outside of warranty (so they have the equipment necessary), clearing drain tubes being one of them at a cost of $130 (though he got mine covered under warranty)
My brother in law was complaining that there was a big puddle of water in the passenger footwell of his Ford Flex but could not find where/how it got there. The headliner was dry, the dash was dry, the passenger door seals were dry, the sunroof drains were working, we were puzzled. I did a search and found a YT video with the same symptoms....there are drains under the cowl at the base of the windshield so when it rains, water can escape but if those drains are plugged, water will build up to a point where it gets into the fresh air intake and flows down through the cabin air fan and into the passenger footwell.

When I took the cowl off his car I could see the water pool, wish I had taken a pic of it cause it was a LOT of water sitting in there. Here's a pic of what the drains looked like after we sucked the water out. The drain holes are about 1" x 2" in size and were completely plugged with years of debris that had decayed and become quite hard and packed.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4663.50
      04-19-2024, 10:42 AM   #37
bandersen
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I’ll be having mine blown out every two years going forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:19 AM   #38
MarioW
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 m60i

Hi in attachment tbs from bmw how to solve your problem
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10206684-9999.pdf (2.06 MB, 20 views)
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4663.50
slilley47.00