BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #89
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I have upgraded all speakers to Focal Inside and at this point I dont think I need to upgrade the amp. As I have mentioned in previous posts the sound difference is very significant. I did order the illuminated B&W covers though, only for the visual effects.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #90
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
I have the HK speakers since I upgraded mine to Focal's. There is a big difference in the build quality between HK and base HiFi.

Here is what the HK from my X5 looked like. Someone posted what the base HiFi look like…
Are you selling them?
Sure. If you make me an offer. Why not!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #91
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Well, that's not really true though - this is a direct quote from the BavSound website regarding the stage one upgrade kit:

"Yes, the Stage One really does work and make a dramatic difference in overall sound quality, clarity, and performance, regardless of the type of audio system your BMW was equipped with from the factory (even your "premium" system). […] So no matter which audio system you have in your BMW, the Stage One yields incredible results."

I MAY have found someone who's willing to install the S1 kit for me, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot myself in a couple of weeks and see how my own ears are going to like it
It is all relative. I think most of us can agree that HIFI sucks.... What we replace it and is better is debatable. I had a HIFI G05 and it sounded much better IMO but I had to turn the volume up to about 70% before feeling anything since the amp is underwhelming. In my HK G05 with a more powerful amp, it was better, but it took me cranking up before I felt the difference. In my G20 HiFI, anything was better than the paper cones that came with it.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #92
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

So, I finally found someone who would install a BavSound Stage One kit on my 45e with base HiFi.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I am no audiophile or anything, but from the viewpoint of someone who loves listening to rock and metal bands - oh man, to ME just replacing the speakers and the tweeters made a huge difference for the better.

Not sure how to accurately describe it in words but the sound is "rounder", richer, deeper, crisper, with greater clarity. Once again, to me there is no comparison to the tinny, distortion-prone sound of the base hi-fi system which, as many have already noted, should honestly not even be offered in any BMW as it is clearly inadequate to the profile of the brand. I understand all the supply chain issues, but is this really the best they could come up with?

At any rate, for my needs the BavSound kit (which I bought pre-price bump from forum member GT Sport - great service) provided a noticeable and welcome improvement at an accessible price point.

Just wanted to share my own impressions about BavSound and throw in my 2 cents.
Appreciate 5
      11-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #93
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
So, I finally found someone who would install a BavSound Stage One kit on my 45e with base HiFi.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I am no audiophile or anything, but from the viewpoint of someone who loves listening to rock and metal bands - oh man, to ME just replacing the speakers and the tweeters made a huge difference for the better.

Not sure how to accurately describe it in words but the sound is "rounder", richer, deeper, crisper, with greater clarity. Once again, to me there is no comparison to the tinny, distortion-prone sound of the base hi-fi system which, as many have already noted, should honestly not even be offered in any BMW as it is clearly inadequate to the profile of the brand. I understand all the supply chain issues, but is this really the best they could come up with?

At any rate, for my needs the BavSound kit (which I bought pre-price bump from forum member GT Sport - great service) provided a noticeable and welcome improvement at an accessible price point.

Glad you felt the same bro. I really like the strings and bass. This thing is so much more enjoyable. Like the HiFi, you will get some more improvement when the speakers settle.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2021, 06:43 PM   #94
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Glad you felt the same bro. I really like the strings and bass. This thing is so much more enjoyable. Like the HiFi, you will get some more improvement when the speakers settle.
100% man: the bass are so much richer, makes a huge difference and makes you enjoy those songs the way they are meant to!

I'm looking forward to getting past the "break-in" period for those new speakers because quite honestly I have been impressed with their performance right out of the box!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #95
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
100% man: the bass are so much richer, makes a huge difference and makes you enjoy those songs the way they are meant to!

I'm looking forward to getting past the "break-in" period for those new speakers because quite honestly I have been impressed with their performance right out of the box!
Glad to hear this, thanks for the update! Mine also has the hifi system and I bought the Bavsound speakers and have yet to install them. Was sorta on the fence...but I'm gonna go ahead with it now...you sold me...lol...
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #96
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Quote:

How much was the install?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #97
Shortside
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

To those happy with the BavSound upgrade on the Base HiFi system. Did you just get the Stage One upgrade or did you also add the Ghost Woofer? TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #98
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Quote:

How much was the install?
$300
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:53 AM   #99
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortside View Post
To those happy with the BavSound upgrade on the Base HiFi system. Did you just get the Stage One upgrade or did you also add the Ghost Woofer? TIA
I only did the Stage One upgrade.

I spoke to Justin at BavSound (who BTW provides excellent customer service and is super responsive) and he told me that the install of their subwoofer is more complex as removing the stock subwoofer is complicated - apparently there is a lot of lot of glue to remove and a risk of breaking the housing, so I didn't want to go through that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 06:52 AM   #100
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortside View Post
I only did the Stage One upgrade.

