BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Maxton Lip Arrived!

Just received it today. $300 shipped through their USA website. Shipping was quick and timely. That said, when I unwrapped it, this is what I found. There is a thin plastic covering over the lip but it looks pretty banged up. . A reasonable person would conclude this was a returned product but perhaps it is perfect underneath the wrapping. Highly doubt it and I’m too afraid to peel it off and find out if they won’t take it back and blame me. Not supposed to remove until fitment is confirmed.

Anyone else have this experience? I’ve sent an email Maxton…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
It's fine underneath. Just peel the plastic
      08-07-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Mine was same as yours. I have not had chance to install it yet and I didn't peel it yet. According to some folks here, it should be ok when you pill it off. Make a pic after you install it !
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Removed the plastic and it was in perfect condition. Phew. Maxton replied back to my concerns promptly and advised to remove the plastic.

Install took me about 3 hours total. 914er’s instructions were pretty spot on. Don’t use the hardware it comes with, it isn’t long enough in most places to get through lip and oem bumper cover. I managed to secure a bolt in the three center pillars to make sure the center was tight. Did not use glue as I’d like to be able to remove this lip if I need and salvage the bumper. My hardware store did not have the nut plates so I had to squeeze me hand in there, use a wrench and hold the nut in place. That is what took the most time but I did it. Looks like it could be an OEM lip and very clean. Very satisfied and tired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
zed512
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Garage List
g80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM50I View Post
Removed the plastic and it was in perfect condition. Phew. Maxton replied back to my concerns promptly and advised to remove the plastic.

Install took me about 3 hours total. 914er’s instructions were pretty spot on. Don’t use the hardware it comes with, it isn’t long enough in most places to get through lip and oem bumper cover. I managed to secure a bolt in the three center pillars to make sure the center was tight. Did not use glue as I’d like to be able to remove this lip if I need and salvage the bumper. My hardware store did not have the nut plates so I had to squeeze me hand in there, use a wrench and hold the nut in place. That is what took the most time but I did it. Looks like it could be an OEM lip and very clean. Very satisfied and tired.
Looks great. Just ordered mine from ECS Tuning but expected delivery is in Jan'22 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed512 View Post
Looks great. Just ordered mine from ECS Tuning but expected delivery is in Jan'22 ?
Directly order from Maxton USA website. Shipping took 5 business days and was sent the day after purchase. Just cancel you’re order.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed512 View Post
Quote:

Install took me about 3 hours total. 914er's instructions were pretty spot on. Don't use the hardware it comes with, it isn't long enough in most places to get through lip and oem bumper cover. I managed to secure a bolt in the three center pillars to make sure the center was tight. Did not use glue as I'd like to be able to remove this lip if I need and salvage the bumper. My hardware store did not have the nut plates so I had to squeeze me hand in there, use a wrench and hold the nut in place. That is what took the most time but I did it. Looks like it could be an OEM lip and very clean. Very satisfied and tired.
I ordered from ecs on Wednesday and it got here today.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #8
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Quote:

Looks great! Can you share where the drilling points should be and how many in total?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #9
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep

I used 6 at the 1 & 1/4 inch length and 6 at the 1inch length. The longer bolts were for the inner three pillars (which bind both the upper and lower lips) and a few more in areas of the bumper where longer ones were needed. See picture. I highlighted in red where I managed to squeeze a bolt to secure the three pillar portions. Each bolt placed in the same place for all three pillars. When drilling I did not rely on 3m tape but instead fashioned some boxes together to hold the lip in place while I drilled. Having a friend help is even better I’m sure.

I drilled roughly every 3.5 inches.

Nuts (vibration fasteners) 1/4 inch - 20
Washers from the Maxton kit worked just fine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0