Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Thanks, I ordered this.

To confirm, as an alternative, if an electrician upgrades my regular wall socket from 110 to 220v, I still would need to buy a different plug/system than the one that comes with my 45e, to utilize the 220v correct?

To go from 110 to 220, you will have to replace the wiring and put in a dedicated circuit. You can't just change the socket. Then, yes you will need a different charger than the one that comes with the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
IS350117.00
      12-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #112
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
great thread! i just picked up my 45e a week ago. my electrician will install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage next week.

i almost went with the Tesla Gen 3 but decided against a hardwired setup. i went with this charger through Clipper Creek. i was impressed with their reviews on quality, customer service and tech support. they're based in CA. https://store.clippercreek.com/amazi...2014-50%20plug
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #113
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

I started this when we were getting ready for our x5 and I completed our home setup with Juice 40A WiFi charger. So far works fine, too much intelligence we need at this time but may be useful in the future. I usually overspend (like majority of BMW owners I guess?) so hopefully it will serve us for another EV in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #114
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
great thread! i just picked up my 45e a week ago. my electrician will install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage next week.
ANy of these could be installed as a plug-in by the purchase of an inexpensive plug. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...45HD/301864429

Or buy the connector and a hunk of appropriately sized cable. THat CC unit whether wired or plug-in is identical, they just added the plug,
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      12-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #115
Ghasley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi eTron; Cayenne

Enelx Juicebox 40
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #116
mdm_boulder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-4.5e M-Sport

J1772 Extension Cable

Looking for J1772 Extension Cable (20’).....any recommendations. Have a Enel X JuiceBox 40A.
Thanks!
M
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #117
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
the MyBMW app Charging History fails so often. anyone else? that makes 3 sessions this week alone. my biggest pet peeve is that i won't see today's charging session(s) data until tomorrow.

i installed and connected a new EVSE by emporia. this is their first residential EVSE, but they've already established themselves in the electric utility arena with their other products for electric monitoring/management, so their app already had some good data to look at while charging...real-time charging data, too! time will tell its durability, but the customer support response to questions has already been off-the-chain.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #118
lhorion
Registered
Rep

Good Morning,

I live in Houston and have owned an X5 45e for about 8 months now. By year end, I will be relocating to Belgium and I plan to ship my X5 with me (I will have no import tax). I am fully aware of all the limitations regarding Nav, ConnectedDrive, radio frequency, and hassles to get the car up to EU road standards (conversion). I am actively working on that.

This post is specifically about the possibility to recharge my X5 45e by plugging into EU electric outlet. My car has a MALE J-1772 plug. From looking last time I was traveling to Belgium, the most common is for EV charger cable coming off wall charger to be with FEMALE MENNEKES. So digging on the internet, I finally found on Amazon UK the correct cable for this: that is a cable with FEMALE J-1772 on one end (will connect to my car) and MALE MENNEKES on the other end (will connect to the standard EU Female Mennekes outlet). The cable is around £100, not a big deal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07...X7X7p13NParams

So this should resolve the plug compatibility issue. Could someone please indicate if this will work, or if my US-Spec X5 internal charger, for whatever reason, may NOT recharge on EU electric network? What this new cable resolves is geometrical compatibility between the US/EU plugs. I want to know if there may be a more profound problem of internal charger compatibility, or if those chargers are the same on X5 45e US-spec vs EU-spec.

This is very important for me to verify, as I am working to resolve all these issues ahead of my relocation to Belgium.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #119
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Can anyone recommend a good level 2 charger that meets this criteria?
- 40-50a (knowing the 45e only charges at a max 16a, I want to futureproof a bit)
- Reputable brand
- Clean lines, doesn't look cheesy when wall mounted
- App functionality, but not too reliant on the app for basic functionality

I'm coming into this tech completely blind, not knowing the first thing about reputable charger brands. Considering Juicebox, ChargePoint, Grizzl-e, and Wallbox at the moment. As with many tech products, many have 4.5/5 stars, but the negative reviews are very concerning, like firmware updates breaking the whole thing (in the case of the Juicebox) and the app being terrible.

I just want a basic charger that looks good in the garage and will give me a basic, functional app.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:05 AM   #120
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
a new kid on the block (though not new to electric monitoring) is emporia. I like it and its companion app and used mine only twice (already boxed) but I switched to one offered through my electric utility company with their incentive program. PM if interested; it's essentially new.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #121
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhorion View Post
What this new cable resolves is geometrical compatibility between the US/EU plugs. I want to know if there may be a more profound problem of internal charger compatibility, or if those chargers are the same on X5 45e US-spec vs EU-spec.

This is very important for me to verify, as I am working to resolve all these issues ahead of my relocation to Belgium.
The protocol is the same, how they achieve the interlock differences, should be transparent if the device is well made. One thing to consider is that 3-phase charging is available in Belgium I think, but probably not an issue if the J1772 plug is good.

Any time you introduce more parts in the path, there's the possibility of failures, but the 16A maximum charging rate on the X5 may not be stressing things very much.

