BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #529
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
I hear you and I think we are just going to agree to disagree but just out of curiosity I did submit an appraisal request for my 45e on Vroom (Carvana does not have 45e in their system yet) and I will report back when they send me an offer.
Received my Vroom offer for $51k this morning and they have historically been lower than Carvana for me with other makes and models. Doubtless a BMW dealer that can sell the car as certified pre-owned can offer couple of thousands higher than both Carvana and Vroom so about 20% off MSRP seems to be the first year depreciation for both the 40i and 45e when optioned lightly...
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18201.00
      10-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #530
AlexG05be
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
@Rparker: They will make Samsung (i.e. the manufacturer of the batteries) pay for it.
Seems obvious Samsung will have to pay (or their insurance)... So why bother testing and frustrating customers with the long wait if you have enough supply and swapping batteries only takes 2 hours at the dealership?

Have an appointment at the dealer for winter kit installation on the temporary car. Will check if they have some news.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #531
Ramakay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CX-7 => X5

*Update*

I was able to speak to my dealer, who spoke with the service manager and they determined that my VIN was not in the recall even though I was sent the first class mail.

To be doubly sure, i called BMW customer relations and after a brief hold, the person on the call was able to confirm, I had no open recalls.

So why mass mail everyone, no one knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #532
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
@Rparker: They will make Samsung (i.e. the manufacturer of the batteries) pay for it.
Galaxy Note X5
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13714.50
      10-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #533
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
@KRS_SN: So do I - or could you propose a superior course of action to BMW?
nope
bmw don't know if the replacement batteries will catch fire or not!
so for the next year or 2 they will get a true picture and then rectify cars properly once they have a solid body of evidence from many cars sold some of which could become faulty.
Until then they will do the basic minimum not to fall foul of the regulatory bodies such as test batteries etc.
What it does show is that the battery is a faliure prone consumable and one should account for replacing it down the line.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18201.00
volodp199.50
      10-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #534
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
BMW makes great engines and good cars. For saving a few tax $$for you and for protecting itself from punitive Green fines bmw has had to order batteries from Samsung and other 3rd parties.
The fiasco is as much about your greed as BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #535
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
bmw doesn't know if the replacement batteries will catch fire or not!
so for the next year or 2 they will get a true picture and then rectify cars properly once they have a solid body of evidence from many cars sold some of which could become faulty.
Until then they will do the basic minimum not to fall foul of the regulatory bodies such as test batteries etc.
What it does show is that the battery is a faliure prone consumable and one should account for replacing it down the line.
This is exactly why we pulled the plug on our order - risk that:

(1.) More "do not use" campaigns
(2.) Ongoing hassle with replacements - what if they have problems? Or the workmanship does?
(3.) Downtime while you drive a rental even though you paid for an X5
(4.) What if the 8 year warranty doesn't transfer ownership?
(5.) Reputational risk

Broadly speaking, if you're in a place where you can while BMW gets it's shit together around this vehicle, even if the problems are ongoing, then it's probably not a bad buy; but if you're looking for no-hassle luxury this probably isn't the vehicle to get.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13714.50
      10-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #536
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Outside of the US, the X5 45e has been on sale for over two years with no widespread issues of problems. The US version has only minor changes from those sold outside of the US (mostly lights). So, in reality, the X5 45e is not a new model for BMW. This is (hopefully) a one-time vendor issue that everyone is trying to rectify of a certain batch where the things were contaminated. How many food recalls do you see over a year from contamination? Are you going to stop buying lettuce, chicken, or ground beef and similar things?

With the complexity of today's vehicles, it's sort of a miracle that there are not more problems. FWIW, last I checked, Tesla had the highest recall/repair cost in the industry by a wide margin, but that doesn't seem to stop many people from buying their vehicles. BMW was down among the least cost/problems per vehicle. More than one Tesla has burnt up.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #537
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I've got a Tesla. I'm still keeping my 45e order. I'm not concerned.

People make a bigger deal out of battery fires than it warrants. They're harder to put out, but it doesn't mean that there are a ton of fires.

Just do a search on gas engine fires. Just going from GM trucks alone, there are hundreds of thousands of recalled trucks for fire risks basically every year it seems. I remember one from a few years ago but when I googled, nope, turns out there have been tons of recalls even more recently for fire risks caused by different things from the one I was thinking about.
Appreciate 3
X5 45e1090.50
biterror524.50
      10-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #538
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Outside of the US, the X5 45e has been on sale for over two years with no widespread issues of problems.
Just one year now for the X5.

In the 745e since 02/2019

But that doesn't make a difference for the rest of your reasoning of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #539
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

For someone who is driving a diesel car, Petrol heads mainly what this forum is about can argue the same for not going petrol for your last two diesel X5s, after all diesel was always inferior to petrol and the only positive argument for a diesel engine is saving fuel costs, so is it fair to apply as a diesel driver you being greedy for quite some time.
The new 45e with six pot petrol with the added support of the electric is simply in my opinion genius! But don’t take my word for it check Harry’s garage video

The 45e will be our second Hybrid, for the last 3 years our 40e performed fine, with not a single problem, and as a keen driver, the power was a bliss for everyday driving, so when the 45e come up with the six pot petrol engine, it was a no brainer not to go back to diesel.
Chill we are all here to enjoy our experience with our pride and joy BM’s

