BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-25-2022, 12:36 AM   #1
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Added Custom 8SL pigtail for OEM harness and stealth hitch X5 m50i

First I'd like to thank weinerbarn from another forum for helping me solve my wiring issue. I'll make a video once I have everything coded by Codemybimmer.ca to help others if interested. I ended up purchasing a stealth hitch tow package minus their wiring harness and went with the OEM harness and module. Steve from stealth hitches originally said if I help solve this they would send a case to hold my supplied hitches, but after giving some information regarding wiring( I sent an incomplete list I believe so likely not much help at all) I haven't heard anything back from them so if they reach out to anyone for help don't count on receiving anything promised. My X5 M50i did not come with the 8SL option so I followed another member with what they did to install an OEM harness and I also made my own pigtail. I have only Verified with a multimeter so far so coding is the ultimate test which will hopefully be done this week or the following. Here is the wiring setup for those interested. I'll try to answer in a timely manner, but my time is stretched thin at the moment so bear with me.

Pin 1 Brake Pin 5 Power Fuse 213
Pin 2 Blinker Pin 6 Brake controller
Pin 3 Power fuse 266 Pin 7 kCAN Lo
Pin 4 Power fuse 267 Pin 8 kCAN Hi

Those are the wires that need to be wired to make a pigtail from factory, the fuse locations to the back of the fuse panel you could probably use a different switched power source if you choose. I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure what is best to be honest as this is a mixture from Looking at diagrams and reading forums.

1. Brake wire was run to the 3rd brake light
2. Blinker was run to the green/blue to passenger tail light. (Still need to see if that source works once the AHM module is coded.)
3. Power wire run to back of fuse panel 266
4. Same as 3 to fuse 267
5. Same as 3&4 to fuse 213
6. Same as 3/4/5 to fuse 274 (brake controller straight to pollack connector)
7. To HKFM kCAN2 Lo
8. To HKFM kCAN2 Hi

3rd brake location:
The module wires circled in yellow connect the brake to the black wire.

Here is the route I ran for the brake wire to the 3rd brake. Again I'll make a video to better explain.

Here's where I connected the KCAN(Will be verified if these wires work once coded)

The beginning of my pigtail build: let me know if anyone is interested in building these to sell. Won't be cheap as materials alone are quite expensive plus my time, it took quite a while to build it and would rather have bought one myself if available.

The picture with yellow lines is my harness as well so you can see how well it blends in with the main harness.

The completed setup pictures should be here as well. The app keeps crashing so not sure what will load.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Chk_ris31.50
      10-25-2022, 12:38 AM   #2
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

The other photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 12:48 AM   #3
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Rest of the photos and progress
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mlurker145.50
      10-25-2022, 12:57 AM   #4
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wires connected to bus network, and after hiding, and wrapped with Tessa tape
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's the video I made to help those whom want to have an OEM Tow module wiring setup that never came with the 8SL option(Prewiring from factory to just add the harness). This will allow you to more easily obtain that. Everything works and confirmed with connecting a trailer. Coded by Steve Ma from codemybimmer.ca
      11-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #6
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

For the Pigtail to plug in to the tow harness like OEM if you prefer to make it you'll need these:

Tessa Tape( Friction tape matches BMWs)

These are the round pins:

8x of part # 61131376202KT

To remove the round pins you'll need this tool:

BMW-83300495676

And this connector:

OR
1378118 (Same as above)

Around$100-200 for parts depending on your area for shipping and cost wires etc. At least for those wanting to do it themselves now have that option with this information as I researched for a while to make this happen. I can always make the entire pigtail for $200+ shipping wrapped like mine so it'll be more plug and play as well. Just PM me. Let me know if y'all have any questions as I'll do my best to help out!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Looks great. Thanks for posting the extra info and video. Glad you decided to use the twisted pair of wires for the CAN connection. That's important since it's a networking protocol (think ethernet) that is subject to crosstalk and interference from the electrical wires running near it. The twist rate of the pair of wires helps cancel the noise out.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
Looks great. Thanks for posting the extra info and video. Glad you decided to use the twisted pair of wires for the CAN connection. That's important since it's a networking protocol (think ethernet) that is subject to crosstalk and interference from the electrical wires running near it. The twist rate of the pair of wires helps cancel the noise out.
Thanks again for the power source and explaining the CAN network. That helped cut down at least an extra several days to a week of research or testing. I'm not inclined in that specialty, but if all the can network wires were twisted I figured it was for a reason. Everything looks and functions great so again thank you!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2022, 11:57 PM   #9
BluewaterJeff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 X40i

Thumbs up Amazing Job!