Reprogramming the radio head system to use the different FM channel spacing might be tricky, but should be possible. Getting the nav maps changed could be problematic, but should be possible...just bureaucratically messy. Probably have to essentially pay for a new license.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #122
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
- 40-50a (knowing the 45e only charges at a max 16a, I want to futureproof a bit)
- Reputable brand

I'm coming into this tech completely blind, not knowing the first thing about reputable charger brands. Considering Juicebox, ChargePoint, Grizzl-e, and Wallbox at the moment. As with many tech products, many have 4.5/5 stars, but the negative reviews are very concerning, like firmware updates breaking the whole thing (in the case of the Juicebox) and the app being terrible.

I just want a basic charger that looks good in the garage and will give me a basic, functional app.
An app in the EVSE adds complexity, and may not gain you much, depending on what you're looking for. So, simple would not have an app, and there's not really much of anything otherwise that might need updating, so having a WiFi connection, again, isn't much. Some people prefer the statistics a smarter EVSE can provide, and may like the more robust off-peak charging logic...I've not found that useful for me, but I'm not able to get off-peak charging where I am. I did wire a panel device into the line feeding my EVSE that shows supply voltage, current drawn, and watts delivered...cost me about $20 on Amazon, and then a box extension, blank cover plate, a disconnect switch and a fuse added a little bit more. Cut the hole in the cover plate, snapped in the panel mount meter, then wired it up. The box extension gave everything enough room to meet the box loading requirements. I've got a Clipper Creek unit...bigger than it needs to be, but I had the wall space in the garage, it's US made, and has been working since 2014 when I installed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #123
bigeks357
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 45e M+Shadow CBM

I ended up going with a JuiceBox 40a plugin, so I could future-proof my work should I want another type of charger or take it with me when I move. I was compelled to buy it because I went to my power company's website to find out about any sort of rebate or connectivity. They support a few, ChargePoint being another. I'd think folks in the market for one would check power company first, as I got enough to cover the cost of the thing by identifying it on their grid so they can throttle it back on higher demand days. I went through the summer and noticed not a thing. Highly recommend the JuiceBox, and pairing it with the power company. I mounted it outside, on the side of the house at the driveway. the thing is mint and it's seen the full spectrum of weather. /endorse

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      09-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #124
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeks357 View Post
I was compelled to buy it because I went to my power company's website to find out about any sort of rebate or connectivity. They support a few, ChargePoint being another.[...] Highly recommend the JuiceBox, and pairing it with the power company.
do you use Dominion? Dominion Virginia also sponsors these two EVSE. i'm considering the JB and will link with Dominion's demand program. currently waiting on them to validate my account so i can purchase it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #125
bceye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
- Reputable brand

Chargepoint Home Flex hardwired install on a 60A circuit. This will give you 48A throughput. This is what I had installed, and working great so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 02:07 AM   #126
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

An EVSE derates the circuit it's installed in to 80% max, so that's why a 40A circuit goes to a max 32; a 50A to 40A; and a 60A one to 48A...right now there's an upper limit on EVSE level 2 charging, so larger won't buy you much if you can find one. I don't see a CCS unit becoming a typical homeowner install primarily because of the cost and that's if your power company would even consider providing enough power in a typical residential neighborhood. There are ways to store power over time until you plug the vehicle in, but that also adds to the overall costs to implement a CCS unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #127
bigeks357
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 45e M+Shadow CBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
do you use Dominion? Dominion Virginia also sponsors these two EVSE. i'm considering the JB and will link with Dominion's demand program. currently waiting on them to validate my account so i can purchase it.
I’m in New England - I use Eversource. As for load, I ran a 6g line from my box and dropped in a 50A fuse - that’s the protocol for a Tesla plug-in charger, and I wanted to keep all options open for resale or brand expansion in the driveway. Sure, we pull 16A on a 40A max device. The idea is efficiency and a lighter load on the system all around.

I had to do the same thing with Eversource - wait for them to validate before I bought. This isn’t an automated part of their business. I got an email from an actual person at the company when they pinged my device and got it up and running. Nice check showed up a couple days later. I’ve been pleased with the process despite the back and forth. It’s been seamless since activation. I don’t even think about it at all. Good luck!

Last edited by bigeks357; 09-19-2021 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      02-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #128
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

Wallbox Pulsar Plus 40A

Anyone installed a Wallbox Pulsar Plus to charge their 45e? How is it? Any issues?

https://wallbox.com/en_us/types-electric-car-chargers
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #129
Elcid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x45e

Wallbox Pulsar Plus

Had a WallBox Pulsar Plus (40A) installed a couple of months ago; hardwired on a 60A circuit. Just picked up our 45e about 2 weeks ago. Thus far, we are pleased with the WallBox EVSE. Does what it is supposed to do and the included App seems to work well. No problems to date, although we have not yet been using it for very long.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #130
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

thanks, thinking of this or the JuiceBox 40
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #131
wgreen71
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 X45e

Level 2 bad for the battery?

We just bought a wall box level 2 charger for our 2022 X5. Someone told my wife that using a level 2 charger all the time will destroy the battery. Problem is that using the level 1 charger takes over 24hours to recharge from zero to full so that is not sustainable. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #132
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Asking the same question in multiple threads is not very efficient!

No, not a pronblem.
Appreciate 0