I spoke to Justin at BavSound (who BTW provides excellent customer service and is super responsive) and he told me that the install of their subwoofer is more complex as removing the stock subwoofer is complicated - apparently there is a lot of lot of glue to remove and a risk of breaking the housing, so I didn't want to go through that.
Also, without an amp upgrade upgrading the subs might not be worth it.

For anyone with the base HiFi, upgrading the mids and tweeters is so worth it, you'll be glad you did. Even if you have HK, upgrading the mid woofers are so worth it. The improvement in clarity is the biggest difference to me. I have now experienced the base HiFi on X5, X3 and 3 series on multiple loaners and they sound the worst on the X5! The most expensive of the 3. I am assuming the X5 was not really intended to be sold with the base HiFi system.

You don't have to be an audiophile at all to notice the difference. To me it is a material improvement in enjoying the X5 everytime I get into it! It's a bigger improvement than getting a leather dashboard or going from Vernasca to Merino etc…so really big. My 2 cents worth.

Last edited by FCX5; 11-02-2021 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #101
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_carol View Post
Was sorta on the fence...but I'm gonna go ahead with it now...you sold me...lol...
What? You trust him more than me? Go for it man. You have 100 days to try out.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
You don't have to be an audiophile at all to notice the difference.
I was already sold when only the rears and center were in place. I remember seeing some posts about "some being over excited". Maybe some expectation is not realistic but I can hear the difference night and day.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #102
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:

But will it make the opening song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse sound better?

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.11.07 AM.png
Views: 416
Size:  182.4 KB
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #103
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

The Bavsound speakers are clearly a big improvement over the OEM speakers. The only people that dis them are the Focal fanboi's.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #104
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post

Attachment 2733736
Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggety dog!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #105
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba_balla View Post
Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggety dog!!!
LOL ahhhhhhh that songggg
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #106
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

[QUOTE=10101X5;28208784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_carol View Post
Was sorta on the fence...but I'm gonna go ahead with it now...you sold me...lol...
What? You trust him more than me? Go for it man. You have 100 days to try out.

Lol...my bad, I'm getting advice from everyone on this post, actually. I appreciate it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #107
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:

Attachment 2733736
Hahaha!!! 100% improvement guaranteed, you will be able to savor even its subtlest nuances…

Been there, done that my friend, not to mention freakin' Little Einstein's (not sure they are a thing anymore)…
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #108
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
The Bavsound speakers are clearly a big improvement over the OEM speakers. The only people that dis them are the Focal fanboi's.
Hey, I have Focal's in my car. LOL. I think they sound really good. But I am pretty sure Bavsound is also very good.

The build quality of the Bavsounds is significantly better than the HiFi or even HK speakers. Also, with the base HiFi amp, the Focal's might be overkill. Also, from what the tech I spoke to (who has done both Bavsound and Focal upgrades) said the Bavsound speakers are more efficient, in that they can be played louder than the Focal's. With the base amp, that is a factor to bear in mind.

Focals all around with HK amp ends up costing about the same as B&W unless one can procure the Focal's from eBay at a discount.
Appreciate 2
5pacey56.00
      11-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #109
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

With my original post...didn't think I'd get this response...
Update -
Three weeks into it/over 20 hours..still 'underwhelmed'. And, as I said - I am not an audio guy....maybe I just don't know what I need, but when I see an old POS Civic driving by, blaring something out the open window, I know I can't complete.
Again - I had BavSound stage 1 + the subwoofers installed (Justin at BavSound was extremely helpful, and correct on the subwoofer install (watch the YouTube) - hence I took it to a radio shop).
The speakers 'feel', and look night and day better than the POS that BMW installed. Heavy weighted/vs cheap. I think now though I'll go with the Match7 Amp...which I was thinking of actually doing myself, however it looks like the MY22 amp placement in the rear is different from previous years/more tricky for a newbie like me to install....
Nothing else to report....but if they work for you - congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #110
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
With my original post...didn't think I'd get this response...
Update -
Three weeks into it/over 20 hours..still 'underwhelmed'. And, as I said - I am not an audio guy....maybe I just don't know what I need, but when I see an old POS Civic driving by, blaring something out the open window, I know I can't complete.
Again - I had BavSound stage 1 + the subwoofers installed (Justin at BavSound was extremely helpful, and correct on the subwoofer install (watch the YouTube) - hence I took it to a radio shop).
The speakers 'feel', and look night and day better than the POS that BMW installed. Heavy weighted/vs cheap. I think now though I'll go with the Match7 Amp...which I was thinking of actually doing myself, however it looks like the MY22 amp placement in the rear is different from previous years/more tricky for a newbie like me to install....
Nothing else to report....but if they work for you - congrats!
To be fair, loudness and sound quality, though related, shouldn't be lumped together. I would bet that the sound coming out of your speakers more closely resembles what the artist intended, compared to the Civic blasting his music so everyone in a three block radius can hear it.
Appreciate 1