BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
2013F10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi

Oil level measurement not completing

I bought a 2019 X5 40i with 37k miles a week ago and checked the oil level a few times with no issues. I ran Bimmercode to make a few small changes like disabling auto stop/start, etc. and soon after the oil level measurement began to fail. I used Bimmercode to return the headunit back to stock (removing my changes) and the oil level measurement worked a few times and now will not proceed past 20-30%. It fails and returns to the oil level screen.

I just changed the oil so I know the oil level is good, but am really worried having read posts about this indicating a bad oil pump (a $4k repair). I don't have a warranty. I'm going to use BimmerLink to check the oil pressure while the measurement is going and see if there are problems there. Will update this post but appreciate any feedback.

Update: The oil level measurement works when the oil is just warm enough for the test to run, but not when the engine is at full operating temp. When it works the oil pressure is 40psi at idle and 47-48psi while the test is running. The fact that the measurement working depends on oil temp tells me it might be an oil pump issue.

Last edited by 2013F10; 06-12-2023 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 08:46 PM   #2
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

I have the same issue. Oil pressure seems fine, but I cannot measure the oil at all times, only at very specific oil temperatures it seems. Not sure either if the pump is failing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 04:41 PM   #3
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013F10 View Post
I bought a 2019 X5 40i with 37k miles a week ago and checked the oil level a few times with no issues. I ran Bimmercode to make a few small changes like disabling auto stop/start, etc. and soon after the oil level measurement began to fail. I used Bimmercode to return the headunit back to stock (removing my changes) and the oil level measurement worked a few times and now will not proceed past 20-30%. It fails and returns to the oil level screen.

I just changed the oil so I know the oil level is good, but am really worried having read posts about this indicating a bad oil pump (a $4k repair). I don't have a warranty. I'm going to use BimmerLink to check the oil pressure while the measurement is going and see if there are problems there. Will update this post but appreciate any feedback.

Update: The oil level measurement works when the oil is just warm enough for the test to run, but not when the engine is at full operating temp. When it works the oil pressure is 40psi at idle and 47-48psi while the test is running. The fact that the measurement working depends on oil temp tells me it might be an oil pump issue.
This behavior exactly describes the oil pump failure symptoms. You can buy a warranty and then wait 90 days or so to get it fixed. The warranty would basically pay for itself on that repair alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
X5X4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 330i

New member with 2019 X5 40i that's in the shop now. Same issue; oil measurement stopping at or before 20%. Replacing the sensor did not fix the issue and after further diagnosis, the oil pump needs replaced. Thought is was a little odd, but after doing a little digging, it seems the 2019 B58 used a pump with plastic impellers & veins (and/or plastic housing). This was remedied starting in 2020 by using an all-metal pump (used in the M series). The plastic deteriorates and creates a loss of pressure.

How it relates to oil measurement: If the sensor detects pressure fluctuation to a certain degree, the test is canceled. Fortunately, I'm under warranty and it's being taken care of. For anyone who's not getting a successful measurement and replacing the sensor doesn't solve the issue, I'd look at the pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5X4 View Post
New member with 2019 X5 40i that's in the shop now. Same issue; oil measurement stopping at or before 20%. Replacing the sensor did not fix the issue and after further diagnosis, the oil pump needs replaced. Thought is was a little odd, but after doing a little digging, it seems the 2019 B58 used a pump with plastic impellers & veins (and/or plastic housing). This was remedied starting in 2020 by using an all-metal pump (used in the M series). The plastic deteriorates and creates a loss of pressure.

How it relates to oil measurement: If the sensor detects pressure fluctuation to a certain degree, the test is canceled. Fortunately, I'm under warranty and it's being taken care of. For anyone who's not getting a successful measurement and replacing the sensor doesn't solve the issue, I'd look at the pump.
Damn, this really sucks. B58 also has timing chain on the backside. I really think either engine or transmission needs to come off, remove flex plate, to gain access the chain sprocket for oil pump. Such a labor intensive job for a relatively cheap part.
      12-13-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
X5X4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Damn, this really sucks. B58 also has timing chain on the backside. I really think either engine or transmission needs to come off, remove flex plate, to gain access the chain sprocket for oil pump. Such a labor intensive job for a relatively cheap part.
You are absolutely correct regarding the labor involved!

After three weeks, it finally came out of the shop with a nearly $6k invoice (that I did not have to pay, thanks to warranty). I was also happy to verify the numbers on the pump matched that of the all-metal updated pump. As of this writing, all is working well, no issues, oil measurements coming in, and because the oil had to be drained, an oil/filter change (oh yeah, and a new sensor). Fingers crossed anyone having this issue also has a warranty. It's an expensive out-of-pocket repair for a simple oil pump replacement.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      12-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #7
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

I am encountering the same issue on my 2019 at 51k miles. Definitely a defect that should be addressed by BMW.

Anyway, from what I can tell, the repair involves removing the front suspension subframe and axles so that the oil pan can be removed. Oil pump can then be swapped, and everything put back together. Not a small job for sure!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dealer replaced my oil pump. The issue is the fluctuation of pressure. If the pressure goes above 45 PSIG the test just stops itself as the pressure is OOL.

With the old pump (factory one) the pressure would go has high as 47 PSIG and if it stayed there the test would quit at around 21 percent.

With the new pump, the pressure even at idle is much lower and during the test it may go up to 44-45 for a minute time, but its on average around 43 PSIG.

My factory pump did not appear to have plastic inside based on the color and feel, but I could be wrong. Some folks on the internet have show actual broken pumps, and the broken area appears to be a black plastic, my factory one, as with the new one was more silverish. Both new and old pump looked pretty similar (I looked at both while being replaced at the dealer).

I hope the issue is resolved for the long run. It appears find for the last 3 or 4K that the service was performed.
Appreciate 1
cwlo83.50
      12-17-2023, 11:15 AM   #9
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Actually the transmission does not have to come off. The engine has to be supported from the top. The subframe is removed. The old pan comes off and the pump can be changed.
Appreciate 2
eelnoraa2032.50
cwlo83.50