nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwonder View Post
Looking to purchase a level 2 charger for 45e, is there a charger that would charge on specified times, my utility company offers subsidized rates from 9pm to 5am for EV charging,
you don't need a 'smart' level 2 to do so since you can already set the TOU in the vehicle and/or MyBMW app
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #156
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwonder View Post
Looking to purchase a level 2 charger for 45e, is there a charger that would charge on specified times, my utility company offers subsidized rates from 9pm to 5am for EV charging,
The programming IN the 45e allows you to set an off-peak charging window, so you don't NEED a smarter EVSE, but yes, that functionality is available on some of the EVSEs out there...they cost more. Some prefer the increased flexibility and some utility companies will give you a break if the EVSE is capable of being controlled by them to help avoid brownouts on the network. That requires the EVSE to have a WiFi connection, whose extra cost MIGHT be offset by savings from your utility company. If that's the situation, check with them to see which one(s) they support. Otherwise, just a simple charging window can be done without any special EVSE capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:46 PM   #157
magicwonder
Rep
Drives: MB

Thank you nZtiZia and jad03060, now what charger do you guys recommend?
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      03-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #158
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

It depends on what you want out of it. SOme love the statistics and flexibility of having a smart EVSE, some don't care. Some want one their utility can control to save them some money, not that many places offer that (but are likely to eventually). All you NEED is one to maximize your 45e's charging rate, which means 16A/240vac, but to help futureproof things, I'd get one larger, up to the level you can support with your current panel. If you go super big, you may need to up your service, and that can entail some significant costs. Eventually, you may want one that can support bi-directional charging (like the new Ford F150 - it should be able to power your house with the right hardware). The 45e does not support that, but your next PHEV or EV might.

I'd probably go for a 40A device which would call for a 50A branch circuit unless that's too much for your panel. If you anticipate maybe ever having two PHEV or an EV, then you'd maybe want to consider an EVSE that can charge two vehicles at once (but at a lower individual rate, not to exceed its maximum). So, you have to make some decisions.

A simple one is all I have. It's a Clipper Creek unit. There are others out there with varying capacities and features that may suit you better at different price points.
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      03-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #159
magicwonder
Rep
Drives: MB

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #160
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

So, I am looking to buy a charger and this grizzle has been positively reviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082LMVSLY...ing%20Stations

It appears to be "only" a 40A ("Maximum current output of 40 Amps for 50A circuit breaker"); is this a deal-killer? Should I be looking for a 50A? I'd like to future proof the project, and would hate to buy a device that works with the 45e but might not be adequate for what is coming down the pike
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 12:20 PM   #161
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
So, I am looking to buy a charger and this grizzle has been positively reviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082LMVSLY...ing%20Stations

It appears to be "only" a 40A ("Maximum current output of 40 Amps for 50A circuit breaker"); is this a deal-killer? Should I be looking for a 50A? I'd like to future proof the project, and would hate to buy a device that works with the 45e but might not be adequate for what is coming down the pike
That's the charger I went with and I think it's a great choice - inexpensive and somewhat futureproof. There's only so much future proofing you can do with technology changing so rapidly.
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      03-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #162
comebackidlci
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i

Does anyone think the LCI 45e can have a 6.6kwh charger? I know its wishful thinking but Lexus is offering this as a $800 option on the NX 450h+ on a 18kwh battery so it makes me think this is not difficult to do should they chose to
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #163
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Tesla wall connector, Gen 3 on a 60 amp circuit with a Lecgron J1772 adapter. I figure I’m future proofing for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #164
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
So, I am looking to buy a charger and this grizzle has been positively reviewed.[...]It appears to be "only" a 40A ("Maximum current output of 40 Amps for 50A circuit breaker"); is this a deal-killer? Should I be looking for a 50A? I'd like to future proof the project, and would hate to buy a device that works with the 45e but might not be adequate for what is coming down the pike
grizzl-e has good support (based out of Canada). kinda expensive being that it's not 'smart' if that isn't a need for you. ClipperCreek is highly reputable out of California with less expensive non-smart EVSE.

you're in VA. did you know Dominion offers discounts and rebates if you buy a ChargePoint or Juicebox through them? EDIT: it looks like they stopped offering the rebate.