Wow, let me say congratulations on this work you put into making the adapter harness to accept the OEM trailer harness & controller. This must have taken quite a bit of time to research and I really appreciate your efforts. The video is great and I may be attempting this mod myself as I have a none factory prepped 2022 X5 x40i that I would like to tow with.

One question, did you get all things like Trailer sway control and the camera modes to work?

Thanks again for your efforts! You must be an engineer.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #10
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for all photos, video, and explanation!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 10:37 AM   #11
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaterJeff View Post
Wow, let me say congratulations on this work you put into making the adapter harness to accept the OEM trailer harness & controller. This must have taken quite a bit of time to research and I really appreciate your efforts. The video is great and I may be attempting this mod myself as I have a none factory prepped 2022 X5 x40i that I would like to tow with.

One question, did you get all things like Trailer sway control and the camera modes to work?

Jeff
Yes as long as you install and program the BMW trailer control module, it works just like factory. The only drawback to it working exactly as factory is that it turns off the kick to open tailgate unless you use BimmerCode/BimmerUtility or similar to reenable.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 12:11 AM   #12
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaterJeff View Post

Jeff
Yes as long as you install and program the BMW trailer control module, it works just like factory. The only drawback to it working exactly as factory is that it turns off the kick to open tailgate unless you use BimmerCode/BimmerUtility or similar to reenable.

Help me better understand this…so if you code kick to open back…does that then cancel the oem towing modes and vice versa…or can you have your cake and East it too by reenabling kick to open and trailer mode ability arc the same time
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:36 PM   #13
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post

Help me better understand this…so if you code kick to open back…does that then cancel the oem towing modes and vice versa…or can you have your cake and East it too by reenabling kick to open and trailer mode ability arc the same time
I apologize as I haven’t been on in a while, but my kick to open works after I have disconnected from the trailer. Once the trailer is connected it disables kick to open, but enables once disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 04:24 PM   #14
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyDisillusioned View Post
I apologize as I haven’t been on in a while, but my kick to open works after I have disconnected from the trailer. Once the trailer is connected it disables kick to open, but enables once disconnected.
Interesting. The apparent reason is to avoid a swinging safety chain from accidentally opening the hatch.

But that doesn't explain why they disabled kick-to-open with the factory hitch by removing the sensor.
      03-30-2023, 06:04 AM   #15
WestfordChris
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Thank you for all this detailed information and research.

I am in a similar situation where I have been looking for used X5s with the tow package for 6-9 months and I finally gave up and bought a 2022 X5 m50i without a hitch and without the 8SL package for good measure.

Has anyone looked at the 8SL harness itself? I wonder if you can order that from BMW?
Is there an easier approach than running a wire all the way to the 3rd brake light?
Where does the factory pick up the kCAN2 bus?

I am towing a 6000 pound boat occasionally and a bike rack. It is cool everything works, but I wonder if the integration is really worth it?

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #16
weinerbarn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestfordChris View Post
Thank you for all this detailed information and research.

I am in a similar situation where I have been looking for used X5s with the tow package for 6-9 months and I finally gave up and bought a 2022 X5 m50i without a hitch and without the 8SL package for good measure.

Has anyone looked at the 8SL harness itself? I wonder if you can order that from BMW?
Is there an easier approach than running a wire all the way to the 3rd brake light?
Where does the factory pick up the kCAN2 bus?

I am towing a 6000 pound boat occasionally and a bike rack. It is cool everything works, but I wonder if the integration is really worth it?

Chris
Chris, the wiring done in this guide and my own were done essentially with the path of least resistance and still maintaining factory functions. The CAN wiring would normally go directly to the BDC which is located behind the glove box under the dash. The same goes for the brake controller connection. That would normally run up under the dash on the driver side. This would require taking out most of the trim panels, seats and carpet to run. There is no "retrofit" 8SL harness to add-on. The factory never designed an add-on. There are only repair harnesses in case of damage and these involve complete sections of an entire wiring harness which normally need to be spliced in. Only you can determine if the level of effort is worth it to you. However, if you're going to be pulling a 6000 pound boat on the highway, I'm sure the other drivers would appreciate you integrating it as close to factory as possible for safety of everyone.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #17
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Currently in the process of doing this myself, already ordered the parts and just have to get it wired up. I was running other wires to the front so I just ran a line for one of the wires to tap in to the BDC module for the 49ZR wire, and then just tapping the 54M and the 2 K-Can lines from the wires listed in the OP write-up, plus the 3 power wires. I didn't run a wire for the BC_Out as I am not adding the 4-pin plug up front, since I will just use a wireless brake controller.