Quote:
BMW makes great engines and good cars. For saving a few tax $$for you and for protecting itself from punitive Green fines bmw has had to order batteries from Samsung and other 3rd parties.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #540
Rparker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy11220 View Post
Can confirm this is exactly what my dealer told me. The test process is not happening and Munich is trying to source replacement batteries asap. The repair (swapping of the pack) can be done on site at the dealer's garage and supposedly only takes 2hrs.
Are there more people from the European countries in here that have received the same information from their dealers in the last 24 hrs?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #541
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
For someone who is driving a diesel car, Petrol heads mainly what this forum is about can argue the same for not going petrol for your last two diesel X5s, after all diesel was always inferior to petrol and the only positive argument for a diesel engine is saving fuel costs, so is it fair to apply as a diesel driver you being greedy for quite some time.
The new 45e with six pot petrol with the added support of the electric is simply in my opinion genius! But don't take my word for it check Harry's garage video

The 45e will be our second Hybrid, for the last 3 years our 40e performed fine, with not a single problem, and as a keen driver, the power was a bliss for everyday driving, so when the 45e come up with the six pot petrol engine, it was a no brainer not to go back to diesel.
Chill we are all here to enjoy our experience with our pride and joy BM's

Quote:

my f15 30d is 7 years old now and apart from an egr cooler(cheap part) replaced FOC by BMW has been solid.
I'm in the UK and petrol X5's are very rare and costly to run and poorer resale value here so not going there.

Yes I'm greedy but not that greedy as see I could have gone for an m50d but didn't as understand more complexity =more faliure as I plan to keep the G05 for 7-10 years till an EV/PHEV/hydrogen/nuclear whatever but tested and tried alternative appears.

Besides that a big truck like the X5 benefits from a diesel torquey poke.I love my G05 30d x5 sure will love a 45e too once I know it is reliable as in 3 years time my f15 will be 10 years old and I will chop it in for another X5 or X7 so I watch this thread keenly thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #542
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
bmw doesn't know if the replacement batteries will catch fire or not!
This is exactly why we pulled the plug on our order - risk that:

(1.) More "do not use" campaigns
(2.) Ongoing hassle with replacements - what if they have problems? Or the workmanship does?
(3.) Downtime while you drive a rental even though you paid for an X5
(4.) What if the 8 year warranty doesn't transfer ownership?
(5.) Reputational risk

Broadly speaking, if you're in a place where you can while BMW gets it's shit together around this vehicle, even if the problems are ongoing, then it's probably not a bad buy; but if you're looking for no-hassle luxury this probably isn't the vehicle to get.
yes.
at this price point a few extra ponies or 40 miles of free driving shouldn't be enough enticement to put up with inconvenience and anxiety and reliability worries.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #543
menace33
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb27 View Post
Im also going for all the badges in black btw :-) and some spacers on the wheels and.....probably a modified exhaust from Heinz.... :-)

Is there anyone you can buy black badges from or you are going to buy silver ones and paint them?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #544
stevieb27
Private
Belgium
Rep

I am personally getting mine coated!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #545
Tom dew
Belgium
Rep

You Know what I think...When our cars are ready for delivery after the recall... There will be a lockdown in Belgium and we still won't get our cars...
F..king covid
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #546
stevieb27
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dew View Post
You Know what I think...When our cars are ready for delivery after the recall... There will be a lockdown in Belgium and we still won't get our cars...
F..king covid
You know, I was just discussing the exact same thing today with a friend!
After all this waiting, the cars will be sent to ZeeBrugge..and then the country will go into lockdown!!
You can see it coming....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #547
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace33 View Post
Is there anyone you can buy black badges from or you are going to buy silver ones and paint them?
Quote:
I am personally getting mine coated!
I know you guys are European, but there are a few places that sell painted badges. They're expensive tho. The most legit company sells just the X5 badge for $100 (co called IND). I asked two of the ppf/tint installers I use and their cost to do it (wrap, paint, whatever) is about the same or they didn't want to do it unless I was painting something else (like wheels). The eBay/Amazon/Ali Express stuff doesn't look anything close to OEM unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #548
Rparker
Private
Rep

Quote:
You know, I was just discussing the exact same thing today with a friend!
After all this waiting, the cars will be sent to ZeeBrugge..and then the country will go into lockdown!!
You can see it coming....
That's f.... hilarious, not sure why I am laughing but this is a big joke guys. We clearly did not win the lottery none of us. You and Tom Dew are probably right in your assumptions. You can see it's coming on the horizon. For quite some time I have been thinking that this will be all forgotten the day we receive our cars but I am not so sure anymore. I have a funny feeling it will stick for while
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #549
menace33
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
I was thinking the same. I ordered my 45e back in February, and I was waiting for it in full lockdown (we were not allowed to leave our apartments). But I didn’t think about cancelling an order at any time. This will be over soon.

Anyway, the topic here is smth else. I have received an unofficial info from Munich today. They have no idea what to do about this!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #550
Tom dew
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace33 View Post
I was thinking the same. I ordered my 45e back in February, and I was waiting for it in full lockdown (we were not allowed to leave our apartments). But I didn’t think about cancelling an order at any time. This will be over soon.

Anyway, the topic here is smth else. I have received an unofficial info from Munich today. They have no idea what to do about this!
About what?
Appreciate 0