what other vehicle models are you looking at in your future? if a PHEV, then 40A is more than adequate for quite some time. if a BEV, then may want to go 50A (requires 62.5A circuit)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-19-2022 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      03-19-2022, 01:54 PM   #165
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
grizzl-e has good support (based out of Canada). kinda expensive being that it's not 'smart' if that isn't a need for you. ClipperCreek is highly reputable out of California with less expensive non-smart EVSE.

you're in VA. did you know Dominion offers discounts and rebates if you buy a ChargePoint or Juicebox through them? EDIT: it looks like they stopped offering the rebate.

what other vehicle models are you looking at in your future? if a PHEV, then 40A is more than adequate for quite some time. if a BEV, then may want to go 50A (requires 62.5A circuit)
Thanks. I'm not looking at anything else at the moment. Just want to do whatever I can do to ensure what I buy does the trick going forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #166
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

The other good thing about the Grizzl-e is it's simple and built like a tank. It just does it's job without software issues and other complications that plague some other brands. BMW app charging tracking is fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #167
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Keep in mind, the charger is IN the vehicle...the EVSE is a smart (sort of) power cord, and doesn't really need much of any smarts in it - very simple logic and status unless you want more (like WiFi, programmability, statistics, etc.).

The US electrical code says you can't draw more than 80% of the capacity of the circuit, so that's why you need a 50A circuit for a 40A device. I think the maximum size EVSE supported by the protocol is a 70A device. If you go larger than that 40A device, the wiring prep starts to get a little more complex as it must be hard-wired and have a local disconnect switch (not positive on the exact number).

You'll not 'hurt' anything by having an EVSE either smaller or larger than the vehicle can use, but having one at least as large will minimize the time it takes to recharge the vehicle.

My general advice, go as large as you can with your current panel. UPgrading the panel and supply starts to get expensive, but may be useful if you plan additional remodeling down the line...might as well do it now. In my place, the largest I could go without major changes was a 40A circuit, so a max of 32A device. That's more than double what the X5 can use, and easily can recharge overnight my typical use. Keep in mind, you don't have to always leave with a full battery but what you DO want is to be able to put in enough so you can do as much EV or hybrid driving that next day as you want before you can start to fill it up again...everyone's use pattern may be different, so there may not be any 'need' to go even larger than the level 1 device supplied with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #168
chbmw
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

If, however, you just want a good, solid, inexpensive Level 2/Level 1 16a charger, I recently bought the Schumacher SC1455, and I can recommend it. It’s currently on sale at Napa Auto Parts online for $149.99 with free shipping (https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...455&referer=v2). You can knock another $5 off by signing up for emails.

Why this unit instead of the Lectron or other similar 16a Level 2/Level 1 combo chargers?

1. 28’ cord, unlike Lectron’s 21’.
2. Delivers full 16a charging power to my 45e, using regular outlet (110v) on a 20a circuit breaker. Confirmed full 16a (unlike chargers rated for 16a that only seem to deliver 12/13a).
3. Price is at least $50 less than the others right now.
4. Looks to be same exact charging box as Lectron.
5. Comes with adapter cord to plug in to regular outlet. It has a 6-20 plug (dryer outlet) if you want to use it for Level 2 (if you have a 6-20 outlet, wired for 220v).
6. Dust cap, and a hole for padlocking the J1772. Sure the vehicle locks it, but if you worry about theft from when it is not attached to your car, might come in handy to be able to lock it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:17 PM   #169
jimthompsonmd
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
L2 using extension cord and existing NEMA 10-30 Dryer Outlet?

Noob. Also cheapskate. Deeply grateful for the expertise in this thread.

Old house. 100Amp service; obvi full.
One circuit is 30A with a 220v 10-30 outlet we use for our dryer.

TL;DR: See title.

Assume I am willing to plug the dryer back in when I need it...

Any reason not to use my existing NEMA 10-30 dryer outlet? EVSE for this is only about $200 (MEGEAR; Lectron...).

Any reason not to use a 25 ft extension cord (all indoors) to get to that outlet?
I sorta get the general proscription around ext cords, but since the 45e pulls a max of 16A (right?) it doesn't seem like using an extension cord for this particular combo is particularly horrible.

Of most relevance for me:
Max diminution in charging time. Xcel Colorado is going to 10c/Kwh at night (summer) and 27c peak. And bedtime at my age is 9p so I don't need the dryer at night, LOL. Be nice to have the car start every day fully charged and have the TCO make me feel like I'm beating the Man.