The difference I found in my research is that according to the wiring diagram for the trailer socket preparation, Pin#6 on the 8SL connector is supposedly the BC_Out wire that goes to the 4 pin brake controller under the dash. There should only be 3 power wires for the 8SL connector which run to fuses F213 (15A), F240 (20A), and F289 (20A). I believe the confusion is that some of the wiring referenced in the other guides may have partly used the EU models wiring diagrams. Those have different wiring due to the power folding function, and they actually use 5 power wires, F213 (15A) straight to the Trailer Socket, and then F266, F240, and F289 (20A) and F267 (30A) all to the Trailer Module.

Here is the US model wiring diagram for the trailer prep socket for any who need it:

Last edited by roxxor; 03-30-2023 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2023, 07:06 AM   #18
WestfordChris
Rep

What gauge and color wires did you use? I have found this source of automotive wire by the foot in every color:

https://lswiring.com/collections/wire?page=13

They do not seem to sell the twisted cam bus wire, but I found that here:

https://store.ctr-electronics.com/can-bus-cable/

I am thinking about using posi-taps, so I need to determine the factory wire gauge and the gauge of wire I am building the harness out of.

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 07:27 AM   #19
WestfordChris
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
However, if you're going to be pulling a 6000 pound boat on the highway, I'm sure the other drivers would appreciate you integrating it as close to factory as possible for safety of everyone.
Thanks for your opinion, I feel similarly. I am currently towing the boat with an Acura MDX and have had no issues on the highway, but I have a lot of experience towing trailers. I only tow it twice a year back and forth to the marina. I bought the X5, with its higher tow capacity, with the thought of towing the boat to other bodies of water. Other than the sway control, the rest of the tow features seem like nice to-haves. I am well under the limit of the X5 and not towing a massive travel trailer with a huge sail-like cross-section.

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 07:57 AM   #20
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What gauge and color wires did you use? I have found this source of automotive wire by the foot in every color:

https://lswiring.com/collections/wire?page=13

They do not seem to sell the twisted cam bus wire, but I found that here:

https://store.ctr-electronics.com/can-bus-cable/

I am thinking about using posi-taps, so I need to determine the factory wire gauge and the gauge of wire I am building the harness out of.

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

Thanks,
Chris
I want to say the factory wires for the main harness were 20-22ga, and the power I might have used 12-14ga. I just stayed within parameters of the what amperage was being used for the power and fuse block to not cause fires. As far as color I just used Red, Blue, Black, CAN wires were yellow, and baby blue I believe. I just labeled each end of the wires and double verified with a meter to ensure connections were correct. I didn’t use factory color wires if that’s what you’re asking. I couldn’t find any so I didn’t bother since BMW will know anyways once they hook up the computer.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 08:04 AM   #21
WestfordChris
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyDisillusioned View Post
I want to say the factory wires for the main harness were 20-22ga, and the power I might have used 12-14ga. I just stayed within parameters of the what amperage was being used for the power and fuse block to not cause fires. As far as color I just used Red, Blue, Black, CAN wires were yellow, and baby blue I believe. I just labeled each end of the wires and double verified with a meter to ensure connections were correct. I didn’t use factory color wires if that’s what you’re asking. I couldn’t find any so I didn’t bother since BMW will know anyways once they hook up the computer.
Great thanks, I have an electrical engineering degree so I am pedantic about things like wire colors.

Why do you need to go up all the way to the brake light to pick up that signal? Does that black wire come down the driver's side? It seems like you are on the "inside" of the module up there, not on the actual light driver side. Did you look into that at all?

Finally, this is my first BWM in 21 years, my last was a 2001 M3, bought at Braman BMW if you are in South Florida. Where do you get the wiring diagrams?

Thanks,
Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #22
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Great thanks, I have an electrical engineering degree so I am pedantic about things like wire colors.

Why do you need to go up all the way to the brake light to pick up that signal? Does that black wire come down the driver's side? It seems like you are on the "inside" of the module up there, not on the actual light driver side. Did you look into that at all?

Finally, this is my first BWM in 21 years, my last was a 2001 M3. Where do you get the wiring diagrams?

Thanks,
Chris
Yeah I get that especially things pertaining to your specialty haha. Honestly I looked over the BMW TIS online which is like $30/day multiple times. The brake light unit to me, as weinberbarn did, was the easiest and cleanest pure brake signal source. I’m sure on the drivers side you could find that wire, but I didn’t want to remove any more paneling and search for wires. As it was quicker to just run the wire from a know source.
Appreciate 0