Not relevant for me:
"Future proofing." I bought the car on a whim. As a car it's fabulous. But I might be too...spoiled...to bother with all the electrified car paradigm shift PIA. OTOH might end up going all in and get solar w/ a Tesla Powerwall.
"Better off upgrading your breaker panel." I get that.

WRT extension cords in general, I use the supplied L1 with a 12/3 extension cord, and it works fine. 16AWG ext cord definitely got warm at each end; my reason to use an extension cord at all with the L1 is to get to an outside outlet without any other loads on it; using the outlet in the garage flipped the breaker due to some other loads.

TIA, and ignore if the whole topic is just too lame to address. I'll then just try it out on my own and report back if it did, or did not, fail. (Unless I burn down the house or something.)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #170
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Not all extension cords are created equal, and, the socket on them can wear out providing very little spring contact.

If you have at least a 12g extension cord in good shape, it should work.

Plugging and removing things along with fairly high current can heat up the socket, and that, over time, weakens the spring tension, and that increases the resistance, which gets translated into heat and a voltage drop to the device at the end of the cord. In a worst case scenario, I've seen pictures of the plug melting because the socket's spring tension and thus resistance was too high.

What would be better is to extend that 30A service to a second socket and either just never use both devices at the same time, or have a transfer switch installed that wouldn't let both of the sockets be hot at the same time. Done right with the proper materials and good workmanship, you shouldn't have any loose connections and won't be needing to plug and unplug things all of the itme.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #171
jimthompsonmd
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
Many thanks!

I considered extending the 30A outlet but did not know it can be set up to avoid a simultaneous load at each socket. I'll look into that.
I assumed any 220-240v ext cord would be able to carry a 16A load w/o complaining, but will double-check the gauge before I use it as a temporary solution (pretty sure the one I have in mind is 10AWG).

Best.

Last edited by jimthompsonmd; 04-30-2022 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #172
Vettemanjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
What do you use in USA to charge your x5 45e?
Does BMW include only 115v charger with the car?
Will 115v really charge the battery overnight?

I have 50A outlet in my house so should be good to go with BMW or other brand level 2 charger. Any recommendation?
Thanks
Quote:

I have 50A outlet in my house so should be good to go with BMW or other brand level 2 charger. Any recommendation?
Thanks
The Tesla gen 3 wall unit is only $500 which is cheaper than all of the others on the market.

2) It goes up to 240 volts - 48 amps. Even though the X5 45e cannot use that much, other cars can. I think the X5 45e will only use a maximum of 240 volts - 16 amps.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #173
Vettemanjack
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks
e.g.,
(1.) find any 115/120v outlet, use charging cord blah, max 6a-10a
(2.) find a 240v outlet, use turbo cord
(3.) level 2, what?
(4.) Find a tesla charging station, use a tesla adapter like lectron or teslatap
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #174
Vettemanjack
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks
There is an adapter that lets any J-1772 EVs use the Tesla charging units. I planned to buy that adapter regardless so that I can use the Tesla charging units that are so common in luxury resort hotels around Florida.

4) I already have Tesla solar panels 16.4 kW and two Tesla Powerwall2 units (27 kWh of storage) in my garage. I read that Tesla is configuring all of these items to work together in their app, so it made sense to continue with the Tesla charging equipment to complete the system. Everything is Wifi enabled.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #175
Vettemanjack
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks
So you might ask, why didn't I just get a Tesla car like a Model X or a Model Y? Tesla has used up all of their $7,500 tax credits. BMW has not. The 2021 BMW X5 45e is a killer vehicle. I negotiated an 8% discount off of MSRP and I also get the $7,500 tax credit for this year. The Tesla Model X costs over $90,000+ to get one that has a decent amount of options. So the X5 is just way more cost affordable. With the amount that I drive in my commute, I will likely be in EV mode 95% of the time. Only long range trips will require any gas usage.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #176
Vettemanjack
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:

Thanks
bought the Aerovironment Dual TurboCord for when I travel and there is no Level 2 nearby or at the location I am staying at. I paid around $225 for it, and it is the same exact TurboCord the BMW offers for $500, just without the BMW branding (or markup).

But most likely yes, if it is anything like the 530e, the cord BMW provides is a 115/120 Occasional Use charging cord, and if I'm not mistaken, is limited to around 10/11 Amps, while the TurboCord is not and can also use a 240v 6-20 outlet, which is why I went ahead and got it.
Appreciate 1